    TIA

    Regards,

    Sushi
    Sushi, May 14, 2005

  2. Sushi wrote:

    > I'm currently using Windows XP home edition. I would like to format the
    > main hard drive and would like some instructions on just how to go about
    > doing that. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

    Boot up with the Windows CD. You may have to make a change in your BIOS
    settings for the CD to be the 1st boot device. Follow the prompts.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 14, 2005

  3. Sushi

    Plato Guest

    Plato, May 14, 2005
  4. Sushi

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Sushi" <> wrote in message
    > I'm currently using Windows XP home edition. I would like to format the
    > main hard drive and would like some instructions on just how to go about
    > doing that. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Sushi

    Have you backed up your Internet connection settings, email info, personal
    data, etc.? 'Cause when you format the hard drive, you LOSE IT ALL. And if
    you have an older XP CD, you should be sure you have a copy of XP's Service
    Pack 2 on CD to reinstall *BEFORE* you get back online (and of course your
    anti-virus software should be reinstalled too). You can download that from:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    (this is the same thing: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q50D25209 in case the
    above link is broken.)

    Burn it to CD and TEST IT before formatting. If you don't have a CD writer,
    then maybe a local friend can do that for you.
    Toolman Tim, May 14, 2005
  5. Sushi

    SgtMinor Guest

    Sushi wrote:

    > I'm currently using Windows XP home edition. I would like to format the
    > main hard drive and would like some instructions on just how to go about
    > doing that. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Sushi

    Why would you like to format the main hard drive? If you don't know how
    to format a drive you may also not know why you should or should not
    format. You may cause more problems than you are trying to resolve.
    SgtMinor, May 15, 2005
  6. Sushi

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Sushi wrote:
    >
    >> I'm currently using Windows XP home edition. I would like to format the
    >> main hard drive and would like some instructions on just how to go about
    >> doing that. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Sushi

    > Why would you like to format the main hard drive? If you don't know how
    > to format a drive you may also not know why you should or should not
    > format. You may cause more problems than you are trying to resolve.

    You mean problems like "My computer just sits there and doesn't do a bloody
    thing"? ;o)
    Toolman Tim, May 15, 2005
  7. Sushi

    thefriend Guest

    You might want to consider what SgtMinor said.
    I hope you realize that this will delete your data.

    Other than that iso info is good but you have to boot of your win xp cd as
    he said. try f11 that may give you a choice to boot off cd
    thefriend, May 15, 2005
  8. Sushi

    SgtMinor Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    >> Sushi wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm currently using Windows XP home edition. I would like to format the
    >>> main hard drive and would like some instructions on just how to go about
    >>> doing that. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Sushi

    >> Why would you like to format the main hard drive? If you don't know how
    >> to format a drive you may also not know why you should or should not
    >> format. You may cause more problems than you are trying to resolve.

    > You mean problems like "My computer just sits there and doesn't do a bloody
    > thing"? ;o)

    Yeah, something like that. Maybe it's part of being an old fart, but
    when people ask me how to do something - like go over Niagara falls in a
    barrel - I don't start talking about staves and sponge rubber lining but
    I ask why the hell they want to do it in the first place. If their
    answer to that question makes sense, we'll deal with the next one.

    To some people format is a magic wand. You and I know better.
    SgtMinor, May 15, 2005
  9. Sushi

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why would you like to format the main hard drive? If you don't know how
    >>> to format a drive you may also not know why you should or should not
    >>> format. You may cause more problems than you are trying to resolve.

    >> You mean problems like "My computer just sits there and doesn't do a
    >> bloody thing"? ;o)
    >>

    > Yeah, something like that. Maybe it's part of being an old fart, but when
    > people ask me how to do something - like go over Niagara falls in a
    > barrel - I don't start talking about staves and sponge rubber lining but I
    > ask why the hell they want to do it in the first place. If their answer
    > to that question makes sense, we'll deal with the next one.
    >
    > To some people format is a magic wand. You and I know better.

    Exactly! It's a last resort. I worked on my boss's laptop for over 15 hours
    (spyware, broken AV, etc.) before I finally gave in and reformatted (hey,
    I'm paid by the hour anyway <g>). Usually I can fix the crapware problems,
    but even I have to give up sometimes.
    Toolman Tim, May 15, 2005
  10. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message

    >>Yeah, something like that. Maybe it's part of being an old fart, but when
    >>people ask me how to do something - like go over Niagara falls in a
    >>barrel - I don't start talking about staves and sponge rubber lining but I
    >>ask why the hell they want to do it in the first place. If their answer
    >>to that question makes sense, we'll deal with the next one.
    >>
    >>To some people format is a magic wand. You and I know better.
    >>

    > Exactly! It's a last resort. I worked on my boss's laptop for over 15 hours
    > (spyware, broken AV, etc.) before I finally gave in and reformatted (hey,
    > I'm paid by the hour anyway <g>). Usually I can fix the crapware problems,
    > but even I have to give up sometimes.

    As time goes by, I'm becoming a little more re-format friendly. In the
    past I've hated to do that, feeling like spyware/viruses have beaten me.
    Gotten many systems back up and running. BUT ... I've had several cases
    where the client brings the machine back with odd problems that drive me
    nuts. Won't play games on Pogo (can't get java to work right) or won't
    go to secure websites (checked all settings, did repairs, etc.) that
    sort of thing. If they're bad enough now, I ask the client is it okay to
    save their data and do a clean install. It seems to be a more surefire
    way to do the cleanup. And it's definitely faster.

    I had one just this week where I'd gotten rid of a LOT of crap off of a
    Dell and it was running great, but had generic video drivers. I
    installed the one that was indicated by Everest home and instantly got
    BSODs. Went to the Dell site and got their drivers and installed them.
    They installed okay but the the machine was much slower. No amount of
    system restores or removing and reinstalling drivers would fix it.
    Finally did a format and reinstall and it ran great. *sigh* All that
    time wasted.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 15, 2005
  11. Sushi

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message

    >>>Yeah, something like that. Maybe it's part of being an old fart, but
    >>>when people ask me how to do something - like go over Niagara falls in a
    >>>barrel - I don't start talking about staves and sponge rubber lining but
    >>>I ask why the hell they want to do it in the first place. If their
    >>>answer to that question makes sense, we'll deal with the next one.
    >>>
    >>>To some people format is a magic wand. You and I know better.
    >>>

    >> Exactly! It's a last resort. I worked on my boss's laptop for over 15
    >> hours (spyware, broken AV, etc.) before I finally gave in and reformatted
    >> (hey, I'm paid by the hour anyway <g>). Usually I can fix the crapware
    >> problems, but even I have to give up sometimes.

    > As time goes by, I'm becoming a little more re-format friendly. In the
    > past I've hated to do that, feeling like spyware/viruses have beaten me.
    > Gotten many systems back up and running. BUT ... I've had several cases
    > where the client brings the machine back with odd problems that drive me
    > nuts. Won't play games on Pogo (can't get java to work right) or won't go
    > to secure websites (checked all settings, did repairs, etc.) that sort of
    > thing. If they're bad enough now, I ask the client is it okay to save
    > their data and do a clean install. It seems to be a more surefire way to
    > do the cleanup. And it's definitely faster.
    >
    > I had one just this week where I'd gotten rid of a LOT of crap off of a
    > Dell and it was running great, but had generic video drivers. I installed
    > the one that was indicated by Everest home and instantly got BSODs. Went
    > to the Dell site and got their drivers and installed them. They installed
    > okay but the the machine was much slower. No amount of system restores or
    > removing and reinstalling drivers would fix it. Finally did a format and
    > reinstall and it ran great. *sigh* All that time wasted.

    Yeah, I hear that too. On the office network, the email, company data, even
    personal user files are all stored on the server (of course!) except for the
    laptops. The bosses need their data with them when they travel. So, while
    they are (supossedly) handling their own backups, I still really hate to
    mess with those machines.

    Now, the Dell workstations (except mine, and the payroll departments) I'd
    erase and reinstall in a heartbeat over trying to clean 'em up. But most of
    them don't have Internet access, so they don't get crapped up in the first
    place ;o)
    Toolman Tim, May 15, 2005