    Does anyone have any clues or cures?

    Thanks

    Paul
    E. Paul Wileyto, Aug 4, 2004

  2. E. Paul Wileyto

    RichC Guest

    "E. Paul Wileyto" <> wrote in message news:<ceqof6$fq6c$>...
    > We have just purchased our first DVD player (people kept giving us DVDs
    > instead of tapes). It is a Sony entry- level player, and we connected
    > it to a ca. 1994 Sony TV through the usual red/white/yellow nipples in
    > the back. Picture is great, but the audio has a buzz sound in the
    > background. Thought it might be grounding, but the buzz varies with
    > what is on the screen. Text/menus are the worst, and it varies from
    > scene to scene.
    >
    > Does anyone have any clues or cures?

    Try turning the brightness *way* down on the TV.

    By the way, those are "jacks," not "nipples."

    RichC
    RichC, Aug 4, 2004

  3. E. Paul Wileyto

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > Try turning the brightness *way* down on the TV.
    >
    > By the way, those are "jacks," not "nipples."

    "Nipples" is so much more evocative though.

    I'd also suggest better quality cabling to see if that affects it at all.
    Could be that the one you're using isn't probably shielded.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    Mike Jackson, Aug 4, 2004
  4. >I'd also suggest better quality cabling to see if that affects it at all.
    >Could be that the one you're using isn't probably shielded.

    Another possibility could be that the cables might be located too close to
    something that can bleed noise into the audio feed, like if the dangling cables
    were too close to the TV set. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Aug 5, 2004
  5. E. Paul Wileyto

    jb Guest

    > > We have just purchased our first DVD player (people kept giving us DVDs
    > > instead of tapes). It is a Sony entry- level player, and we connected
    > > it to a ca. 1994 Sony TV through the usual red/white/yellow nipples in
    > > the back. Picture is great, but the audio has a buzz sound in the
    > > background. Thought it might be grounding, but the buzz varies with
    > > what is on the screen. Text/menus are the worst, and it varies from
    > > scene to scene.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any clues or cures?

    > Try turning the brightness *way* down on the TV.

    and the contrast while looking at a menu or something that makes the most
    noise

    > By the way, those are "jacks," not "nipples."
    >
    > RichC

    OR... if you have a stereo/reciver in the same room you could connect the
    dvd player's audio up to the reciever and the noise should definetly be gone
    then.(and get better sound too)
    jb, Aug 5, 2004
  6. >We have just purchased our first DVD player (people kept giving us DVDs
    >instead of tapes). It is a Sony entry- level player, and we connected
    >it to a ca. 1994 Sony TV through the usual red/white/yellow nipples in
    >the back. Picture is great, but the audio has a buzz sound in the
    >background. Thought it might be

    >grounding, but the buzz varies with
    >what is on the screen. Text/menus are the worst, and it varies from
    >scene to scene.

    After reading the other replies to this message, most seemed unhelpful. The
    replies to "turn the brightness down" seemed to actually be trying to be
    helpful. However, I very much doubt that that is the problem.

    It seems to me as if you have one of the audio jacks connected to one of the
    video jacks.

    That will make a buzzing noise that is related to the picture on the screen.

    check: a cord from the yellow video out jack should be going to the yellow
    video in jack on the other device.

    a cord from the white audio jack should be going to the white audio in jack.

    and of course, ead audio jack to red audio jack.

    but you know that.

    It seems to me as if you accidentally connected the wrong cord to the wrong
    jack.

    Recheck your cords. I can verify for a fact that when the audio cord is
    connected to the video jack, it will make a buzzing ofthe sort that you have
    described in your post.
    Waterperson77, Aug 11, 2004
  7. E. Paul Wileyto

    stankley Guest

    (Waterperson77) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >We have just purchased our first DVD player (people kept giving us DVDs
    > >instead of tapes). It is a Sony entry- level player, and we connected
    > >it to a ca. 1994 Sony TV through the usual red/white/yellow nipples in
    > >the back. Picture is great, but the audio has a buzz sound in the
    > >background. Thought it might be

    > >grounding, but the buzz varies with
    > >what is on the screen. Text/menus are the worst, and it varies from
    > >scene to scene.

    > After reading the other replies to this message, most seemed unhelpful. The
    > replies to "turn the brightness down" seemed to actually be trying to be
    > helpful. However, I very much doubt that that is the problem.
    >
    > It seems to me as if you have one of the audio jacks connected to one of the
    > video jacks.
    >
    > That will make a buzzing noise that is related to the picture on the screen.
    >
    > check: a cord from the yellow video out jack should be going to the yellow
    > video in jack on the other device.
    >
    > a cord from the white audio jack should be going to the white audio in jack.
    >
    > and of course, ead audio jack to red audio jack.
    >
    > but you know that.
    >
    > It seems to me as if you accidentally connected the wrong cord to the wrong
    > jack.
    >
    > Recheck your cords. I can verify for a fact that when the audio cord is
    > connected to the video jack, it will make a buzzing ofthe sort that you have
    > described in your post.

    And that's a helpful response is it? The poster clearly stated the
    picture was excellent and that he's using red/white/yellow nipples.
    How, pray, can he therefore have plugged the audio cable into the
    yellow nipple? He's getting video out of the left audio channel is
    he? ;-)
    stankley, Aug 12, 2004
  8. E. Paul Wileyto

    Richard C. Guest

    :
[...]
    ===================================
    You are 100% "unhelpful" with your ignorant response.
    Richard C., Aug 13, 2004
  9. E. Paul Wileyto

    clarkworks

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I just did a google search to get help on figuring out why my Sony DVD player creates a buzz sound and came across this thread. The TV is in an alcove and radios get interference there too, so I thought it was something I wasn't going to be able to solve. The reply about the wires being plugged to the wrong outlets seemed like a "too simple to be true" solution, but lo and behold, that's exactly what the problem was. The video jacks on the back of the DVD player weren't in a row and the red jack was mistakenly plugged into a purple outlet ... problem solved! Thank you so much to the person who posted this solution (Waterperson77?). Pay no attention to those people who posted that your solution was so unhelpful ... it was perfect for me!

    PS: any ideas why my radio gets interference in that alcove?
    clarkworks, Aug 11, 2011
  10. E. Paul Wileyto

    Fockbone

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Gee what's with the narky responses? I found most if them useful. I found the thread through google as I had the same problem. Guess what? I had the red cable in the nipple for the wrong component. Thanks for helping. Dave
    Fockbone, Jan 19, 2012
  11. E. Paul Wileyto

    ish kabibbles

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    waterperson was right...mostly.
    my red cable was plugged into one of two possible red holes in the back of the dvd player. i changed it and all the buzzing problems went away. good job waterperson!
    ish kabibbles, Jan 28, 2012
  12. E. Paul Wileyto

    SHASTAUDOC

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Very Helpful!

    We've had that annoying buzz from our DVD player for a couple of weeks, so I just googled and found your thread. Sure enough, somehow the red plug was plugged into the wrong red slot. My husband moved it around, and it's fixed! Thank you!
    SHASTAUDOC, Feb 8, 2013
  13. E. Paul Wileyto

    alabaster.clown

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Yep, red plug for me too.
    My tv only has one red jack, so taking out the red plug stops the buzz. No stereo sound, but I'd rather have mono sound than annoying stereo buzzing.
    Not exactly "video in audio" but a lot closer than every other response.
    ... seems to me that stankley and Richard C. have no idea what they are talking about
    :question::guru::congrats:
    alabaster.clown, Feb 16, 2013