Help Syslog server

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Benson, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Benson

    Benson Guest

    Hi,

    I installed the Fedora Core 3 + Syslog server, and config the syslog
    accepts remote log ( udp port 514 is open ) and the file
    "/etc/syslog.conf";

    and configure the C4506 switch as the following:

    logging 172.27.2.204
    logging trap debugging
    logging timestamp
    logging buffered 10000

    but I can not receive anything from switch.

    Anybody help me about this configuration, I am the newbie in syslog.

    Do I have to get the sys log server from Cisco ?

    Thank you very much indeed.
    Benson, Nov 24, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Benson <> wrote:
    :I installed the Fedora Core 3 + Syslog server, and config the syslog
    :accepts remote log ( udp port 514 is open )

    On some systems you have to add a flag to syslogd to allow it to accept
    remote connections. Just having syslogd running and listening is not
    enough on those systems: you have to enable remote logging.

    :Do I have to get the sys log server from Cisco ?

    Definitely not.
    --
    "Meme" is self-referential; memes exist if and only if the "meme" meme
    exists. "Meme" is thus logically a meta-meme; but until the existance
    Walter Roberson, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Benson

    Erik Freitag Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:50:59 -0800, Benson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed the Fedora Core 3 + Syslog server, and config the syslog
    > accepts remote log ( udp port 514 is open ) and the file
    > "/etc/syslog.conf";
    >
    > and configure the C4506 switch as the following:
    >
    > logging 172.27.2.204
    > logging trap debugging
    > logging timestamp
    > logging buffered 10000
    >
    > but I can not receive anything from switch.
    >
    > Anybody help me about this configuration, I am the newbie in syslog.
    >
    > Do I have to get the sys log server from Cisco ?
    >
    > Thank you very much indeed.

    You might want to make sure you have a working IP path from the 4506 to
    your syslog server. Make sure a ping works. Sometimes there's a firewall
    in the way.
    Erik Freitag, Nov 24, 2004