HELP - stupid mistake on PIX

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mike W., Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Mike W.

    Mike W. Guest

    Hey everyone,

    I was trying to make some changes to a PIX 506 down in NY (I'm in CT), and I
    just lost access.

    I was trying to setup for the VPN client access, and added a VLAN ID to the
    eth0 interface (lousy 2 interface device >:-o ) As soon as I did that, my
    Putty session got booted.

    My Question: Seeing as though I only added the command, I did not do a
    Write mem after it, will the PIX discard that command after a certain amount
    of time? Or am I SOL?

    I know the session will time out, but will the command stay in the running
    config? I can't connect via anything right now...

    Help?

    Thanks,

    Mike
    Mike W., Feb 28, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    Mike W. <> wrote:
    >I was trying to make some changes to a PIX 506 down in NY (I'm in CT), and I
    >just lost access.

    >My Question: Seeing as though I only added the command, I did not do a
    >Write mem after it, will the PIX discard that command after a certain amount
    >of time? Or am I SOL?

    It might time out the session and log you out, but the command will
    stay active until the next reboot.

    >Help?

    Can you have someone in NY power-cycle the device?
    Walter Roberson, Feb 28, 2006

  3. Mike W.

    Mike W. Guest

    "Walter Roberson" <> wrote in message

    > It might time out the session and log you out, but the command will
    > stay active until the next reboot.
    >
    >>Help?

    > Can you have someone in NY power-cycle the device?

    Arrgh....that's what I figured.

    At this point, I'll be able to get there tomorrow morning before anyone else
    can.

    Looks like I'm taking the early train....

    Thanks Walter.
    Mike W., Mar 1, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    Mike W. <> wrote:

    >"Walter Roberson" <> wrote in message

    >> Can you have someone in NY power-cycle the device?

    >Looks like I'm taking the early train....

    I suggest you consider a remote boot product, and possibly
    a remote console product as well.

    For small operations that do not involve very tight security
    requirements, synaccess-net.com's NPC (Power and Console combined)
    are very cost effective. If you need tighter security on the
    remote device itself, then the costs (from other vendors) are
    noticably higher.
    Walter Roberson, Mar 1, 2006
  5. Mike W.

    Wil Guest

    Routers have the reload command which you can schedule for a later date,
    for example "reload in 5" will reboot the router in 5 minutes.

    AFAIK it is not implimented in the PIX.

    -Wil
    Wil, Mar 1, 2006