    any pre-install steps I should do prior to installation? When I browse
    the CD it asks if I want to install w98 now??? Unsure?
    Any advice will be greatly apprecieted. Thank you. Felix

    Felix, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Felix

    philo Guest

    "Felix" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have windows 95 4.00 950a running on a Dell 133MH 64Mg with 1+ GB of
    > free space with IE5.5. I have a CD with windows 98 Non-OEM??). Can I
    > install w98 on this config? Can I install right over w95? Are there
    > any pre-install steps I should do prior to installation? When I browse
    > the CD it asks if I want to install w98 now??? Unsure?
    > Any advice will be greatly apprecieted. Thank you. Felix

    i believe you may need to uninstall IE5.5 first
    also
    if your win98 cd is the full version
    you will have to first rename win.com (in your windows folder)
    then reboot using a cd support bootdisk

    to do an upgrade, you will also have to be sure to install in your
    original C:\windows folder (if it defaults to c:\windows.000)

    philo, Aug 5, 2003

  3. be careful..i did this with a dell 133 and i lost my cd rom until i could
    goa nd get teh fix.

    Not a Happy Camper, Aug 5, 2003
  4. Felix

    John Hudson Guest

    If your description of "OEM" means not an original or copy of win 98 and not
    a restore disk from one of the OEM vendors (Dell, Compaq, Gateway and the
    infamous HP) you should be fine. Win 98 is a much larger program so you will
    loose a lot of the speed you have come used to with only 64 megs of ram

    John Hudson, Aug 6, 2003
  5. Felix

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 22:43:02 +0100, "Paul - xxx" <> wrote:

    >Felix tried to scribble ...
    >
    >> I have windows 95 4.00 950a running on a Dell 133MH 64Mg with 1+ GB of
    >> free space with IE5.5. I have a CD with windows 98 Non-OEM??). Can I
    >> install w98 on this config? Can I install right over w95? Are there
    >> any pre-install steps I should do prior to installation? When I browse
    >> the CD it asks if I want to install w98 now??? Unsure?
    >> Any advice will be greatly apprecieted. Thank you. Felix

    >It _should_ work .. My son runs a P133 with 48M ram and a 4 gig HD that
    >originally had W95 on but now has W98SE on .. ;)

    I have a 6x86 PR266 with 32 megs RAM and 3 gig HD which runs W98SE.

    >It isn't blindingly fast, but it _does_ work .. ;)
    >
    >If your W98 CD is a 'real' one go ahead, if it's a copy, be wary
    >..especially if it's your only computer system .. ;)
    >

    >--
    >............................Paul - xxx
    >http://www.tvlicensing.biz/
    >Seti 1845 wu in 14059 hours
    >http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Aug 6, 2003
  6. Felix

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:26:54 -0400, "Not a Happy Camper" <> wrote:

    >be careful..i did this with a dell 133 and i lost my cd rom until i could
    >goa nd get teh fix.

    How long did it take U 2 goa nd get teh fix?

    Barry OGrady, Aug 6, 2003
  7. Felix

    Shep© Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 16:29:08 -0500, In this world we created Felix
    <> wrote :

    >I have windows 95 4.00 950a running on a Dell 133MH 64Mg with 1+ GB of
    >free space with IE5.5. I have a CD with windows 98 Non-OEM??). Can I
    >install w98 on this config? Can I install right over w95? Are there
    >any pre-install steps I should do prior to installation? When I browse
    >the CD it asks if I want to install w98 now??? Unsure?
    >Any advice will be greatly apprecieted. Thank you. Felix

    http://www.netpathway.com/~kramer/reinstall.html

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,