    through a hub at the same time able to share internet access, or I can only
    have one way without the other?

    Thank You.

    Raymond, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Raymond

    John D Loop Guest

    You MUST get a router, like the Linksys to put behind the cable modem if you
    want to do a home network!
    Windows made a good decision in this case to turn on ICF since you do not
    have anything else protecting you.
    You can't do networking with ICF turned on, so you have to turn it off, but
    you better NOT do it without being behind a router.
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!
    www.pccitizen.com

    "Raymond" <> wrote in message
    > I have a cable modem with cable internet connected to a network hub to

    share
    > internet connnection between two computers. The two window xp computers
    > connnected to the hub to share internet. I want to set up a network to
    > share file and folder though that hub, but window xp says this kind of
    > network configuration is not recommended. XP gives a warning saying this
    > wizard enable internet connection firewall(ICF) on this computer. ICF

    will
    > protect this computer from internet security threats, but it might also
    > prevent this computer from sharing file with other computers on your
    > network. I went ahead and accept this setting, but the network won't

    work.

    John D Loop, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Raymond

    hootnholler Guest

    Hey Ray,

    You can setup that type of network, but I would agree with John
    wholeheartedly on his statements. With a cable modem, especially networked,
    a router is a very good idea. Try to get one that does packet filtering,
    also. I also managed to get a print 'server' with my router, and works very
    nicely, instead of having printers all over the place...

    You could install zonealarm, on your hub setup and then configure the
    firewall to accept information from the other computers on the networks by
    their ip addresses. This is a risky venture, though, since if a hacker were
    to be able to get access to one computer, they would very easily get access
    to the other one. It's been compared to locking every window, door and any
    other access to your house, but leave the back door wide open. Not very
    secure, is it? Plus, I'm not a big fan of xp's built in firewall. It's an
    okay basic firewall, but a router would be much more configurable, secure
    and to be honest, I sleep better at night having one ;-)

    The good news is a router is about $50, and definitely worth the investment.
    With the way that security is going nowadays, you'd hate to be a 'zombie'
    that brings down a major network...

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Is this the kind of router I need?( link below)
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=1&sumit=Go&description=33-122-022&searchdepa=1

    It is wireless, but I don't want go wireless. I want to hook up cable to
    this router and sharing file and internet. Is most wireless router has
    outlet on it that allow cable to hook to? Sorry, i am not a network freak,
    and therefore don't know much.

    By the way, Thank you all, especically you, Barry. You are always very
    helpful.

    Raymond, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    It is wireless, but I don't want go wireless. I want to hook up cable to
    this router and sharing file and internet

    oop, i guess i asked a bad question. I search and found that router is not
    neccessary to be wireless. But an wireless router will save me money if I
    decide to go wireless later. However, when go to a network wizard in
    window xp which option should I choose if I have a router? Should I choose a
    option that says "This computer connects to the internet directly to the
    internet directly or through a network hub. Other computers on my network
    also connect to the internet directly or through a hub"?

    Thank you All.

    Raymond, Dec 31, 2003
  6. Raymond

    rbeardjr Guest

    I am far from experienced, but I have home dsl with 2 computers hooked up
    sharing an internet connection as well as files and a printer... Linksys
    came highly recommended, as well as netgear.
    I went with the netgear because of a small price difference, as well as it
    supported my IP host.
    When I set up my small LAN I used xp, which is xp pro, and set up my
    computers as a workgroup. I may be wrong, but I think that is the way to
    go..

    rbeardjr, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    The device at your link would work but it's much more than you need, and
    much more expensive (more than twice as expensive as what you need).
    <<<<

    A got a switch box with at least 6 holes on it. I just found in the my
    closet..hehehehe...Would it work like a router too? Dont want wasting
    money if something I have already had work as well.

    Thank You.

    Raymond, Jan 1, 2004
  8. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    The device at your link would work but it's much more than you need, and
    much more expensive (more than twice as expensive as what you need).

    the manufacturer is linksys. The box is called etherfast10/100 8 port
    workgroup switch, Model EZXS88W.

    Raymond, Jan 1, 2004
  9. Raymond

    Jeff Stein Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, hootnholler wrote:

    > The good news is a router is about $50, and definitely worth the investment.
    > With the way that security is going nowadays, you'd hate to be a 'zombie'
    > that brings down a major network...

    I wouldn't install a home network without one. I've had good
    results with Coyote Linux, a router that runs in a ramdisk
    on a dedicated PC, usually a former doorstop that is called
    back into service (mine's a pI 135mhz but it'll run on a 486
    with at least 4M ram). Uses ipchains.

    P.S. Remember, ramdisk is _not_ an installation procedure.

    Jeff

    Custom Systems Since 1988

    Jeff Stein, Jan 8, 2004
  10. Raymond

    MacSysOp Guest

    No, Raymond is right, the switch won't work. You need a router.
    I've been using the LinkSys for the same kind of network you are
    trying to set up (cable with two or more computers). I've had both
    Macintosh / Windows machines hooked up at different times. One note of
    caution though. Don't leave the LinkSys configured with the default
    user / password configuration. If you don't, hackers may be able to
    log into your router.

    MacSysOp, Jan 11, 2004