    see each other they still can access the internet.

    A reboot will fix it but this is starting to be a pain.

    how would you guys go about fixing this ?

    Sonco, Sep 15, 2004

  2. access the computers by their ip addresses....

    jjw

    Jason Wheeler, Sep 16, 2004

  3. "Sonco" <> wrote in message
    > Set up a peer to peer network with 2 - 98 machines and 2 xp home,

    machines.

    > Sometimes they can see each other and sometimes they cant. when they cant
    > see each other they still can access the internet.
    >
    > A reboot will fix it but this is starting to be a pain.
    >
    > how would you guys go about fixing this ?

    Do you have any kind of firewall on these computers? I've found that
    ZoneAlarm can be particularly nasty when it comes to workgroups. You have to
    put your local computers in the "safe zone" or whatever before it will allow
    traffic from those hosts.

    Patrick Michael, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Sonco

    AG Guest

    "Sonco" <> wrote in message
    > Set up a peer to peer network with 2 - 98 machines and 2 xp home,

    machines.

    > Sometimes they can see each other and sometimes they cant. when they cant
    > see each other they still can access the internet.
    >
    > A reboot will fix it but this is starting to be a pain.
    >
    > how would you guys go about fixing this ?

    This is common with Windoze networking. I have the same problem with our
    office LAN between XP and 98 machines. One thing that can help, not always,
    is to install the NETBUI protocol on the XP computers. It does increase
    network traffic but on that small a LAN it shouldn't be a problem.

    AG

    AG, Sep 16, 2004
  5. Sonco

    Sonco Guest

    I will check it out, I brought the 98 machines on to the network with the
    disk created by xp network setup,
    Bad idea ?

    Sonco, Sep 17, 2004
  6. Sonco

    AG Guest

    "Sonco" <> wrote in message
    > I will check it out, I brought the 98 machines on to the network with the
    > disk created by xp network setup,
    > Bad idea ?

    I've done it both ways. When I used the XP network disk it took out all of
    my network settings like DNS and backup DNS that make things work better
    here. There's a little utility WinsockfixXP that can reset the XP network
    settings to day one. It might help.
    AG

    AG, Sep 17, 2004