    organisation to do this would be gratefully received.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 10, 2006

  2. EMB

    Vista Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    news:ebe6s8$ong$...
    >I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
    >Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support (8am to
    >6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a reputable
    >organisation to do this would be gratefully received.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    You could try http://www.dataview.co.nz/ . You would need quite a large
    comapny to provide that level of support, so they would need an ongoing
    maintenance contract.
    Vista, Aug 10, 2006

  3. EMB

    Allistar Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
    >>Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support (8am
    >>6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a reputable
    >>organisation to do this would be gratefully received.
    >>
    >> --
    >> EMB

    > You could try http://www.dataview.co.nz/ . You would need quite a large
    > comapny to provide that level of support, so they would need an ongoing
    > maintenance contract.

    Yes, an individual or sole trader couldn't provide that sort of support
    unless they have absolutely no personal life.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 10, 2006
  4. EMB

    thingy Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
    > Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support (8am
    > to 6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a reputable
    > organisation to do this would be gratefully received.

    City?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 10, 2006
  5. EMB

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
    >> Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support
    >> (8am to 6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a
    >> reputable organisation to do this would be gratefully received.
    >>

    > City?

    Auckland, but it really doesn't matter if they're in Patagonia provided
    they can create and support an app that meets my client's requirements.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 10, 2006
  6. EMB

    whome Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > thingy wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:
    >>> I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
    >>> Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support (8am
    >>> to 6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a reputable
    >>> organisation to do this would be gratefully received.
    >>>

    >> City?

    > Auckland, but it really doesn't matter if they're in Patagonia provided
    > they can create and support an app that meets my client's requirements.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    The new age.
    whome, Aug 10, 2006
  7. EMB

    thingy Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> EMB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
    >>> Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support
    >>> (8am to 6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a
    >>> reputable organisation to do this would be gratefully received.
    >>>

    >> City?

    > Auckland, but it really doesn't matter if they're in Patagonia provided
    > they can create and support an app that meets my client's requirements.

    You do not actually say what level of support, 2 hour response? 1? 4?

    My experience with small companies is they lack the true capability to
    do 365 days a year and the big guys will want insane money...probably
    for the scale I suspect you want, something close to of the shelf as
    youcan get it and get someone who will be hosting it as well.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 10, 2006
  8. EMB

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > You do not actually say what level of support, 2 hour response? 1? 4?
    >
    > My experience with small companies is they lack the true capability to
    > do 365 days a year and the big guys will want insane money...probably
    > for the scale I suspect you want, something close to of the shelf as
    > youcan get it and get someone who will be hosting it as well.

    A 2 hour max response on the support. And unfortunately this app has to
    do all sorts of clever things that pretty much rule out anything than a
    bespoke solution.

    I'd rather retain control of where it is hosted myself. It'll need a
    managed backup regime and pretty good hardware support for the server
    and I'm already leasing a box that meets those requirements.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 10, 2006
  9. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > Yes, an individual or sole trader couldn't provide that sort of support
    > unless they have absolutely no personal life.

    That's why I have declined to do the development of it. This is
    actually going to be the 2nd attempt - against my better advice they got
    a one man band to create something for them. It's not overly functional
    and the support is somewhat lacking (he went overseas for 3 weeks
    without bothering to tell anyone and it fell over in his absence).

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 10, 2006
  10. EMB

    Allistar Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, an individual or sole trader couldn't provide that sort of support
    >> unless they have absolutely no personal life.

    > That's why I have declined to do the development of it. This is
    > actually going to be the 2nd attempt - against my better advice they got
    > a one man band to create something for them. It's not overly functional
    > and the support is somewhat lacking (he went overseas for 3 weeks
    > without bothering to tell anyone and it fell over in his absence).

    Oh dear. Not a good look.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 10, 2006
  11. EMB

    Baloo Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
    > Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support (8am
    > to 6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a reputable
    > organisation to do this would be gratefully received.

    My wife has the skills to develop this type of application and enough
    contact with the local web community to arrange for the level of cover
    this client appears to require, however, she cannot take on any new work
    until the Monday after Labour Weekend. Not sure how urgent the client
    is, but if her time frame would suit, please contact her on
    b.m.mcrobieATorconDOTnetDOTnz (replace the obvious)
    Baloo, Aug 22, 2006