Help wanted with knowledge gap.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I've recently had a HDD come into my possesion. It's a Samsung Spinpoint
    80GB that was used in a machine in a hot place with no effort made in the
    placement of the drive in the case to facilitate cooling.

    I got the machine to troubleshoot as it kept crashing out of Windows, with
    increasing frequency as it got hotter. It got to the stage where it wouldn't
    boot. I replaced the drive and migrated all the data off it onto the
    replacement, it was completely accessable as a slave drive. For my troubles
    I got to keep the Samsung.

    Anyway, it seems that there's something wrong with the MFT or somesuch. Not
    only won't it boot but I can't install Windows to it, the installation
    routine gives an error. (Can't remember what).

    So, I decided to use it as a a data drive. An external USB data drive to be
    exact. It works fine as such. I use it to back up certain folders from my
    main machine and also to transfer files to other machines.

    My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win 89SE
    and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition so they can
    see it as well. XP won't do this for me. Can anyone advise me of how to do
    this? (The 98SE machines are running the "Unnoficial Service Pack" if that
    means anything. I haven't tried formatting FAT32 with 98SE yet as those
    machines only have USB1.1 and it's slooooow accessing the drive. However, I
    will if that's a workable option. I just didn't want to delete the current
    50GB of data and try it if it's not going to work).

    Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up my
    folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole folder or just
    doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files selectively. It would be
    reall nice to just plug it in and run a program that just copied the changed
    or recently added files from the (identically named) source folders. Am I
    asking too much? I have several back-up solutions (Some that will do
    incremental back-ups) but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry,
    compressed format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    originals. That way I can access them from another machine.

    Any help on these two problems?

    Thanks heaps for any help.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 25, 2006

  2. ~misfit~

    MarkH Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win
    > 89SE and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition so
    > they can see it as well. XP won't do this for me. Can anyone advise me
    > of how to do this? (The 98SE machines are running the "Unnoficial
    > Service Pack" if that means anything. I haven't tried formatting FAT32
    > with 98SE yet as those machines only have USB1.1 and it's slooooow
    > accessing the drive. However, I will if that's a workable option. I
    > just didn't want to delete the current 50GB of data and try it if it's
    > not going to work).

    There is no technical reason why Win98 cannot format an 80GB partition as
    FAT32. However, to use the drive with the Win98 PCs you really should get a
    USB2 PCI card that comes with Win98 drivers (around $25 to $30), otherwise
    the speed will be pathetic.

    Of course you could easily use more than one partition.

    > Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up
    > my folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole
    > folder or just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files
    > selectively. It would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a
    > program that just copied the changed or recently added files from the
    > (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much? I have
    > several back-up solutions (Some that will do incremental back-ups) but
    > they all insist on backing up to some proprietry, compressed format. I
    > just want the files to be backed up as identical to the originals.
    > That way I can access them from another machine.

    XCOPY? If you use XCOPY /D then it will just copy the newer files. Type
    XCOPY/? from the command prompt for the list of options.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Jan 25, 2006

  3. "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win
    >> 89SE and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition so
    >> they can see it as well. XP won't do this for me. Can anyone advise me
    >> of how to do this? (The 98SE machines are running the "Unnoficial
    >> Service Pack" if that means anything. I haven't tried formatting FAT32
    >> with 98SE yet as those machines only have USB1.1 and it's slooooow
    >> accessing the drive. However, I will if that's a workable option. I
    >> just didn't want to delete the current 50GB of data and try it if it's
    >> not going to work).

    > There is no technical reason why Win98 cannot format an 80GB partition as
    > FAT32. However, to use the drive with the Win98 PCs you really should get
    > USB2 PCI card that comes with Win98 drivers (around $25 to $30), otherwise
    > the speed will be pathetic.
    >
    > Of course you could easily use more than one partition.
    >
    >> Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up
    >> my folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole
    >> folder or just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files
    >> selectively. It would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a
    >> program that just copied the changed or recently added files from the
    >> (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much? I have
    >> several back-up solutions (Some that will do incremental back-ups) but
    >> they all insist on backing up to some proprietry, compressed format. I
    >> just want the files to be backed up as identical to the originals.
    >> That way I can access them from another machine.

    > XCOPY? If you use XCOPY /D then it will just copy the newer files. Type
    > XCOPY/? from the command prompt for the list of options.
    >

    > --
    > Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    > See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 5-September-05)
    > "The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
    > young woman. There was no possible way she could have been mistaken
    > for a young man in any language, especially Braille."
    > Maskerade

    Or, try ...microsoft synctoy...very very nice piece of software.

    Just setup this thing to echo from one folder to another. You can schedule
    this to run automatically via windows task scheduler.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...54-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 26, 2006
  4. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win 89SE
    > and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition so they can
    > see it as well. XP won't do this for me.

    Boot a live Linux CD and create the partition.

    Then format it as "vfat".

    Presto.....a Windows partition.

    steve, Jan 26, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I've recently had a HDD come into my possesion. It's a Samsung Spinpoint
    > 80GB that was used in a machine in a hot place with no effort made in the
    > placement of the drive in the case to facilitate cooling.
    >
    > I got the machine to troubleshoot as it kept crashing out of Windows, with
    > increasing frequency as it got hotter. It got to the stage where it wouldn't
    > boot. I replaced the drive and migrated all the data off it onto the
    > replacement, it was completely accessable as a slave drive. For my troubles
    > I got to keep the Samsung.
    >
    > Anyway, it seems that there's something wrong with the MFT or somesuch. Not
    > only won't it boot but I can't install Windows to it, the installation
    > routine gives an error. (Can't remember what).
    >
    > So, I decided to use it as a a data drive. An external USB data drive to be
    > exact. It works fine as such. I use it to back up certain folders from my
    > main machine and also to transfer files to other machines.
    >
    > My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win 89SE
    > and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition so they can
    > see it as well. XP won't do this for me. Can anyone advise me of how to do
    > this? (The 98SE machines are running the "Unnoficial Service Pack" if that
    > means anything. I haven't tried formatting FAT32 with 98SE yet as those
    > machines only have USB1.1 and it's slooooow accessing the drive. However, I
    > will if that's a workable option. I just didn't want to delete the current
    > 50GB of data and try it if it's not going to work).
    >
    > Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up my
    > folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole folder or just
    > doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files selectively. It would be
    > reall nice to just plug it in and run a program that just copied the changed
    > or recently added files from the (identically named) source folders. Am I
    > asking too much? I have several back-up solutions (Some that will do
    > incremental back-ups) but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry,
    > compressed format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    > originals. That way I can access them from another machine.
    >
    > Any help on these two problems?

    No, but given the drive's history, have you run a SMART reporting tool
    on it?

    Something like HDD Tune, HDD Health or Everest Home Edition will tell
    you more than you might like to know about the drive and may be able to
    indicate if some kinds of failure are likely. Usually SMART enabled
    drives will report serious errors on boot, but you need one of those
    tools to see what has been happening before things get too serious.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 26, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:22:16 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up my
    > folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole folder or just
    > doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files selectively. It would be
    > reall nice to just plug it in and run a program that just copied the changed
    > or recently added files from the (identically named) source folders. Am I
    > asking too much?

    Have you seen Cobian backup?

    http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

    Set it up the backup what you want when you want and four types of backup.
    Compression, or not, as you wish.

    Option is keep x number of backup copies.

    Gordon, Jan 26, 2006
  7. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I've recently had a HDD come into my possesion. It's a Samsung Spinpoint
    > 80GB that was used in a machine in a hot place with no effort made in the
    > placement of the drive in the case to facilitate cooling.
    >
    > I got the machine to troubleshoot as it kept crashing out of Windows, with
    > increasing frequency as it got hotter. It got to the stage where it
    > wouldn't boot. I replaced the drive and migrated all the data off it onto
    > the replacement, it was completely accessable as a slave drive. For my
    > troubles I got to keep the Samsung.
    >
    > Anyway, it seems that there's something wrong with the MFT or somesuch.
    > Not only won't it boot but I can't install Windows to it, the installation
    > routine gives an error. (Can't remember what).
    >
    > So, I decided to use it as a a data drive. An external USB data drive to
    > be exact. It works fine as such. I use it to back up certain folders from
    > my main machine and also to transfer files to other machines.
    >
    > My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win 89SE
    > and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition so they can
    > see it as well. XP won't do this for me. Can anyone advise me of how to do
    > this? (The 98SE machines are running the "Unnoficial Service Pack" if that
    > means anything. I haven't tried formatting FAT32 with 98SE yet as those
    > machines only have USB1.1 and it's slooooow accessing the drive. However,
    > I will if that's a workable option. I just didn't want to delete the
    > current 50GB of data and try it if it's not going to work).
    >
    > Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up my
    > folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole folder or
    > just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files selectively. It
    > would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a program that just copied
    > the changed or recently added files from the (identically named) source
    > folders. Am I asking too much? I have several back-up solutions (Some that
    > will do incremental back-ups) but they all insist on backing up to some
    > proprietry, compressed format. I just want the files to be backed up as
    > identical to the originals. That way I can access them from another
    > machine.
    >
    > Any help on these two problems?
    >
    > Thanks heaps for any help.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Hi
    Try this one..it's freeware :)

    http://3d2f.com/programs/0-39-syncback-download.shtml

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Jan 26, 2006
  8. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:47:02 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > Or, try ...microsoft synctoy...very very nice piece of software.
    >
    > Just setup this thing to echo from one folder to another. You can schedule
    > this to run automatically via windows task scheduler.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...54-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

    Something is wrong, it says its Microsoft web site and yet it reads like
    the PR people were sleeping when this was released. The tone/language is
    like from someone who has been involved in its creation. These are people
    who believe that the software is useful. We have built this programme to
    help people. They explain the problem in a real world way, no gloss
    bullshit here.

    Still, when you give it away, you can focus on the software.

    The other thing which is strange is that the programme size is only 844KB.

    To quote

    Overview
    SyncToy v1.0 is available as a free download on the Microsoft Download Center.
    The easy to use, customizable application helps you copy, move, rename,
    and delete files between folders and computers.

    There are new sources of files coming from every direction: digital cameras, e-mail,
    cell phones, portable media players, camcorders, PDAs, and laptops.
    Increasingly, computer users are using different folders, drives, and even
    different computers (such as a laptop and a desktop) to store and retrieve
    files. Yet managing hundreds or thousands of files is still largely a
    manual operation. In some cases it is necessary to get copies of files
    from one place; in other cases there is a need to keep two storage
    locations exactly in sync. Some users manage files manually, dragging and
    dropping from one place to another and keeping a mental card catalog in
    their heads. Others use one or more applications to provide this
    functionality for them.

    Now there is an easier way. SyncToy, a free PowerToy for Microsoft Windows XP,
    is an easy to use, highly customizable program that helps users to do the
    heavy lifting involved with the copying, moving, and synchronization of
    different directories. Most common operations can be performed with just a
    few clicks of the mouse, and additional customization is available without
    added complexity. SyncToy can manage multiple sets of folders at the same
    time; it can combine files from two folders in one case, and mimic renames
    and deletes in another. Unlike other applications, SyncToy actually keeps
    track of renames to files and will make sure those changes get carried
    over to the synchronized folder.

    We listened to your feedback. SyncToy was released as a beta in early August 2005.
    We collected feedback from the discussion forum on the Windows XP
    Professional Photography web site, from the customer feedback survey in
    the product (to access the online survey, open SyncToy and select Help,
    then select Customer Feedback), from a large number of professional and
    hobbyist photographers at Microsoft, and from various world-wide forums,
    sites, reviews and blogs on the web. Most of you (55%) asked for the
    ability to type in a UNC path to select a folder. We added this feature
    between the beta release and the current v1.0 release. Features we added

    To end quote.

    Gordon, Jan 26, 2006
  9. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    Ah Ha Firefox has MS interest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:47:02 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > Or, try ...microsoft synctoy...very very nice piece of software.
    >
    > Just setup this thing to echo from one folder to another. You can schedule
    > this to run automatically via windows task scheduler.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...54-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

    Right then gentle people, the aim of posting a URL is so that others may
    visit it. Which I did. Web browser, Firefox, platform Linux.

    So after trying to download the file I arrive here

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...54-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

    Which says in part

    Windows Genuine Advantage plug-in installation

    Some downloads are made available only after users have validated their
    versions of Microsoft Windows. Firefox and Netscape Navigator browser
    users may install a helper program, the Windows Genuine Advantage plug-in,
    to enhance their download experience.

    Unquote

    Now this is interesting. Must switch platforms and try again using
    Firefox. Nevertheless why should a web broswer need a MS plug in, to
    download a file?

    So you want to stop non genuine windows users, read ripped off copies of
    users, not being able to get this piece of software. Fair enuff, so why
    not put in the programme a check?

    So the ripped off copy versions user can not get this programme, I suggest
    that there are alternatives out there and they will be used. Sorry but I
    trust these.

    More importantly what does this progarmme (the plug in ) do to ones
    system? ( After all Sony has shown us what is possible, but technically
    and policy wise from a big multi national company )

    A FAQ from MS is here

    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/do...54-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displayLang=en

    In part

    Q:

    What is an ActiveX control, and how is it used in the validation process?

    An ActiveX control is a small, executable code package that users of
    Internet Explorer can download and run on their PCs. The Windows Genuine
    Advantage validation process uses the ActiveX control to check the
    authenticity of your Windows software. If the ActiveX control successfully
    validates your Windows software, it stores a special download key on your
    PC for future use.

    Q:

    Are ActiveX controls safe to run on my PC?

    ActiveX controls are officially signed with their publisher’s name, which
    allows you to judge for yourself whether or not they are safe to run on
    your PC. The official signature is listed prominently in a dialog box that
    is displayed before the control is installed on your system. If an ActiveX
    control does not contain a valid publisher signature, Internet Explorer
    will prompt you with a security warning and prevent you from downloading
    it to your PC.

    Q:

    How do I know if the ActiveX control used by WGA is safe to run on my PC?

    The first time you request a genuine Windows download from the Download
    Center or Windows Update, you will be asked to install an ActiveX control.
    The ActiveX control used by Windows Genuine Advantage is signed by
    Microsoft Corp. If you do not see sufficient evidence of this signature,
    you should not download the control.

    Q:

    Some companies do not allow employees to install ActiveX.
    How can they take advantage of the WGA validation process?

    Users can validate using the alternative method, which entails running a small
    executable file. A link for the executable file is available on the page
    containing the instructions for the ActiveX control.

    Q:

    Will the validation process work with the Firefox Web browser?

    Yes, you can complete the validation process using the Firefox Web browser.
    Users of the Firefox browser are automatically offered a Firefox browser
    plug-in for WGA validation and instructions for plug-in installation. The
    browser plug-in provides the same Windows validation as the ActiveX
    control. English-language users who have trouble running the Firefox
    browser plug-in may access the WGA Diagnostic Site for troubleshooting.

    Q:

    Will the validation process work with non-Microsoft Web browsers?

    Yes, you can complete the validation process using a non-Microsoft Web browser.
    Mozilla Firefox users: Although the instructions for the validation tool
    executable file say to open or run the file from its current location,
    Firefox will not present you with either of those options. Instead, save
    the file to your PC, and then double-click the file to run it.

    Q:

    Will systems running WINE pass WGA validation?

    Wine is an implementation of the Windows 3.x and Win32 APIs on top of X
    and Unix. When WGA validation detects WINE running on the system, it will
    notify users that they are running non-genuine Windows, and it will not
    allow genuine Windows downloads for that system. Users of WINE should
    consult the WINE community for WINE updates. It is important to note that
    WINE users, and other users of non-genuine Windows, can continue to
    download updates for most Microsoft applications from Microsoft
    application-specific sites, such as Office Update

    Unquote.

    All very interesting stuff.

    Firefox and *inx has entered the MS web site.

    Another question, If MS activation system is so shit hot as they have said
    it is, how the hell are their ripped off copies out there?

    As it is not Sunday, and yet I can hear some bells ringing I shall move
    away from all of this as suddenly I have lost interest.

    Gordon, Jan 26, 2006
  10. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up
    > my folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole
    > folder or just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files
    > selectively. It would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a
    > program that just copied the changed or recently added files from the
    > (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much? I have
    > several back-up solutions (Some that will do incremental back-ups)
    > but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry, compressed
    > format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    > originals. That way I can access them from another machine.

    xcopy comes with Windows. I think that it goes back to 98SE but I'm not
    sure.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 26, 2006
  11. ~misfit~

    Jerry Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up
    >> my folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole
    >> folder or just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files
    >> selectively. It would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a
    >> program that just copied the changed or recently added files from the
    >> (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much? I have
    >> several back-up solutions (Some that will do incremental back-ups)
    >> but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry, compressed
    >> format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    >> originals. That way I can access them from another machine.
    >>

    > xcopy comes with Windows. I think that it goes back to 98SE but I'm not
    > sure.

    It goes back a lot further than 98SE. It goes back to DOS sumpin or
    other. Don't you youngsters know anything? :p

    Jerry, Jan 26, 2006
  12. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    wrote:

    >I've recently had a HDD come into my possesion. It's a Samsung Spinpoint
    >80GB that was used in a machine in a hot place with no effort made in the
    >placement of the drive in the case to facilitate cooling.
    >
    >I got the machine to troubleshoot as it kept crashing out of Windows, with
    >increasing frequency as it got hotter. It got to the stage where it wouldn't
    >boot. I replaced the drive and migrated all the data off it onto the
    >replacement, it was completely accessable as a slave drive. For my troubles
    >I got to keep the Samsung.
    >
    >Anyway, it seems that there's something wrong with the MFT or somesuch. Not
    >only won't it boot but I can't install Windows to it, the installation
    >routine gives an error. (Can't remember what).
    >
    >So, I decided to use it as a a data drive. An external USB data drive to be
    >exact. It works fine as such. I use it to back up certain folders from my
    >main machine and also to transfer files to other machines.
    >
    >My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win 89SE
    >and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition so they can
    >see it as well. XP won't do this for me. Can anyone advise me of how to do
    >this? (The 98SE machines are running the "Unnoficial Service Pack" if that
    >means anything. I haven't tried formatting FAT32 with 98SE yet as those
    >machines only have USB1.1 and it's slooooow accessing the drive. However, I
    >will if that's a workable option. I just didn't want to delete the current
    >50GB of data and try it if it's not going to work).

    I take it that the drive is currently NTFS? You could use BootItNG from
    http://www.bootitng.com to convert it to FAT32.

    It does partition resizing and conversion. The free demo works OK. It runs
    from a boot disk. It'll be a bit slow over USB, especially with 50GB of data,
    but it'll get there eventually. You could use Partition Magic or similar but
    I don't know if their demo version will do this.

    BootItNG is also a boot manager, when it first starts up remember NOT to
    choose the option to install it on your hard drive. It does disk imaging as
    well. It's a very handy utility and well worth the registration fee if you're
    looking at buying.

    >Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up my
    >folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole folder or just
    >doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files selectively. It would be
    >reall nice to just plug it in and run a program that just copied the changed
    >or recently added files from the (identically named) source folders. Am I
    >asking too much? I have several back-up solutions (Some that will do
    >incremental back-ups) but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry,
    >compressed format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    >originals. That way I can access them from another machine.

    Xcopy will do this. You can put it in a batch file, e.g.

    xcopy "c:\Documents and Settings\Joe Bloggs\My Documents\*.*" "f:\Documents\"
    /drchevy

    That should be all one line. Just add another line with the appropriate paths
    to backup from other locations. Check the xcopy documentation:

    xcopy /?

    to see what all the switches do.

    Dr. Chevy is how I remember the command line switches I usually use :)

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Jan 26, 2006
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:22:16 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing
    >> up my folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole
    >> folder or just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files
    >> selectively. It would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a
    >> program that just copied the changed or recently added files from
    >> the (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much?

    > Have you seen Cobian backup?
    >
    > http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
    >
    > Set it up the backup what you want when you want and four types of
    > backup. Compression, or not, as you wish.
    >
    > Option is keep x number of backup copies.

    Interesting, thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2006
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
> [...]

    >> program that just copied the changed or recently added files from
    >> the (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much? I have
    >> several back-up solutions (Some that will do incremental back-ups)
    >> but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry, compressed
    >> format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    >> originals. That way I can access them from another machine.

    > Xcopy will do this. You can put it in a batch file, e.g.
    >
    > xcopy "c:\Documents and Settings\Joe Bloggs\My Documents\*.*"
    > "f:\Documents\" /drchevy
    >
    > That should be all one line. Just add another line with the
    > appropriate paths to backup from other locations. Check the xcopy
    > documentation:
    >
    > xcopy /?
    >
    > to see what all the switches do.
    >
    > Dr. Chevy is how I remember the command line switches I usually use

    Thanks Ray.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2006
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently had a HDD come into my possesion. It's a Samsung
    >> Spinpoint 80GB that was used in a machine in a hot place with no
    >> effort made in the placement of the drive in the case to facilitate
    >> cooling.
    >>
    >> I got the machine to troubleshoot as it kept crashing out of
    >> Windows, with increasing frequency as it got hotter. It got to the
    >> stage where it wouldn't boot. I replaced the drive and migrated all
    >> the data off it onto the replacement, it was completely accessable
    >> as a slave drive. For my troubles I got to keep the Samsung.
    >>
    >> Anyway, it seems that there's something wrong with the MFT or
    >> somesuch. Not only won't it boot but I can't install Windows to it,
    >> the installation routine gives an error. (Can't remember what).
    >>
    >> So, I decided to use it as a a data drive. An external USB data
    >> drive to be exact. It works fine as such. I use it to back up
    >> certain folders from my main machine and also to transfer files to
    >> other machines.
    >>
    >> My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win
    >> 89SE and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition
    >> so they can see it as well. XP won't do this for me. Can anyone
    >> advise me of how to do this? (The 98SE machines are running the
    >> "Unnoficial Service Pack" if that means anything. I haven't tried
    >> formatting FAT32 with 98SE yet as those machines only have USB1.1
    >> and it's slooooow accessing the drive. However, I will if that's a
    >> workable option. I just didn't want to delete the current 50GB of
    >> data and try it if it's not going to work).
    >>
    >> Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing
    >> up my folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole
    >> folder or just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files
    >> selectively. It would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a
    >> program that just copied the changed or recently added files from
    >> the (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much? I have
    >> several back-up solutions (Some that will do incremental back-ups)
    >> but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry, compressed
    >> format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    >> originals. That way I can access them from another machine.
    >>
    >> Any help on these two problems?
    >>
    >> Thanks heaps for any help.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Hi
    > Try this one..it's freeware :)
    >
    > http://3d2f.com/programs/0-39-syncback-download.shtml

    Grabbed it, thanks Malcolm.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2006
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up
    >> my folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole
    >> folder or just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files
    >> selectively. It would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a
    >> program that just copied the changed or recently added files from the
    >> (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much? I have
    >> several back-up solutions (Some that will do incremental back-ups)
    >> but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry, compressed
    >> format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    >> originals. That way I can access them from another machine.
    >>

    > xcopy comes with Windows. I think that it goes back to 98SE but I'm
    > not sure.

    Thanks (and to the others who mentioned xcopy). I was just looking for
    something a bit more... ummm... graphical. I left the command line long ago
    and have got a bit rusty with it, ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2006
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I've recently had a HDD come into my possesion. It's a Samsung
    >> Spinpoint 80GB that was used in a machine in a hot place with no
    >> effort made in the placement of the drive in the case to facilitate
    >> cooling. I got the machine to troubleshoot as it kept crashing out of
    >> Windows, with increasing frequency as it got hotter. It got to the
    >> stage where it wouldn't boot. I replaced the drive and migrated all
    >> the data off it onto the replacement, it was completely accessable
    >> as a slave drive. For my troubles I got to keep the Samsung.
    >>
    >> Anyway, it seems that there's something wrong with the MFT or
    >> somesuch. Not only won't it boot but I can't install Windows to it,
    >> the installation routine gives an error. (Can't remember what).
    >>
    >> So, I decided to use it as a a data drive. An external USB data
    >> drive to be exact. It works fine as such. I use it to back up
    >> certain folders from my main machine and also to transfer files to
    >> other machines. My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are
    >> running Win
    >> 89SE and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition
    >> so they can see it as well. XP won't do this for me. Can anyone
    >> advise me of how to do this? (The 98SE machines are running the
    >> "Unnoficial Service Pack" if that means anything. I haven't tried
    >> formatting FAT32 with 98SE yet as those machines only have USB1.1
    >> and it's slooooow accessing the drive. However, I will if that's a
    >> workable option. I just didn't want to delete the current 50GB of
    >> data and try it if it's not going to work). Also, I need a freeware
    >> mirroring program. It gets tedious backing
    >> up my folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole
    >> folder or just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files
    >> selectively. It would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a
    >> program that just copied the changed or recently added files from
    >> the (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much? I have
    >> several back-up solutions (Some that will do incremental back-ups)
    >> but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry, compressed
    >> format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    >> originals. That way I can access them from another machine. Any help on
    >> these two problems?

    > No, but given the drive's history, have you run a SMART reporting tool
    > on it?
    >
    > Something like HDD Tune, HDD Health or Everest Home Edition will tell
    > you more than you might like to know about the drive and may be able
    > to indicate if some kinds of failure are likely. Usually SMART enabled
    > drives will report serious errors on boot, but you need one of those
    > tools to see what has been happening before things get too serious.

    I've run SMART on it and, as with a lot of drives, it's mostly gibberish.
    However, I used the SMART tool with Speedfan. I'll try others.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2006
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win
    >> 89SE and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition
    >> so they can see it as well. XP won't do this for me. Can anyone
    >> advise me of how to do this? (The 98SE machines are running the
    >> "Unnoficial Service Pack" if that means anything. I haven't tried
    >> formatting FAT32 with 98SE yet as those machines only have USB1.1
    >> and it's slooooow accessing the drive. However, I will if that's a
    >> workable option. I just didn't want to delete the current 50GB of
    >> data and try it if it's not going to work).

    > There is no technical reason why Win98 cannot format an 80GB
    > partition as FAT32.

    Ok, thanks. I know that XP won't as I deleted all my backups, deleted the
    partition, the went to format it in FAT32. That option was greyed out...
    so.. I formatted it with NTFS and copied all my files back.

    > However, to use the drive with the Win98 PCs you
    > really should get a USB2 PCI card that comes with Win98 drivers
    > (around $25 to $30), otherwise the speed will be pathetic.
    >
    > Of course you could easily use more than one partition.

    I prefer just the one in this case.

    >> Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing up
    >> my folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole
    >> folder or just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files
    >> selectively. It would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a
    >> program that just copied the changed or recently added files from the
    >> (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much? I have
    >> several back-up solutions (Some that will do incremental back-ups)
    >> but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry, compressed
    >> format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    >> originals. That way I can access them from another machine.

    > XCOPY? If you use XCOPY /D then it will just copy the newer files.
    > Type XCOPY/? from the command prompt for the list of options.

    Cheers Mark,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2006
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win
    >>> 89SE and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition
    >>> so they can see it as well. XP won't do this for me. Can anyone
    >>> advise me of how to do this? (The 98SE machines are running the
    >>> "Unnoficial Service Pack" if that means anything. I haven't tried
    >>> formatting FAT32 with 98SE yet as those machines only have USB1.1
    >>> and it's slooooow accessing the drive. However, I will if that's a
    >>> workable option. I just didn't want to delete the current 50GB of
    >>> data and try it if it's not going to work).

    >> There is no technical reason why Win98 cannot format an 80GB
    >> partition as FAT32. However, to use the drive with the Win98 PCs
    >> you really should get a
    >> USB2 PCI card that comes with Win98 drivers (around $25 to $30),
    >> otherwise the speed will be pathetic.
    >>
    >> Of course you could easily use more than one partition.
    >>
    >>> Also, I need a freeware mirroring program. It gets tedious backing
    >>> up my folders to the drive each time, either over-writing the whole
    >>> folder or just doing an eye-ball comparison and copying the files
    >>> selectively. It would be reall nice to just plug it in and run a
    >>> program that just copied the changed or recently added files from
    >>> the (identically named) source folders. Am I asking too much? I have
    >>> several back-up solutions (Some that will do incremental back-ups)
    >>> but they all insist on backing up to some proprietry, compressed
    >>> format. I just want the files to be backed up as identical to the
    >>> originals. That way I can access them from another machine.

    >> XCOPY? If you use XCOPY /D then it will just copy the newer files.
    >> Type XCOPY/? from the command prompt for the list of options.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    >> See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 5-September-05)
    >> "The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
    >> young woman. There was no possible way she could have been mistaken
    >> for a young man in any language, especially Braille."
    >> Maskerade

    > Or, try ...microsoft synctoy...very very nice piece of software.
    >
    > Just setup this thing to echo from one folder to another. You can
    > schedule this to run automatically via windows task scheduler.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...54-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2006
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> My problem? I still have a couple machines here that are running Win
    >> 89SE and would like to format the drive with FAT32 as one partition
    >> so they can see it as well. XP won't do this for me.

    > Boot a live Linux CD and create the partition.
    >
    > Then format it as "vfat".
    >
    > Presto.....a Windows partition.

    Heh! I'm so Linux-illiterate that I even have trouble navigating my way
    around with live CDs. (I have Knoppix and Ubuntu).

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2006