    would be very grateful for any help on this
    --
    fiona1

    fiona1, Sep 10, 2008

  2. fiona1

    John R Guest

    "fiona1" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi folks, wondering if anyone can help me? I am trying to establish a
    > Remote
    > Desktop connection from my pc in work to my laptop at home. I am
    > Administrator on both comps and have all the privileges etc but no matter
    > what i do i cant connect. What i really need is someone to talk me/take
    > me
    > through it step by step so perhaps i can find out what i am doing wrong.
    > would be very grateful for any help on this
    > --
    > fiona1

    First off, this is a cert group for MCDST, and this question has nothing to
    do with it.

    Second, there are so many variables, nobody can say "here is your answer".

    But here are some things to consider...
    1. Does your local network allow rdp connections to the WAN?
    2. Do you have a cable/dsl router at home?
    3. Do you have port forwarding setup in your cable/dsl router?
    4. Does your ISP allow incoming RDP connections?
    5. Are you attempting to connect to your home public IP?

    These are just the first few things you need to think about.

    John R

    John R, Sep 10, 2008

  3. fiona1

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?ZmlvbmEx?= <> prattled
    ceaselessly in news::

    > Hi folks, wondering if anyone can help me? I am trying to establish a
    > Remote Desktop connection from my pc in work to my laptop at home. I
    > am Administrator on both comps and have all the privileges etc but no
    > matter what i do i cant connect. What i really need is someone to
    > talk me/take me through it step by step so perhaps i can find out what
    > i am doing wrong. I would be very grateful for any help on this

    Have you setup port forwarding? You'll need to forward port 3389. Google
    for port forwarding for your router/modem at home.

    For more detailed, step-by-step instructions, I do charge. :D

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Sep 10, 2008
  4. fiona1

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:33:00 -0700, fiona1
    <> wrote:

    >Hi folks, wondering if anyone can help me? I am trying to establish a Remote
    >Desktop connection from my pc in work to my laptop at home. I am
    >Administrator on both comps and have all the privileges etc but no matter
    >what i do i cant connect. What i really need is someone to talk me/take me
    >through it step by step so perhaps i can find out what i am doing wrong. I
    >would be very grateful for any help on this

    My advice is free and highly sought after.
    Is your comp at home turned on?

    PAJ, Sep 10, 2008
  5. fiona1

    fiona1 Guest

    --
    fiona1

    "PAJ" wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:33:00 -0700, fiona1
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi folks, wondering if anyone can help me? I am trying to establish a Remote
    > >Desktop connection from my pc in work to my laptop at home. I am
    > >Administrator on both comps and have all the privileges etc but no matter
    > >what i do i cant connect. What i really need is someone to talk me/take me
    > >through it step by step so perhaps i can find out what i am doing wrong. I
    > >would be very grateful for any help on this

    > My advice is free and highly sought after.
    > Is your comp at home turned on?

    Hi PAJ, yep both comps are on. I am doing the MCDST course and the training
    book is not very informative (im doing Distance Learning) and i have very
    little support and no one to ask anything!! Just trying to practice what im
    supposed to know for the course exams. I would be grateful for any help that
    you could give me. I live in Ireland. Thanks again
    fiona1

    fiona1, Sep 11, 2008
  6. fiona1

    fiona1 Guest

    --
    fiona1

    "John R" wrote:

    > "fiona1" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi folks, wondering if anyone can help me? I am trying to establish a
    > > Remote
    > > Desktop connection from my pc in work to my laptop at home. I am
    > > Administrator on both comps and have all the privileges etc but no matter
    > > what i do i cant connect. What i really need is someone to talk me/take
    > > me
    > > through it step by step so perhaps i can find out what i am doing wrong.
    > > would be very grateful for any help on this
    > > --
    > > fiona1

    > First off, this is a cert group for MCDST, and this question has nothing to
    > do with it.
    >
    > Second, there are so many variables, nobody can say "here is your answer".
    >
    > But here are some things to consider...
    > 1. Does your local network allow rdp connections to the WAN?
    > 2. Do you have a cable/dsl router at home?
    > 3. Do you have port forwarding setup in your cable/dsl router?
    > 4. Does your ISP allow incoming RDP connections?
    > 5. Are you attempting to connect to your home public IP?
    >
    > These are just the first few things you need to think about.
    >
    > John R
    >
    > Hi John R, i realise that this is a MCDST Cert site - i am in the midst of training to be a MCDST. As this is part of the course and exam i would like to know exactly what i am doing and how i am doing it. The training book is not very informative and because i am doing Distance Learning, i dont have any support and no one to ask questions. I thought that this site would be of great help to me! Thanks for your help.

    fiona1

    fiona1, Sep 11, 2008
  7. fiona1

    fiona1 Guest

    --
    fiona1

    "catwalker63" wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?ZmlvbmEx?= <> prattled
    > ceaselessly in news::
    >
    > > Hi folks, wondering if anyone can help me? I am trying to establish a
    > > Remote Desktop connection from my pc in work to my laptop at home. I
    > > am Administrator on both comps and have all the privileges etc but no
    > > matter what i do i cant connect. What i really need is someone to
    > > talk me/take me through it step by step so perhaps i can find out what
    > > i am doing wrong. I would be very grateful for any help on this

    > Have you setup port forwarding? You'll need to forward port 3389. Google
    > for port forwarding for your router/modem at home.
    >
    > For more detailed, step-by-step instructions, I do charge. :D
    >
    > --
    > Catwalker
    > MCNGP #43
    > www.mcngp.com
    > "Definitely not wearing any underwear."

    Hi Catwalker, yes to all your questions. I myself am training to be an
    MCDST and because its Distance Learning i have no support and i thought that
    this site would be of some help to me. Thank you
    fiona1

    fiona1, Sep 11, 2008
  8. fiona1

    CBIC Guest

    "fiona1" <> wrote in message

    > fiona1

    Can you ping remote computer? Please fix your signature.

    CBIC, Sep 11, 2008
  9. fiona1

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?ZmlvbmEx?= <> prattled
    ceaselessly in news::

    > Hi Catwalker, yes to all your questions. I myself am training to be an
    > MCDST and because its Distance Learning i have no support and i

    thought > that this site would be of some help to me. Thank you
    > fiona1

    While I sympathise with your plight, I will not spoon feed you the
    answers. I got all my certs with no classes. I got a couple books for
    each exam and setup a "lab" at home to practice the concepts. The most
    important thing I learned here in this newsgroup was how to do my own
    research. Ask questions after you've looked for the answer on your own.

    Every blessed router out there has its own router management and many of
    them use different terms to describe port forwarding. I support salon
    management software for beauty salons with all manner of cr@ppy
    routers/modems to allow remote access so the owners can stay at home and
    not pretend they don't know their stylists spend the whole day on
    MySpace. I had to Google many of these devices so I could configure them
    for my salon owners. So far, the only ones that have defeated me have
    been the ones that did not have that capabability. (Stay away from AT&T
    air cards, FYI) You will not survive in IT if you can't figure out most
    of it yourself.

    If you had posted what you've done so far in great detail, perhaps once
    of us could point you in the right direction. Doing it for you means I
    am a consultant and, as such, I expect to be paid.

    Your homework is to learn the difference between a site and a newsgroup
    and to get a real news reader.

    catwalker63, Sep 11, 2008
  10. fiona1

    PAJ Guest

    --

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 00:59:01 -0700, fiona1
    <> wrote:

    >Hi PAJ, yep both comps are on. I am doing the MCDST course and the training
    >book is not very informative (im doing Distance Learning) and i have very
    >little support and no one to ask anything!! Just trying to practice what im
    >supposed to know for the course exams. I would be grateful for any help that
    >you could give me. I live in Ireland.

    Top o' the morning to ya.

    PAJ, Sep 11, 2008
  11. fiona1

    fiona1 Guest

    Hi CBIC, will try to ping remote comp tomorrow - my work comp is not being
    very good to me at the mo:) What do you mean by fixing my signature?
    --
    fiona1

    fiona1, Sep 11, 2008
  12. fiona1

    PAJ Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:21:01 -0700, fiona1
    <> wrote:

    >Hi CBIC, will try to ping remote comp tomorrow - my work comp is not being
    >very good to me at the mo:) What do you mean by fixing my signature?

    A top posted sig with a bottom posted message is bad.

    Your text goes below the message you are replying to.
    Put your sig below the message.

    Never ever top post. That is for losers. With *NO* exceptions.

    I am the supreme expert in posting so copy my style.

    Your work comp is at the mo?
    Where is this? A place in Ireland?

    --
    PAJ

    PAJ, Sep 11, 2008
  13. fiona1

    fiona1 Guest

    --
    fiona1

    "PAJ" wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:21:01 -0700, fiona1
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi CBIC, will try to ping remote comp tomorrow - my work comp is not being
    > >very good to me at the mo:) What do you mean by fixing my signature?

    > A top posted sig with a bottom posted message is bad.
    >
    > Your text goes below the message you are replying to.
    > Put your sig below the message.
    >
    > Never ever top post. That is for losers. With *NO* exceptions.
    >
    > I am the supreme expert in posting so copy my style.
    >
    > Your work comp is at the mo?
    > Where is this? A place in Ireland?
    >
    > --
    > PAJ

    Hi PAJ, first of all i want to let you know that we are all thinking of ye
    today (im assuming you are from the US) thank you for the sig tip:) im
    completely new to discussion groups and forums!! Mo is short for moment dux,
    so i wont be able to ping it etc until tomorrow. Dont know what im doing
    wrong - id like to be able to do it not just because of exam but it would be
    useful when i am working from home. I have one laptop with XP Home and
    another with Vista Ultimate. It should work on either of these laptops
    shouldnt it? Or is it just XP to XP? Thanks for your advice and help
    fiona1

    fiona1, Sep 11, 2008
  14. fiona1

    PAJ Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:07:01 -0700, fiona1
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks for your advice and help
    >fiona1

    No worries.

    --
    PAJ

    PAJ, Sep 11, 2008
  15. fiona1

    fiona1 Guest

    Hi folks, just want to say thank you to everyone for all your help,
    especially PAJ. I tried pinging the remote comp today and discovered that
    the problem is with the network at work - my laptop connectivity is fine.
    Will have to reset the network on Monday. Thanks again everybody
    --
    fiona1

    fiona1

    fiona1, Sep 13, 2008