Help w/ confirguring wireless printer server

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?VG9naWFrMQ==?=, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. Hello all. Any help you could offer would be helpful. I have always thought
    of myself as a bit technology savvy, however this issue has me realizing my
    true novice status.

    I have a wireless system at home, a SIMPLE, wireless system, that has been
    working very well. It is configured as: cable modem splits to vonage
    wireless router (which works great) and then my wireless network router.
    From there the wireless network router beams to my laptop (Vaio VGN-FE660G),
    and that works great! My network name is "MSHome" and my laptop name is
    "VaioLaptop." I have spent hours trying to install a wireless printer server
    for my laser printer, and that CAN work great... but when that works great, I
    cannot connect to the internet.

    I have a feeling (though I could be showing my ignorance) that the problem
    lies in the process of configuring the printer server: they have me open my
    network connection properties and enter a pre-set IP address (that they say
    is preconfigured into the server); I did this, and my printer worked great.
    However then I could connect to the internet. I did a system restore to
    just before I started muckin with the printer server and I had great internet
    connectivity, however I cannot communicate with my wireless printer (nor does
    it recognizing it on my devices/networks). My current internet IP address
    acquired (not preset) and is 'leased' for 24h at a time, according to my
    current properties.

    Any help on how I can resolve this issue? You all will probably think this
    is rediculously simple, but I will be grateful for your help. If you all
    need any help with surgery or anything (my knowledge of experise) just feel
    free to let me know so I can return the favor! (grin!)
    =?Utf-8?B?VG9naWFrMQ==?=, Aug 7, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9naWFrMQ==?=

    DavidT Guest

    please provide info on the print server and the router...make...model....

    DavidT, Aug 8, 2006

  3. Thank you for reading my question. My printer server is:

    D-Link DP-311P (802.11b)

    My wireless system router is a Linksys Wireless-B, also a 802.11b

    Thank you.

    kathleen
    =?Utf-8?B?VG9naWFrMQ==?=, Aug 8, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VG9naWFrMQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Togiak1 wrote:
    > Thank you for reading my question. My printer server is:
    >
    > D-Link DP-311P (802.11b)
    >
    > My wireless system router is a Linksys Wireless-B, also a 802.11b
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > kathleen

    In order for devices on a network to "talk" to each other, they must be
    on the same "subnet." In the context we're talking about here, this is
    the first 3 numbers of an IP address. That is, if the default IP
    address of the print server is 192.168.0.10 then your computer must have
    an IP address of 192.168.0.xxx to communicate with it. That's why the
    setup instruction for the DP-311P tell you to change your computer's IP
    address to 192.168.0.52.

    The problem probably is that when you initially set up your wireless
    router, the router probably has an IP address with different first three
    numbers, for example, 192.168.1.xxx.

    If you can restore your system so that you have internet connectivity
    (but no printer access), open a command prompt and type
    ipconfig /all

    Post back with your computer's IP address and the IP address given for
    your "gateway" (that's your router). Once we know what those addresses
    are, we'll see if we can configure the DP-311 appropriately.
    Lem, Aug 8, 2006
  5. You all are gems!! Thank you SO, SO much!

    My Computer IP Address is: 192.168.1.101
    My Printer IP Address is: 192.168.0.52

    Again, I am so very thankful for your help!
    -kathleen
    =?Utf-8?B?VG9naWFrMQ==?=, Aug 9, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VG9naWFrMQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Togiak1 wrote:
    > You all are gems!! Thank you SO, SO much!
    >
    > My Computer IP Address is: 192.168.1.101
    > My Printer IP Address is: 192.168.0.52
    >
    > Again, I am so very thankful for your help!
    > -kathleen

    For some reason, posts from my regular account aren't getting through
    reliably, so this from Google Groups ...

    Please don't delete the previous messages in your responses. It makes
    it much harder for others to figure out what's going on. Very long
    post follows ...

    You didn't give your router's IP address, but given that your
    computer's IP is 192.168.1.101, I suspect that your router's IP is
    192.168.1.1 and that you probably have a Linksys router. In order to
    get the router, the Vaio, and the DP-311P to all talk to each other,
    they all must have an IP address that is either 192.168.1.xxx or
    192.168.0.xxx. I think the better solution is to make the print server
    conform to the rest of the network rather than vice versa.

    First, disconnect the print server and make sure that your wireless
    network is working properly. Uninstall the print server from Start >
    Printers and Faxes.

    I'm going to assume that you have Win XP service pack 2.

    Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections >
    Network Connections, right-click on the "Local Connections" icon and
    select Properties. Then select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click
    Properties. If you originally set up your wireless network following
    all the default options, the radio buttons next to "Obtain an IP
    address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
    should be selected. The screen I'm talking about should look like
    this: http://tinyurl.com/mmjhd (Instead of "Obtain DNS Server
    automatically," the screen may indicate to use an IP address of
    192.168.1.1 for DNS server; that's OK too). If this is not the case,
    write down all the information on this screen, stop following these
    directions and post back with the information.

    Assuming that you're still following these steps, we can now
    temporarily change the information on this screen so you can talk to
    the print server. Get out the installation guide for the print server
    (if you've lost it, download a copy here:
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Printserver/dp311p/QIG/dp311P_QIG_100.zip). Follow
    the directions through page 5 (you should recognize this screen, now).
    Make the changes to the IP address and subnet mask shown on page 5.
    (By putting the 0 in the third part of the computer's IP address,
    you're putting it on the same subnet as the default print server IP
    address.)

    See page 6 of the DP-311P Install Guide. Click the "site Survey"
    button. In the list, find and select the SSID that corresponds to the
    name you gave your wireless network when you set it up. Remember this
    page, because you are going to come back here and set up encryption
    after you're sure everything is working properly. "Apply" the changes.

    See page 7 of the Install Guide. Instead of using the default, set the
    IP address to 192.168.1.10. Write this number down on a small piece of
    paper and tape it to the print server. You will need to know this
    number to get back to the print server's configuration screens.
    "Apply" the changes.

    Do the first 2 steps in the blue box at the bottom of page 7. For the
    third step, go back to the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties
    screen and select the radio button to "Obtain an IP address
    automatically." That is, make this screen look like it did at the
    beginning of this exercise.

    Now, follow the directions starting at page 8 of the Install Guide,
    being sure to use the new correct IP address (192.168.1.10) in the step
    on page 10.

    When you are finished installing the printer, you should be able to
    both print and access the Internet. Let me know if it works.

    However, you're still not finished. Your wireless network is
    unsecured. Unfortunately, the DP-311P only supports WEP encryption,
    which today is the least secure method of securing wireless networks.
    Even if your router and laptop support more robust encryption
    techniques, all devices on the network must use the same technique.
    It's a least-common-denominator kind of thing. Still, WEP is better
    than nothing.

    What you will have to do is choose a WEP encryption key and enter it in
    the appropriate places in (1) your router, (2) your laptop, and (3) the
    DP-311P. Post back if you need further directions on how to do this.
    If so, be sure to say the make/model of your router.

    Good luck.
    Lem, Aug 9, 2006