Help: Something is telnetting to my Cisco's (Ciscoworks?)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by genki, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. genki

    genki Guest

    Hi, I'm getting this error message alot on my Cisco boxes.

    2005 Dec 02 09:09:42 %MGMT-6-LOGINPASS:User logged in from 10.x.x.x
    via Telnet
    2005 Dec 02 09:09:46 %MGMT-5-ENABLE_FAIL:User failed to enter enable
    mode from 10.x.x.x via Telnet - max attempt reached

    I have 3 services running on 10.x.x.x. These are

    CiscoWorks.
    What's up Gold.
    Somix - an MRTG graphing package.

    Is there a part of Ciscoworks that telnets to my switches and routers ?

    where can I look to solve this ?

    Thanks guys in advance.

    Genki
    genki, Dec 5, 2005

  2. genki

    John Smith Guest

    it is probably your cisco works program thats doing it.
    first, make sure you have an ACL on your vty lines in the IOS devices

    i really dont know what to tell you about Cisco works and where to look
    though. are you using IDS/IPS'es?

    John Smith, Dec 5, 2005

  3. genki

    genki Guest

    We don't have the IDS configured and employed yet (doing that this
    week, they are
    checkpoint IDS's)

    The only thing i can think that is doing it is CiscoWorks, why would it
    need to telnet to
    my equipment though, perhaps to pull configs ? Why not tftp. I would
    love to be able to
    stop this behavior and get rid of these errors.

    I don't think I can really acl out the CiscoWorks box as it needs to
    get stuff to do it's
    job. It wouldn't seem like a fix.

    Thanks for you reply, appreciate it.

    Genki