Help... Sony "Picture Package" does not copy movies without finalizing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by smilesdl, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. smilesdl

    smilesdl Guest

    It seems that the problem .. "Sony "Picture Package" only works for
    administrators" is a subset of the problem with Picture Package
    shipped with Sony devices for win XP.
    If you finalize the DVD Picture Package correctly find the movie clips
    and you can copy them to PC using your USB cable
    If you don't finalize, Picture package does not see them and you can
    not copy them.
    This works in Win2000

    It does not semm to work for Win XP SP2 (at least not for me).

    I have contacted Picture Package customer service at no avail over the
    phone and email. They say is a Sony problem. And Sony customer service
    indicates that is a Picture Package problem.
    I have uninstalled the package / installed again, uninstalled the
    driver and installed again... at no avail.

    Any fix will be much welcomed !
    smilesdl, Jan 19, 2006

  2. smilesdl

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On 19 Jan 2006 09:49:34 -0800, "smilesdl" <> wrote:

    >It seems that the problem .. "Sony "Picture Package" only works for
    >administrators" is a subset of the problem with Picture Package
    >shipped with Sony devices for win XP.
    >If you finalize the DVD Picture Package correctly find the movie clips
    >and you can copy them to PC using your USB cable
    >If you don't finalize, Picture package does not see them and you can
    >not copy them.
    >This works in Win2000
    >
    >It does not semm to work for Win XP SP2 (at least not for me).
    >
    >I have contacted Picture Package customer service at no avail over the
    >phone and email. They say is a Sony problem. And Sony customer service
    >indicates that is a Picture Package problem.
    >I have uninstalled the package / installed again, uninstalled the
    >driver and installed again... at no avail.
    >
    >Any fix will be much welcomed !

    Why bother? Sony Picture Package came with my Sony video camera. I
    have yet to find a use for the program. If you want to capture your
    movie, you can use the free MovieMaker program that is part of XP, or
    you can use one of the many commercial programs.

    You will have better movies, though, if you capture with a Firewire
    instead of a USB cable. MovieMaker allows you to capture with either,
    but Pinnacle, for example, requires a Firewire connection.

    Hopefully, something you purchased came with NeroVision Express or
    some other program bundled so you can burn your DVD.

    As far as I'm concerned, the Sony Picture Package is something Sony
    subcontracted to the Elbonians.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL
    Tony Cooper, Jan 19, 2006

  3. smilesdl

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 19 Jan 2006 09:49:34 -0800, "smilesdl" <> wrote:

    >It seems that the problem .. "Sony "Picture Package" only works for
    >administrators" is a subset of the problem with Picture Package
    >shipped with Sony devices for win XP.
    >If you finalize the DVD Picture Package correctly find the movie clips
    >and you can copy them to PC using your USB cable
    >If you don't finalize, Picture package does not see them and you can
    >not copy them.
    >This works in Win2000
    >
    >It does not semm to work for Win XP SP2 (at least not for me).
    >
    >I have contacted Picture Package customer service at no avail over the
    >phone and email. They say is a Sony problem. And Sony customer service
    >indicates that is a Picture Package problem.
    >I have uninstalled the package / installed again, uninstalled the
    >driver and installed again... at no avail.
    >
    >Any fix will be much welcomed !

    You don't say what Sony device this is; am I correct in thinking it's
    a video cam that writes to mini-DVDs?
    If so, what is the problem with putting the finished (finalized) DVD
    in your DVD drive, and using the files it sees?
    From there, Movie Maker should handle it.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Jan 19, 2006
  4. smilesdl

    smilesdl Guest

    It would be nice that movie maker could read from the DVD or capture. I
    can not do either. To be able to read the DVD as dvd you have to
    finalize the DVD and that 's what is the problem. Picture Package is
    made by a Japanese co, and they are slowly responding to this issue.
    Still unresolved.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Most likely somebody else found a workaround ... it would be nice to
    know ... or other program that can read from the unfinalized mini DVD...
    smilesdl, Jan 21, 2006
  5. smilesdl

    smilesdl Guest

    As I mentioned to Tony the disk can not be seen until finalized...
    unless there is a trick / workaround that I don't know. If you place
    the mini DVD before being finalized in the DVD drive you can't see the
    files.
    Thanks for the posting
    David
    smilesdl, Jan 21, 2006
  6. smilesdl

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 21 Jan 2006 15:14:32 -0800, "smilesdl" <> wrote:

    >As I mentioned to Tony the disk can not be seen until finalized...
    >unless there is a trick / workaround that I don't know. If you place
    >the mini DVD before being finalized in the DVD drive you can't see the
    >files.
    >Thanks for the posting
    >David

    So what's the problem?
    Finalize the disk, and use it.
    Or am I missing something?

    Bill Funk, Jan 22, 2006
  7. smilesdl

    smilesdl Guest

    Thanks Bill...
    Once a disk if finalized is not writable any more
    Use case:
    You make a short take of 2 min and wants to see how it looks with your
    previous takes.
    You have to finalize the DVD and waste the remaining of the DVD to make
    this happen.
    Not only this, but for your next 2 min take the next day you have to do
    the same again. And waste your time finishing the DVD when in reality
    you don't need to.

    You can do this if you have a Win2K, but my old w2k is too slow to use
    for this.
    I expect that eventually Picture Package will fix this bug

    David
    smilesdl, Jan 23, 2006