    picture without significant reflexes in it?

    Thank you for any help. Regards,
    Fanta

    Fanta, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Fanta

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Hi,
    > I am trying to take a picture of a Kodak Q-60 (IT8) target, to
    > profile my new digital camera. The Q-60 target is a print on glossy
    > paper and the picture I take invariably has some reflex on it, which I
    > believe would bias the profiling.
    > Does anybody have any suggestion to take a picture of that glossy
    > picture without significant reflexes in it?
    >
    > Thank you for any help. Regards,
    > Fanta

    Well first of all you can't use a flash. You need to put your camera on
    a tripod and use ambient light. Then just arrange the picture so that it
    is lit but none of the lights are reflecting directly off of it. Make
    sure to use the manual white balance function on your camera with a
    white target to make sure you are getting the most accurate color
    possible.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Fanta

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/30/03 2:34 PM, in article ,
    "Bryan Bellis" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:30:52 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well you can't use the built in flash. You need to use the same method
    >> professionals have always used.
    >>
    >> Get or make a copy stand. You need lights mounted at 45ยบ to the photo
    >> on either side. Other than that, polarizing filters (on the camera and the
    >> light source) may also work.

    > How about scanning it instead? I guess you don't have a scanner?

    Uhhh - just HOW's that going to test his digital camera? And I set my lights
    ~ 30 degrees off axis from the target with polarizers over the light sources
    themselves. This takes care of any irregularities in the surface of the art
    that I am copying (may not be necessary here, though). Holding a pen/pencil
    over the center of the surface you are photographing and move the lights
    around until the shadows are equidistant in length and shadow depth. Hope
    that helps!

    George Kerby, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Fanta

    Fanta Guest

    Thanks to all who replied. I managed to take suitable shots, even if I
    don't have access to a studio with polarized lights. The set-up was
    quite ridiculous, with all sort of things to hold the tripod and the
    picture, make the light uniform and limit reflexes from a window, and so
    on. I took 2 usable shots out of 10, and one was enough.

    Too bad Canon doesn't provide a profile for S50. It looks like the
    software and hardware/camera vendors assume color management is only a
    pro thing, therefore it is fair to make it needlessly complicated and
    undocumented (when it is supported at all, especially in consumer stuff).

    Regards,
    Fanta

    Fanta, Aug 31, 2003