Help! Tricky problem printing through the network.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by MarkH, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    I have an interesting problem at a customer's site.

    There is a printer (HP Laserjet 3300) connected to the USB socket of a
    Windows 2003 Server, this has been working fine. The printer is shared on
    the network so others can use it.

    Now after a reboot the printer still prints fine from the server, but from
    any computer printing from the network there is a problem. The print job
    goes to the server and appears on the print queue, but the status in the
    queue changes to 'error' and the document does not print.

    So: The printer is printing fine locally. The other computers see the
    shared printer OK and can send print jobs to it. The queue can be checked
    from any computer and the print jobs appear on the queue. Therefore it
    should be working OK, but it isn't.

    The client computers are running WinXP/Win2K/WinMe/OSX, all with the same
    problem.

    Any brilliant suggestions?


    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
    "There are 10 types of people, those that
    understand binary and those that don't"
     
    MarkH, Nov 22, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. MarkH

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:31:00 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >I have an interesting problem at a customer's site.
    >
    >There is a printer (HP Laserjet 3300) connected to the USB socket of a
    >Windows 2003 Server, this has been working fine. The printer is shared on
    >the network so others can use it.
    >
    >Now after a reboot the printer still prints fine from the server, but from
    >any computer printing from the network there is a problem. The print job
    >goes to the server and appears on the print queue, but the status in the
    >queue changes to 'error' and the document does not print.
    >
    >So: The printer is printing fine locally. The other computers see the
    >shared printer OK and can send print jobs to it. The queue can be checked
    >from any computer and the print jobs appear on the queue. Therefore it
    >should be working OK, but it isn't.
    >
    >The client computers are running WinXP/Win2K/WinMe/OSX, all with the same
    >problem.
    >
    >Any brilliant suggestions?


    I'm no expert on this, but do you have the option anywhere to assign
    an IP address to the printer (or to the server)?

    I'm guessing that when the server reboots, it, or the printer,
    allocates a new IP address (through DHCP?) for itself and the other
    computers can't find it.

    Although the user computers think they can see it, they can't.
    Similar to how a shortcut would work if you moved the file
    'shortcutted' to, except that windows will still cue up documents.
     
    Mr Bond, Nov 23, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Mr Bond <> wrote in
    news:eek::

    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:31:00 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an interesting problem at a customer's site.
    >>
    >>There is a printer (HP Laserjet 3300) connected to the USB socket of a
    >>Windows 2003 Server, this has been working fine. The printer is
    >>shared on the network so others can use it.
    >>
    >>Now after a reboot the printer still prints fine from the server, but
    >>from any computer printing from the network there is a problem. The
    >>print job goes to the server and appears on the print queue, but the
    >>status in the queue changes to 'error' and the document does not
    >>print.
    >>
    >>So: The printer is printing fine locally. The other computers see
    >>the shared printer OK and can send print jobs to it. The queue can be
    >>checked from any computer and the print jobs appear on the queue.
    >>Therefore it should be working OK, but it isn't.
    >>
    >>The client computers are running WinXP/Win2K/WinMe/OSX, all with the
    >>same problem.
    >>
    >>Any brilliant suggestions?

    >
    > I'm no expert on this, but do you have the option anywhere to assign
    > an IP address to the printer (or to the server)?


    The server has a fixed IP address, the printer is plugged into its USB port
    and therefore doesn't have an IP address.

    > I'm guessing that when the server reboots, it, or the printer,
    > allocates a new IP address (through DHCP?) for itself and the other
    > computers can't find it.
    >
    > Although the user computers think they can see it, they can't.
    > Similar to how a shortcut would work if you moved the file
    > 'shortcutted' to, except that windows will still cue up documents.


    If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print queue.
    To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print queue on the
    server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.



    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
    "There are 10 types of people, those that
    understand binary and those that don't"
     
    MarkH, Nov 23, 2004
    #3
  4. MarkH

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:42:02 +0000, MarkH wrote:

    > If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print queue.
    > To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print queue on the
    > server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.


    I assume it's not something silly like the print jobs from the clients
    being submitted on Letter sized paper is it?

    I had a Windows 2000 print server that had been set up from the start to
    use A4, but each new client would always start off printing with Letter
    for some reason until told not to.

    The clients didn't seem to be getting the default printing preferences
    from the server.

    Cheers
    Anton
     
    AD., Nov 23, 2004
    #4
  5. MarkH wrote:
    > If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print queue.
    > To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print queue on the
    > server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.


    it's not something silly like paper size oddities is it?
    I find that to be a royal PITA here at work.

    usually you have to change it in ~3 places to get it working correctly.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 23, 2004
    #5
  6. AD. wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:42:02 +0000, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >
    >>If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print queue.
    >>To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print queue on the
    >>server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.

    >
    >
    > I assume it's not something silly like the print jobs from the clients
    > being submitted on Letter sized paper is it?
    >
    > I had a Windows 2000 print server that had been set up from the start to
    > use A4, but each new client would always start off printing with Letter
    > for some reason until told not to.
    >
    > The clients didn't seem to be getting the default printing preferences
    > from the server.


    whoa... snap.
    matching pair of replies.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 23, 2004
    #6
  7. MarkH

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:36:37 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > whoa... snap.
    > matching pair of replies.


    That has to be it then!

    :)
     
    AD., Nov 23, 2004
    #7
  8. MarkH

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:42:02 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >Mr Bond <> wrote in
    >news:eek::
    >
    >> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:31:00 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have an interesting problem at a customer's site.
    >>>
    >>>There is a printer (HP Laserjet 3300) connected to the USB socket of a
    >>>Windows 2003 Server, this has been working fine. The printer is
    >>>shared on the network so others can use it.
    >>>
    >>>Now after a reboot the printer still prints fine from the server, but
    >>>from any computer printing from the network there is a problem. The
    >>>print job goes to the server and appears on the print queue, but the
    >>>status in the queue changes to 'error' and the document does not
    >>>print.
    >>>
    >>>So: The printer is printing fine locally. The other computers see
    >>>the shared printer OK and can send print jobs to it. The queue can be
    >>>checked from any computer and the print jobs appear on the queue.
    >>>Therefore it should be working OK, but it isn't.
    >>>
    >>>The client computers are running WinXP/Win2K/WinMe/OSX, all with the
    >>>same problem.
    >>>
    >>>Any brilliant suggestions?

    >>
    >> I'm no expert on this, but do you have the option anywhere to assign
    >> an IP address to the printer (or to the server)?

    >
    >The server has a fixed IP address, the printer is plugged into its USB port
    >and therefore doesn't have an IP address.
    >
    >> I'm guessing that when the server reboots, it, or the printer,
    >> allocates a new IP address (through DHCP?) for itself and the other
    >> computers can't find it.
    >>
    >> Although the user computers think they can see it, they can't.
    >> Similar to how a shortcut would work if you moved the file
    >> 'shortcutted' to, except that windows will still cue up documents.

    >
    >If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print queue.
    >To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print queue on the
    >server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.


    Hi,

    I followed your original post, I had a similar issue recently where
    the printer was connected via network cable/hub to the server and was
    getting a new dynamically assigned IP address when it was turned
    off/restarted.

    The symptom was the same in that the printer appeared on the users
    computers, but would just que up documents sent to it, with an error
    eventuating. I could fix the problem by reinstalling the printer on
    the users machine, but the problem would re-surface next time around.

    That's why I likened it to a shortcut with no file at the end of it,
    as thats how I figured it had happened.

    Hmm, so the printer has no IP address. Can you get the printer to
    print a configuration page itself, ie not by getting the server to
    print one. It usually has the IP address used by the printer on the
    configuration page, and you can check whether I am wrong or not.

    Also, does the que on the server increase when users que's increase?
    ie do the users and servers que's match up?
     
    Mr Bond, Nov 23, 2004
    #8
  9. MarkH

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:31:00 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    > Any brilliant suggestions?


    Obligatory "install Linux" ;)

    The client machines aren't using some different version of the driver are
    they ?

    Firewall not blocking some port used for controlling the que ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    "It's Hong Kong action. Anything you know about physics is just going to hold you back." -- Robin D. Laws

    Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 4:19:52 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
     
    Brendan, Nov 23, 2004
    #9
  10. Mr Bond wrote:
    > Hmm, so the printer has no IP address. Can you get the printer to
    > print a configuration page itself, ie not by getting the server to
    > print one. It usually has the IP address used by the printer on the
    > configuration page, and you can check whether I am wrong or not.


    it is not an IP port printer, it is a USB printer, hence no IP.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 23, 2004
    #10
  11. In article <> in nz.comp on Tue, 23 Nov 2004
    17:00:32 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > Mr Bond wrote:
    > > Hmm, so the printer has no IP address. Can you get the printer to
    > > print a configuration page itself, ie not by getting the server to
    > > print one. It usually has the IP address used by the printer on the
    > > configuration page, and you can check whether I am wrong or not.

    >
    > it is not an IP port printer, it is a USB printer, hence no IP.


    So in other words it is shared on the server i.e. \\server\printer and
    you print to that instead of using a TCP/IP port.
     
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 23, 2004
    #11
  12. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Brendan <> wrote in news:wnyvjidnx3fd
    $:

    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:31:00 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> Any brilliant suggestions?

    >
    > Obligatory "install Linux" ;)
    >
    > The client machines aren't using some different version of the driver are
    > they ?
    >
    > Firewall not blocking some port used for controlling the que ?



    Unfortunately not, this is a really tricky bugger and has me stumped.

    The server can print to its printer fine. Print something, it goes in the
    queue, it prints, queue empties, no problem. When a client computer
    prints, the job appears on the same print queue on the server, but has an
    error, it doesn’t print.

    If the server tries to print another job while the non-printing document is
    in the queue, then nothing happens. If you clear the document with the
    error then the job generated by the server happily prints.

    This is very frustrating because:
    The printer prints fine.
    The communication between the server and printer is fine.
    The communication between the workstations and server is fine.

    But still, the bloody thing won't work properly.


    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
    "There are 10 types of people, those that
    understand binary and those that don't"
     
    MarkH, Nov 23, 2004
    #12
  13. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in
    news:p:

    > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:42:02 +0000, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print
    >> queue. To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print
    >> queue on the server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.

    >
    > I assume it's not something silly like the print jobs from the clients
    > being submitted on Letter sized paper is it?
    >
    > I had a Windows 2000 print server that had been set up from the start
    > to use A4, but each new client would always start off printing with
    > Letter for some reason until told not to.
    >
    > The clients didn't seem to be getting the default printing preferences
    > from the server.


    It seems that with this driver the clients are forced to use the servers
    printer settings, they cannot set printer size or anything else. So it
    seems that this is not the problem.

    On the clients they get the driver from the server when I add the printer
    using drag'n'drop.

    Grrrr, this problem has me so frustrated. Each step checks out fine, but
    it just doesn't work!

    Communication between server and printer - check!
    Printer works OK from the server - check!
    Communication between workstations and server - check!
    Printing sends jobs to the queue on the server - check!
    Printer works OK from workstations printing through the server - fail!

    The server is definitely on fixed IP and the workstations are able to
    access it. This is easy to check because the server is a file server and
    domain controller and terminal server as well as being a print server.



    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
    "There are 10 types of people, those that
    understand binary and those that don't"
     
    MarkH, Nov 23, 2004
    #13
  14. MarkH

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:44:59 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >"AD." <> wrote in
    >news:p:
    >
    >> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:42:02 +0000, MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >>> If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print
    >>> queue. To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print
    >>> queue on the server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.

    >>
    >> I assume it's not something silly like the print jobs from the clients
    >> being submitted on Letter sized paper is it?
    >>
    >> I had a Windows 2000 print server that had been set up from the start
    >> to use A4, but each new client would always start off printing with
    >> Letter for some reason until told not to.
    >>
    >> The clients didn't seem to be getting the default printing preferences
    >> from the server.

    >
    >It seems that with this driver the clients are forced to use the servers
    >printer settings, they cannot set printer size or anything else. So it
    >seems that this is not the problem.
    >
    >On the clients they get the driver from the server when I add the printer
    >using drag'n'drop.
    >
    >Grrrr, this problem has me so frustrated. Each step checks out fine, but
    >it just doesn't work!
    >
    >Communication between server and printer - check!
    >Printer works OK from the server - check!
    >Communication between workstations and server - check!
    >Printing sends jobs to the queue on the server - check!
    >Printer works OK from workstations printing through the server - fail!
    >
    >The server is definitely on fixed IP and the workstations are able to
    >access it. This is easy to check because the server is a file server and
    >domain controller and terminal server as well as being a print server.
    >

    Did you delete the printers from the clients and then re-add them?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    These twin-CPU hyperthreading computers are really
    great! We can wait ten to a hundred times faster
    these days.
     
    Enkidu, Nov 23, 2004
    #14
  15. In article <ZMBod.4969494$> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:37:29 GMT, MarkH <> says...
    > Brendan <> wrote in news:wnyvjidnx3fd
    > $:
    >
    > > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:31:00 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    > >
    > >> Any brilliant suggestions?

    > >
    > > Obligatory "install Linux" ;)
    > >
    > > The client machines aren't using some different version of the driver are
    > > they ?
    > >
    > > Firewall not blocking some port used for controlling the que ?

    >
    >
    > Unfortunately not, this is a really tricky bugger and has me stumped.
    >
    > The server can print to its printer fine. Print something, it goes in the
    > queue, it prints, queue empties, no problem. When a client computer
    > prints, the job appears on the same print queue on the server, but has an
    > error, it doesn?t print.
    >
    > If the server tries to print another job while the non-printing document is
    > in the queue, then nothing happens. If you clear the document with the
    > error then the job generated by the server happily prints.
    >
    > This is very frustrating because:
    > The printer prints fine.
    > The communication between the server and printer is fine.
    > The communication between the workstations and server is fine.
    >
    > But still, the bloody thing won't work properly.


    So the clients don't work, do they have the correct drivers?

    Did you provide the correct drivers for point n print?
     
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 23, 2004
    #15
  16. MarkH

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:44:59 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    > The server is definitely on fixed IP and the workstations are able to
    > access it. This is easy to check because the server is a file server and
    > domain controller and terminal server as well as being a print server.


    starting to sound like a fucked up registry...

    How practical would it be to connect the printer to some other PC, just for
    testing purposes, and see if it suddenly starts working ? If it doesn't it
    might be a generalised LAN problem.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." -- Edward R. Murrow

    Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 10:06:52 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
     
    Brendan, Nov 23, 2004
    #16
  17. MarkH

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:37:29 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    > Unfortunately not, this is a really tricky bugger and has me stumped.
    >
    > The server can print to its printer fine. Print something, it goes in the
    > queue, it prints, queue empties, no problem. When a client computer
    > prints, the job appears on the same print queue on the server, but has an
    > error, it doesn’t print.
    >
    > If the server tries to print another job while the non-printing document is
    > in the queue, then nothing happens. If you clear the document with the
    > error then the job generated by the server happily prints.


    Wouldn't be something stupid like file permissions on the server pc would
    it ?

    e.g. the client pc doesn't have file permissions to write the file onto the
    hd of the hosting pc, or the hosting pc doesn't have permission to read
    them ?

    Permissions on the printer share ? Registry ?

    Couldn't you just supply them each with a colouring set and they could do
    it by hand ? ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." -- William Clayton

    Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 10:02:37 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
     
    Brendan, Nov 23, 2004
    #17
  18. In article <_TBod.4969767$> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:44:59 GMT, MarkH <> says...
    > "AD." <> wrote in
    > news:p:
    >
    > > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:42:02 +0000, MarkH wrote:
    > >
    > >> If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print
    > >> queue. To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print
    > >> queue on the server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.

    > >
    > > I assume it's not something silly like the print jobs from the clients
    > > being submitted on Letter sized paper is it?
    > >
    > > I had a Windows 2000 print server that had been set up from the start
    > > to use A4, but each new client would always start off printing with
    > > Letter for some reason until told not to.
    > >
    > > The clients didn't seem to be getting the default printing preferences
    > > from the server.

    >
    > It seems that with this driver the clients are forced to use the servers
    > printer settings, they cannot set printer size or anything else. So it
    > seems that this is not the problem.
    >
    > On the clients they get the driver from the server when I add the printer
    > using drag'n'drop.
    >
    > Grrrr, this problem has me so frustrated. Each step checks out fine, but
    > it just doesn't work!
    >
    > Communication between server and printer - check!
    > Printer works OK from the server - check!
    > Communication between workstations and server - check!
    > Printing sends jobs to the queue on the server - check!
    > Printer works OK from workstations printing through the server - fail!
    >
    > The server is definitely on fixed IP and the workstations are able to
    > access it. This is easy to check because the server is a file server and
    > domain controller and terminal server as well as being a print server.


    There are different types of printing. e.g. printing to a server share,
    or printing direct to the printer through a TCP/IP port.
     
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 23, 2004
    #18
  19. In article <1gam7c8hap5i5$> in nz.comp on Tue, 23 Nov
    2004 22:14:45 +1300, Brendan <> says...
    > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:37:29 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    >
    > > Unfortunately not, this is a really tricky bugger and has me stumped.
    > >
    > > The server can print to its printer fine. Print something, it goes in the
    > > queue, it prints, queue empties, no problem. When a client computer
    > > prints, the job appears on the same print queue on the server, but has an
    > > error, it doesn?t print.
    > >
    > > If the server tries to print another job while the non-printing document is
    > > in the queue, then nothing happens. If you clear the document with the
    > > error then the job generated by the server happily prints.

    >
    > Wouldn't be something stupid like file permissions on the server pc would
    > it ?
    >
    > e.g. the client pc doesn't have file permissions to write the file onto the
    > hd of the hosting pc, or the hosting pc doesn't have permission to read
    > them ?


    That would be weird, normally you don't need to worry about that, just
    having the permission to print is OK and the server handles the rest.
     
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 23, 2004
    #19
  20. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    news::

    > There are different types of printing. e.g. printing to a server
    > share, or printing direct to the printer through a TCP/IP port.


    In this case it is to a server share, i.e. Printer port = \\server\printer





    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
    "There are 10 types of people, those that
    understand binary and those that don't"
     
    MarkH, Nov 23, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Kris
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    669
    Guest
    Jun 20, 2004
  2. Dan Rice

    Tricky NAT config on a 1721

    Dan Rice, Jul 29, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    686
    Dan Rice
    Aug 1, 2005
  3. Paul

    Tricky problem to solve

    Paul, Sep 22, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    579
    Stevo
    Sep 28, 2003
  4. eb7g
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    295
  5. Scott W

    Tricky shot of an old church

    Scott W, Nov 16, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    139
    Views:
    1,910
Loading...

Share This Page