    file which can recreate any missing one file so long as the others are okay.
    The Par2 files are small is comparison. Thanks.

    Y.
    Dig Dug, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Dig Dug

    SwissTony Guest

    "Dig Dug" <> wrote in message
    news:KZB8d.492289$...
    > How do you repair a file with a Par2 file? I have done it with a regular

    Par
    > file which can recreate any missing one file so long as the others are

    okay.
    > The Par2 files are small is comparison. Thanks.
    >
    > Y.

    I was looking on google for the same thing yesterday
    Found this, i beleive its free to use and its a piece of p*ss
    http://www.quickpar.org.uk/
    SwissTony, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Dig Dug

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:46:02 GMT, Dig Dug wrote:

    >How do you repair a file with a Par2 file? I have done it with a regular Par
    >file which can recreate any missing one file so long as the others are okay.
    >The Par2 files are small is comparison. Thanks.

    Where does WinRAR come into this?

    www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 42,200 English pages for
    how to use par2
    (0.46 seconds)

    The PAR2s are a series of files, the filename.PAR2 is the basic list
    check for all the parts. After that there are a number of

    filename volxxx+yyy.PAR2

    It's these recovery files that do the repair. The par files usually come
    in increasing size anything from 2 to 20 files and size from a few KB to
    75MB.

    A DVD backup I made ended up with about 739MB of PAR2s.

    Not used many PARs a few things I tried come with PAR2. AFAIK it's the
    same method. The application I use for both is -
    http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

    Me
    why?, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Dig Dug

    PJB Guest

    "Dig Dug" <> wrote in message
    net...
    > How do you repair a file with a Par2 file? I have done it

    with a regular Par
    > file which can recreate any missing one file so long as

    the others are okay.
    > The Par2 files are small is comparison. Thanks.
    >
    > Y.

    seek out a copy of QuikPar, that can handle PAR & PAR2 files
    without problem.

    P.
    PJB, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Dig Dug

    DC Guest

    Re: Repairing files using Par2 (was: Help W/ WinRaR?)

    Dig Dug wrote:
    > How do you repair a file with a Par2 file? I have done it with a regular Par
    > file which can recreate any missing one file so long as the others are okay.
    > The Par2 files are small is comparison. Thanks.

    RARs and Par2s are completely unrelated. I fixed your subject for you,
    although the other replies already contain the advice you needed.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
    of nothing.
    DC, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Dig Dug

    why? Guest

    On 5 Oct 2004 21:03:04 GMT, DC wrote:

    >Dig Dug wrote:
    >> How do you repair a file with a Par2 file? I have done it with a regular Par
    >> file which can recreate any missing one file so long as the others are okay.
    >> The Par2 files are small is comparison. Thanks.

    >RARs and Par2s are completely unrelated. I fixed your subject for you,
    >although the other replies already contain the advice you needed.

    Argh!!!!!!!

    Please DON'T alter subject lines, for newsreaders that thread by
    subject, the thread breaks.

    Me
    why?, Oct 5, 2004
  7. why? wrote:

    > On 5 Oct 2004 21:03:04 GMT, DC wrote:

    >>Dig Dug wrote:
    >>> How do you repair a file with a Par2 file? I have done it with a regular Par
    >>> file which can recreate any missing one file so long as the others are okay.
    >>> The Par2 files are small is comparison. Thanks.

    >>RARs and Par2s are completely unrelated. I fixed your subject for you,
    >>although the other replies already contain the advice you needed.

    > Argh!!!!!!!

    > Please DON'T alter subject lines, for newsreaders that thread by
    > subject, the thread breaks.

    Yeah, I don't much care for Agent. ;)

    I'm used to a reader that lets user configure it to keep same thread or
    show it as new one.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Double Blue - Wolverines and Dodgers
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 5, 2004
  8. Dig Dug

    why? wrote:

    > On 5 Oct 2004 21:03:04 GMT, DC wrote:

    >>Dig Dug wrote:
    >>> How do you repair a file with a Par2 file? I have done it with a regular Par
    >>> file which can recreate any missing one file so long as the others are okay.
    >>> The Par2 files are small is comparison. Thanks.

    >>RARs and Par2s are completely unrelated. I fixed your subject for you,
    >>although the other replies already contain the advice you needed.

    > Argh!!!!!!!

    > Please DON'T alter subject lines, for newsreaders that thread by
    > subject, the thread breaks.

    Well, golly. Don't blow a gasket, ol' buddy. }:O)

    All the newsreaders I've used make the "start new thread when subject
    changes" a user selectable option. I'm pretty sure that Agent has this
    option -- you might consider changing it.

    DC, Oct 6, 2004
  9. Dig Dug

    why? Guest

    On 5 Oct 2004 23:10:13 GMT, DC wrote:

    >why? wrote:

    >>>RARs and Par2s are completely unrelated. I fixed your subject for you,
    >>>although the other replies already contain the advice you needed.

    >> Argh!!!!!!!

    >> Please DON'T alter subject lines, for newsreaders that thread by
    >> subject, the thread breaks.

    >Well, golly. Don't blow a gasket, ol' buddy. }:O)
    >
    >All the newsreaders I've used make the "start new thread when subject
    >changes" a user selectable option. I'm pretty sure that Agent has this
    >option -- you might consider changing it.

    My comment was a general observation.

    Why should I change *my* settings? (when it wasn't even the OP changing
    the subject)

    Agent does. I have unticked enable threading by subject and don't start
    a new thread when subject changes years ago.

    The OP hasn't replied about WinRAR and the subject really didn't drift
    off to another (unrelated) topic.

    Although changing the subject is mentioned in many guides on Netiquette
    for Usenet it's not something that happens often in 24HSHD (fairly free
    format replies happen all the time) but is commonly acceptable in other
    groups where not doing it is equally commented upon.

    Me
    why?, Oct 6, 2004
  10. Dig Dug

    why? wrote:

    > On 5 Oct 2004 23:10:13 GMT, DC wrote:

    >>why? wrote:

    >>> Argh!!!!!!!

    >>> Please DON'T alter subject lines, for newsreaders that thread by
    >>> subject, the thread breaks.

    >>Well, golly. Don't blow a gasket, ol' buddy. }:O)

    >>All the newsreaders I've used make the "start new thread when subject
    >>changes" a user selectable option. I'm pretty sure that Agent has this
    >>option -- you might consider changing it.

    > My comment was a general observation.

    Do you start all of your general observations with "Argh!!!!!!" ? Maybe
    you should cut back on the double expresso? };O)

    Also, you followed that with a pleading request that I not do it.

    > Why should I change *my* settings? (when it wasn't even the OP changing
    > the subject)

    Because, *you* don't like the way *your* newsreader is threading posts?

    > Agent does. I have unticked enable threading by subject and don't start
    > a new thread when subject changes years ago.

    }%O\

    So, your problem is... ?

    > The OP hasn't replied about WinRAR and the subject really didn't drift
    > off to another (unrelated) topic.

    That would be because WinRAR had *nothing* to do with his question. I
    figured that a more appropriate subject might help him get more replies
    on his actual problem. The original post drifted from the subject topic
    the moment the OP began typing the bloody message itself!

    > Although changing the subject is mentioned in many guides on Netiquette

    Yes, is is mentioned in most FAQs. It is also split about 50-50 whether
    or when it is okay to do it.

    In other words, there is no netiquette 'policy', IMO, other than to do
    it intelligently.

    > for Usenet it's not something that happens often in 24HSHD (fairly free
    > format replies happen all the time) but is commonly acceptable in other
    > groups where not doing it is equally commented upon.

    <quizzical look> Okeedokee then.

    You know, if you were *so* bored, you could have just pinged me and we
    could have started a thread about something more interesting.

    Like boobies. (·Y·)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't
    fallen asleep yet.
    DC, Oct 6, 2004