    Thanks.
    Son
    I have Windows XP.
    =?Utf-8?B?c29ubnl1c2E=?=, Nov 22, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?c29ubnl1c2E=?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Ok can you tell me the hardware version you have of the Speed Touch and the
    firmware version you are running. Not all support AOL. Normally you would
    want WPA or WEP on, but while you are trying to connect it may make more
    sense to leave it off. One less thing to go wrong. SSID should be on. The
    other settings should work in the default settings.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 22, 2006

  3. Its a SpeedTouch 585 v6 D427E0 and do you mean by firmware the DVD/CD-ROM
    DRIVES which are HL-DT-ST DVD-RW but I was able to use this to install AOL
    Broadband with the CD they supplied.
    Thanks
    Son

    =?Utf-8?B?c29ubnl1c2E=?=, Nov 22, 2006
  4. Hi

    AOL connection does not work with many standard hardware devices that are
    available on the market.

    If you got the Combo Modem/Wireless Router from AOL, it should work.

    This page has on line instructions for the device,
    http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/docume...whelp.htm?single=false&context=sig&topic=init

    If it does not help, you should call AOL, their logon process is not always
    standard either. Unless some one has the type of service that you have we
    would not know how to go about it.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 22, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?c29ubnl1c2E=?=

    David Hettel Guest

    You may find these instructions helpful;

    How to Set Up Home Networking
    Make sure to save any unsaved work and close any other open programs before
    beginning this process.

    To set up home networking:
    1. Sign onto the AOL® service.
    2. Go to AOL® Keyword: Home Networking.
    3. Click the How to Get Started option. Here you will find an overview of
    how to setup a home network. Click the X box to close that window when you
    are ready to proceed.
    4. Click the Quick Start Video option and follow the steps provided. Use the
    Pause button when necessary to complete the hardware setup.

    How to Set Up Network Magic
    To set up the AOL® Network Magic software:
    1. Go to AOL Keyword: Network Magic.
    2. Click the Download Now button.
    3. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

    Note that the following is from AOL UK:
    http://info.aol.co.uk/help/broadband/router_drivers_install.html

    Firmware is what controls the Thomson SpeedTouch in this case, and it
    appears that not all SpeedTouch routers come with firmware that supports
    connecting to AOL. Did you get your SpeedTouch from AOL? If so AOL should
    have the ability to walk you through connecting your SpeedTouch.

    David Hettel, Nov 22, 2006
  6. Thanks I tried Network Magic and I have been able to get as far as the
    Wireless LAN Configuration Tool Plus Screen which shows the following:
    NETWORK ADAPTER: (ZD1211B)IEEE802.11 b+g USB Adapter
    MODE: Station
    AVAILABLE NETWORK: Nothing is showing
    CURRENT NETWORK INFORMATION
    CHANNEL: 6
    TYPE: AD-HOC
    SSID: ANY
    TX RATE: 11 Mbps
    ENCRYPT: WEP
    LINK STATUS: Connected to AD-HOC BBSSID= F6 97 95 5A 80 99
    SIGNAL STRENGTH: 7%
    LINK QUALITY: 28%
    TX FRAME: 440 but this is rising slowly
    RX FRAME: nothing there
    It has been running for over three hours should it take this long or should
    I stop it and press the MORE SETTINGS button and change things. If so what
    should I change the Settings too.
    Son

    =?Utf-8?B?c29ubnl1c2E=?=, Nov 23, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?c29ubnl1c2E=?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Looks like you have a security problem. From what you have posted, (Type
    Ad-Hoc) you are NOT connecting to your SpeedTouch 585, but to another
    computer. If you where connecting to the SpeedTouch you should be getting an
    IP address from it, and you would be in Infrastructure mode.

    Do you have the wireless enabled, and is the SSID enabled in the SpeedTouch?

    David Hettel, Nov 24, 2006
  8. How do I check that I have the wireless enabled, and the SSID enabled in the
    SpeedTouch router.
    I was told when I bought the laptop that it was Wireless enabled.
    Thankyou for your help.
    Son

    =?Utf-8?B?c29ubnl1c2E=?=, Nov 24, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?c29ubnl1c2E=?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Normally there is either a program supplied with the router that allows you
    to make changes, or you can plug a wired connection into the router and
    enter you default gateway address into Internet Explorer and get to a web
    page where you can make changes in the routers configuration. As you do not
    appear to be connected to your router wirelessly, you'll need to connect by
    a wired connection.

    David Hettel, Nov 24, 2006
  10. I have connected via the wired connection what do I do now to go wireless.

    =?Utf-8?B?c29ubnl1c2E=?=, Nov 26, 2006