Help -- viri?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Lee, May 25, 2005.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    I've had two computers come into the shop in the past 24 hours with
    the some common symptoms.

    1. They cannot surf the 'net because something keeps checking off
    "proxy server" in the Internet Options/Connections menu. Uncheck it,
    and they are back on... for awhile. Next boot, they are checked again
    and the user gets "cannot display page."

    2. Most icons don't show up in the tray. Yes, I went into Properties
    and tried unchecking Hide Unused Icons, and Group similar icons. I
    also tried checking it and customing them all to "Always show."
    Nothing is working.

    Anyone know what's going on? I have scanned with NAV2005, Stinger,
    Symantec's online virus scan, AdAware, Spy Sweeper. I tried
    uninstalling NAV and NIS and it made no difference. Tried to install
    EZ Antivirus (Computer Associates) and it would not install... the
    system started rebooting as soon as the desktop came up, over and
    over.

    I need help!

    Lee

    Lee, May 25, 2005

  2. Lee

    me Guest

    if you have a spare, working computer--you can do what I do--install the EZ
    Antivirus from Computer Associates, then attach the suspect hard drive as a
    slave to that computer--then scan the entire drive from the known good
    machine. When a virus is suspected--this is always my first step.

    me, May 25, 2005

  3. Lee

    AG Guest

    "Lee" <> wrote in message

    > I've had two computers come into the shop in the past 24 hours with
    > the some common symptoms.
    >
    > 1. They cannot surf the 'net because something keeps checking off
    > "proxy server" in the Internet Options/Connections menu. Uncheck it,
    > and they are back on... for awhile. Next boot, they are checked again
    > and the user gets "cannot display page."
    >
    > 2. Most icons don't show up in the tray. Yes, I went into Properties
    > and tried unchecking Hide Unused Icons, and Group similar icons. I
    > also tried checking it and customing them all to "Always show."
    > Nothing is working.
    >

    > Anyone know what's going on? I have scanned with NAV2005, Stinger,
    > Symantec's online virus scan, AdAware, Spy Sweeper. I tried
    > uninstalling NAV and NIS and it made no difference. Tried to install
    > EZ Antivirus (Computer Associates) and it would not install... the
    > system started rebooting as soon as the desktop came up, over and
    > over.
    >
    > I need help!
    >
    > Lee

    You don't say what OS but I'll assume that it's XP. The advice about
    scanning by putting the drive in another computer is good. Also the program
    you can download from here:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    will let you build XP on a bootable CD ROM. Read about it there. I'm not
    going to reproduce the page here.
    The other suggestion I have is to download and run HijackThis. There are
    user forums that will tell you what anything that is running is. A Google
    search will usually also tell you what's what. Be careful what you delete
    with HijackThis as it will completely remove it and you can make a system
    unbootable.

    AG

    AG, May 26, 2005
  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 14:38:07 GMT, "AG" <> wrote:

    >You don't say what OS but I'll assume that it's XP. The advice about
    >scanning by putting the drive in another computer is good. Also the program
    >you can download from here:
    >http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    >will let you build XP on a bootable CD ROM. Read about it there. I'm not
    >going to reproduce the page here.
    >The other suggestion I have is to download and run HijackThis. There are
    >user forums that will tell you what anything that is running is. A Google
    >search will usually also tell you what's what. Be careful what you delete
    >with HijackThis as it will completely remove it and you can make a system
    >unbootable.
    >
    >AG

    Sorry I didn't mention, I did run HijackThis already. One of my
    battery of fix-it programs.

    I'll run the scan on the drive as a secondary in my machine.
    Thanks.

    Lee, May 26, 2005