    Fred Seaver Guest

    I just cant make heads or tails on the y-Enc decoding in
    alt.binaries.sounds. Need simple instructions

    Fred Seaver, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Fred Seaver

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:09:47 -0700, Fred Seaver wrote:

    >I just cant make heads or tails on the y-Enc decoding in
    >alt.binaries.sounds. Need simple instructions

    Try this:

    http://www.shemes.com/

    Grabit does yENC. It's small, fast, easy to learn and use, also.

    "Excellent piece of software, IMHO."

    --
    <Nazrat> So is Chad completely gone now?
    <AB> No. There's still a slight stain.

    Mara, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Fred Seaver

    trout Guest

    Fred Seaver wrote:

    > I just cant make heads or tails on the y-Enc decoding in
    > alt.binaries.sounds. Need simple instructions

    OE will *not* decode yEnc without third-party software; and at that,
    it's still a convoluted pain.
    Do yourself a favour, and use a different newsreader; even if it's
    *only* for binary downloads. My favourite is X-News:
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    Easy to set-up; and automatically combines and decodes all sorts of
    files, including yEnc.
    --
    "You'll be glad you did."

    trout, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Fred Seaver

    Boomer Guest

    Fred Seaver, <> wrote:

    > I just cant make heads or tails on the y-Enc decoding in
    > alt.binaries.sounds. Need simple instructions

    yEnc
    http://www.yenc.org
    http://www.yenc.org/windows.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/altbinariessoundsmusicclassical/yenc.html
    http://members.home.nl/lordsnow/yenc/faq.htm
    http://www.norman.riel.com/downloads/yproxy12.zip

    Decoding Guide for Outlook Express Users
    http://www.yenc32.com/oeusers.php

    Agent 1.92 supports it.
    www.forteinc.com
    XNews is free and supports it.
    http://xnews.3dnews.net/
    Power Grab is free and supports it.
    www.cosmicwolf.com
    Grabit supports it
    http://www.shemes.com/

    Boomer, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Fred Seaver

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    If you are going to get involved with the Binary Groups, you are in for a
    new education. The Yenc
    encoder/decoder splits larger files into smaller files, usually with an
    extension .rar.
    First download and install XNews 5.04.x. Second, download and install WinRAR
    3.2.x, ISO Buster Pro
    1.4. SmartPAR, and WinISO 5.x.
    Using Xnews download and decode, at the same time, all binaries. Your
    download folder will have .RAR
    files and PO files. Run SmartPAR and it will verify you have the complete
    set of binary files.
    Next use WinRAR to extract the files to a new folder. Go to the new folder
    and you will see several new
    files. ISOBuster will open all of the files as they would look on a CD-ROM.
    WinISO comes in handy to
    mde ISO image files. Burn the result to a CDR and run the new CD and
    installer.
    There is a bit of a learning curves involved, however I have Adobe
    Photoshop.in-Design, Retail version of
    Acrobat Reader, Illustrator 10, Winfax 10, MS Money 2003, Nero 6.0, the list
    goes on and on.
    Have some fun! You will end up with a lot of software for FREE!
    Computer Guy

    Computer Guy, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Fred Seaver

    trout Guest

    Computer Guy wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Ooops. Made a mistake. "The Yenc encoder/decoder splits larger files
    > into smaller files, usually with an
    > extension .rar"
    > Actually what happens is the person deciding to upload a program uses
    > WinRAR to encode
    > all files into RAR files. Then runs Smartpar to confirm that all the
    > files are complete and error free. Many
    > people use PowerPost 2000 to upload all of the files onto the Binary
    > Group. Now when you look at them in
    > the newsreader, they appear as binary files The files you see are Yenc
    > encoded RAR files.
    > When you download the program, Xnews will automatically decode them
    > for you and when you look at your
    > download folder, there are Par01, Par02, etc. send RAR files. Run
    > Smartpar to ensure they (PO files) are complete and
    > error free. Use WinRAR to extract each RAR into a folder which is
    > usually the software title..Photoshop 7. etc.
    > You can then use ISO Buster or WinISO to create the software
    > "tree".burn it to an ISO file or leave it as is. Make an ISO
    > later down the road.
    > The final step is to burn the new software package to a CDR. You can
    > do this from the software folder or create an ISO
    > file and use Nero (Best for the job). You can install directly from
    > the software folder and make a CDR later.

    <snip>

    Isn't this wandering a bit into information overkill?
    I'm wondering why you are assuming that he's downloading *software*
    from alt.binaries.sounds.
    --
    "The request *was* for 'simple' instructions."

    trout, Oct 24, 2003