    combinations of connections but it seems like my PC BIOS just doesn't
    recognise the drive.

    Thanks.

    JC, Dec 18, 2005

  2. JC

    nos1eep Guest

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:43:50 GMT, "JC" <> spewed the
    following drivel:

    <Hello,
    <
    <I am trying to hook up a 4 Gb laptop hard drive to my PC via a 44 to
    40 pin
    <adapter. I believe I have all of the conections made correctly (pin
    <pin 1) and have tried various jumper configurations but when hooking
    up to
    <my PC, I get a "primary hard disk not found" error. BIOS lists the
    drive as
    <"unknown". The drive still functions just fine when put back in the
    laptop.
    <I am attempting to hook this up to the PC as a slave drive.
    <
    <Any tips that I should be looking at here? I think I've tried all
    <combinations of connections but it seems like my PC BIOS just doesn't
    <recognise the drive.
    <
    <Thanks.
    Have a look at this and see if it helps
    http://www.pccables.com/00504.htm
    -nos1eep

    -Scaling up the heights of folly.
    -non est ponenda pluritas sine necessitate

    nos1eep, Dec 18, 2005

  3. JC

    Robert Baer Guest

    JC wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to hook up a 4 Gb laptop hard drive to my PC via a 44 to 40 pin
    > adapter. I believe I have all of the conections made correctly (pin 1 to
    > pin 1) and have tried various jumper configurations but when hooking up to
    > my PC, I get a "primary hard disk not found" error. BIOS lists the drive as
    > "unknown". The drive still functions just fine when put back in the laptop.
    > I am attempting to hook this up to the PC as a slave drive.
    >
    > Any tips that I should be looking at here? I think I've tried all
    > combinations of connections but it seems like my PC BIOS just doesn't
    > recognise the drive.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Usually laptop type drives have 50 pins and a *different* connector.
    And, in that case, the first 40 pins are identical in useage.
    From there on, some of the balance are used for
    master/slave/cableselect, some for power, some unused, and (on a few)
    unknown/undocumented.

    Robert Baer, Dec 18, 2005
  4. JC

    HF Guest

    I have just bought from e Bay a USB to IDE adapter/connector with power
    supply(5 and 12v) which is reversible for either a laptop or PC drive.3(
    9GBP inc post) Hong kong trader

    HF, Dec 18, 2005
  5. JC

    HF Guest

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8732264649&ssPageN
    ame=STRK:MEWN:IT

    HF, Dec 18, 2005
  6. JC

    yootzee Guest

    Is it an actual IDE 2.5" to 3.5" converter, with the molex power plug? Also
    are you trying to daisy chain it with any other drives?

    yootzee, Dec 18, 2005