    Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
    plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?

    Any help appreciated

    John, Feb 25, 2012

  2. John

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:22:34 +0000, John wrote:

    > I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
    >
    > At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room where
    > the router is.
    >
    > Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and plug
    > a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
    >
    > Any help appreciated

    Yes.

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Feb 25, 2012

  3. John

    Owain Guest

    On Feb 25, 10:22 pm, John wrote:
    > I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
    >
    > At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
    > where the router is.
    >
    > Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
    > plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?

    You'd use a switch/hub rather than a router

    Owain

    Owain, Feb 25, 2012
  4. John

    Graham. Guest

    wrote:

    >I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
    >
    >At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
    >where the router is.
    >
    >Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
    >plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
    >
    >Any help appreciated

    Yes you can.

    You will be using the router as a network switch only.

    When you boot up your computer, there is a 50:50 chance that
    it will obtain its IP address and gateway information from the wrong
    router and will consequently have no Internet access. The same thing
    applies to the ATA.

    To prevent this you should access the con figs of the additional ATA
    and disable its DHCP server.

    Alternatively you can give your computer, ATA, and any other client
    devices a static IP address.

    Another thing to consider is if you connect a DECT base to the ATA it
    can stay in the room with the router, and the phone could still live
    by the computer on a second charger.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 26, 2012
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 00:55:29 +0000, Graham. <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:22:34 +0000, John <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
    >>
    >>At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
    >>where the router is.
    >>
    >>Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
    >>plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
    >>
    >>Any help appreciated

    >Yes you can.
    >
    >You will be using the router as a network switch only.
    >
    >When you boot up your computer, there is a 50:50 chance that
    >it will obtain its IP address and gateway information from the wrong
    >router and will consequently have no Internet access. The same thing
    >applies to the ATA.
    >
    >To prevent this you should access the con figs of the additional ATA
    >and disable its DHCP server.
    >
    >Alternatively you can give your computer, ATA, and any other client
    >devices a static IP address.
    >
    >Another thing to consider is if you connect a DECT base to the ATA it
    >can stay in the room with the router, and the phone could still live
    >by the computer on a second charger.

    Thanks Graham, and everyone else who replied.

    I like the dect idea as well.

    John, Feb 26, 2012
  6. In article <>,
    John <> wrote:
    >I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
    >
    >At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
    >where the router is.
    >
    >Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
    >plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
    >
    >Any help appreciated

    You want a switch not a router. e.g. a 4 or 5 port unit which should
    cost you £15 or so.

    However, rather than an ATA, you could buy a gigaset DECT unit. The
    base is separate from the handset(s), so you can locate the base next
    to your router and plug the base into both your router and your incoming
    (BT) phone line. Then the one handset can answer either landline
    or VoIP calls, and place outgoing calls via either. They can handle
    6 VoIP accounts too, and some models have built-in answering machines.
    The handsets can be programmed to use any account by default too, and
    only ring on come (or all) incoming calls.

    Another option (not one I recomend unless you're really OK with the
    wiring) is to remove the front plate of your BT master socket, move it
    to a new NTE5 base, then connect the ATA to the incoming BT line as well
    as the Ethernet connection to the router - connect this to the new NTE5
    base, then all your existing house phones are then connected to the ATA
    which (presumably) will have commands to select either the BT line or
    the VoIP line, and hopefully present a different ringing cadience to
    the phones to let you know which line is being called. It's a bit fiddly
    but might be worth it if you have an investment in existing phones and
    phone wiring in your house... (And you have an ATA with an FXO port)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Feb 26, 2012
  7. On 25/02/2012 22:22, John wrote:
    > I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
    >
    > At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
    > where the router is.
    >
    > Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
    > plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
    >
    > Any help appreciated

    If your goal is to have the ATA by your PC for whatever reason, you
    could get an ATA that also works as a router.

    For example, I have an SPA2012. You can plug the PC end of your long
    ethernet cable into that, and connect your PC to the ATA - no extra
    router or switch required. That particular model will only allow
    7.5Mbit through to your computer (which may or may not be an issue for
    you), but will have the advantage that voice will take priority over
    other traffic from your PC, and with no additional router configuration.

    --
    www.winenous.co.uk

    Steve Slatcher, Feb 26, 2012
  8. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:30:55 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >John <> wrote:
    >>I will shortly be buying an ATA for use with my voip number.
    >>
    >>At present my desktop pc is on a 15m ethernet cable from the room
    >>where the router is.
    >>
    >>Can I attach another router to the pc end of the ethernet cable and
    >>plug a short ethernet cable from the pc into it as well as the ata?
    >>
    >>Any help appreciated

    >You want a switch not a router. e.g. a 4 or 5 port unit which should
    >cost you £15 or so.
    >
    >However, rather than an ATA, you could buy a gigaset DECT unit. The
    >base is separate from the handset(s), so you can locate the base next
    >to your router and plug the base into both your router and your incoming
    >(BT) phone line. Then the one handset can answer either landline
    >or VoIP calls, and place outgoing calls via either. They can handle
    >6 VoIP accounts too, and some models have built-in answering machines.
    >The handsets can be programmed to use any account by default too, and
    >only ring on come (or all) incoming calls.

    I like the look of this. Many thanks for the info.

    John, Feb 26, 2012