Help wanted with WGet

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    I'm trying to use WGet under Windows XP to download a file each hour and
    place it in a specific directory for my radio station playout software
    to find.

    I have studied the WGet doc file, bujt I cannot find how to force the
    file always to be saved in the one specific place. There seems no
    command-line parameter to say:
    write this file to q:\newsfiles.

    What is happening instead is that it writes the file to a directory
    named as the IP address of the host. and the subdirectory in which it is
    stored on that host. So: 192.168.45.54/feeds/filename.

    That would be manageable, if annoying, but it is now taking to creating
    another level in the .../feeds subdir called 192.168.45.54/feeds/!

    I'm assuming this is a dissonance between the coders of this clever
    software, the writers of the dox and me - they see things thru
    different glasses than I do.

    Can anyone here point me to an answer?

    Philip

    Philip, Feb 22, 2006

  2. Philip

    Allistar Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > I'm trying to use WGet under Windows XP to download a file each hour and
    > place it in a specific directory for my radio station playout software
    > to find.
    >
    > I have studied the WGet doc file, bujt I cannot find how to force the
    > file always to be saved in the one specific place. There seems no
    > command-line parameter to say:
    > write this file to q:\newsfiles.
    >
    > What is happening instead is that it writes the file to a directory
    > named as the IP address of the host. and the subdirectory in which it is
    > stored on that host. So: 192.168.45.54/feeds/filename.
    >
    > That would be manageable, if annoying, but it is now taking to creating
    > another level in the .../feeds subdir called 192.168.45.54/feeds/!
    >
    > I'm assuming this is a dissonance between the coders of this clever
    > software, the writers of the dox and me - they see things thru
    > different glasses than I do.
    >
    > Can anyone here point me to an answer?
    >
    > Philip

    Try the "cut-dirs" switch. Something like:

    -nH --cutdirs=2

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Feb 22, 2006

  3. Philip

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Allistar wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to use WGet under Windows XP to download a file each hour and
    >> place it in a specific directory for my radio station playout software
    >> to find.
    >>
    >> I have studied the WGet doc file, bujt I cannot find how to force the
    >> file always to be saved in the one specific place. There seems no
    >> command-line parameter to say:
    >> write this file to q:\newsfiles.
    >>
    >> What is happening instead is that it writes the file to a directory
    >> named as the IP address of the host. and the subdirectory in which it is
    >> stored on that host. So: 192.168.45.54/feeds/filename.
    >>
    >> That would be manageable, if annoying, but it is now taking to creating
    >> another level in the .../feeds subdir called 192.168.45.54/feeds/!
    >>
    >> I'm assuming this is a dissonance between the coders of this clever
    >> software, the writers of the dox and me - they see things thru
    >> different glasses than I do.
    >>
    >> Can anyone here point me to an answer?
    >>
    >> Philip

    > Try the "cut-dirs" switch. Something like:
    >
    > -nH --cutdirs=2
    >
    > Allistar.

    Or this?

    -O --output-document=FILE write documents to FILE.

    ChrisOD, Feb 24, 2006