help setting up home wi fi network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Paul Henry, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. Paul Henry

    Paul Henry Guest

    Hi all

    I have been reading through some of the topics on here and think im getting
    my head around it.

    I know nothing at all about wifi networking and hope someone can help me out
    here

    All I need is wifi one a pc that is upstairs and the laptop. At this moment
    in time I am on ADSL with a USRobtocis ADSL Router Modem that is connected
    to the main pc by cat 5 and then a run of cat 5 upto the 2nd pc upstairs

    I have also just got a laptop that I want to be able to use while working
    outside and have the pc upstairs on wifi as the cat 5 cable is in the way
    at present.

    Can anyone tell me what I need to purchase to add wifi to the current setup
    or if there is a decent ADSL Router / Modem that can do wifi and what models
    etc people would recomend.

    Were getting wifi put into work in the next 6 months so the laptop is the
    main one to do first followed by the base pc thought I guess for the laptop
    that just a PCMCIA card will do the job. I need to be able to share files
    over the network both at home and at work and at work have the need to be
    able to print to mulitple printers 1 Epson and a A3 printer

    Thanks guys I really am I newbie when it comes to this

    Paul
    Paul Henry, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Paul Henry

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    To add Wireless to an existing Network you need to buy an Access Point and
    plug it to an available RJ-45 port on a switch/hub or Cable/DSL Router.

    Equipped each computer that you want to make Wireless with a Wireless Client
    card, configure and enjoy.

    You can read the pages in the following link for further information and
    actual instructions: http://www.ezlan.net#wireless and
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wireless

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Paul Henry

    Paul Henry Guest

    Hi Jack

    Is that all I need at home to add wifi just an access point I have a spare
    RJ45 con at the back so looks like a plan

    any recomendations on a access point or any to avoid and anyone got any
    recomendations on a PCMCIA card

    Thanks

    Paul

    Paul Henry, Jun 26, 2005