Help Setup WiFi Network between PC, PPC, Laptop

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by abhishek_k1984@yahoo.co.in, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. Guest

    hi,

    I have a
    Desktop connected to ADSL broadband (XP Pro SP2)
    Laptop with WiFi (XP Pro SP2)
    Pocket PC with WiFi (Windows Mobile 5.0)

    I want to use internet on my Pocket PC and Laptop wirelessly,
    I want my laptop and pocket pc to access files on my desktop,

    How to do it? What type of hardware would I need?

    please suggest?

    thanks,
    AB

    , Nov 17, 2006

  2. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > I have a
    > Desktop connected to ADSL broadband (XP Pro SP2)
    > Laptop with WiFi (XP Pro SP2)
    > Pocket PC with WiFi (Windows Mobile 5.0)
    >

    > I want to use internet on my Pocket PC and Laptop wirelessly,
    > I want my laptop and pocket pc to access files on my desktop,
    >

    > How to do it? What type of hardware would I need?
    >

    > please suggest?
    >
    > thanks,
    > AB

    I use a wireless/ethernet router between my DSL modem and my desktop. The
    desktop connects via ethernet.
    I then connect my laptop to the router via the wireless connection.

    Most routers come with a setup disk which greatly speeds the installation
    especially when the operator is not very experienced.

    I managed to get the network going in 10 or 15 minutes.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 17, 2006

  3. David Hettel Guest

    Basically you'd need to buy a wireless router. The router would plug into
    the ADSL Broadband modem by way of a RJ-45 network connection. The desktop
    would then plug into the wireless router, again by way of a RJ-45 network
    connection. The laptop and Pocket PC would connect wirelessly to the
    wireless router.

    Wireless Hardware - What Should I Get?
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    Wireless - Basic Configuration http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    Sharing Disk Drives Between Computers on Windows Network
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 17, 2006
  4. Guest

    hi,

    but my ADSL need user name and password to connect, should then i need
    to dial from my ADSL router?

    I think i have a ADSL router and not modem becuase i can open the
    router home page in browser by typing IP address.

    btw any suggestion on any specific company and model?

    , Nov 18, 2006
  5. David Hettel Guest

    Hi;
    The wireless router will have web pages like your ADSL router, one page
    will allow you to enter your user name and password. The wireless router
    will then in effect act as your computer, allowing you to turn off the
    desktop and still connect from the laptop or the Pocket PC.

    David Hettel, Nov 18, 2006