    (0x8004210A): 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the
    receiving (POP) server"

    Please help!
    Mark Williams, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Mark Williams

    Thor Guest

    "Mark Williams" <> wrote in message
    news:kpDDd.3688$...
    > Two weeks ago I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. Everything worked
    > great, including my e-mail. After the Norton Live Update on Wednesday, I
    > can no longer download and send e-mail. I am on Windows XP and use Outlook
    > 2002 for e-mail. The e-mail is on a POP3 server (access is needed to ports
    > 465 and 995). Outlook was set in Norton Internet Security Programs Control
    > with 'Automatic' Internet Access and 'Multiple' for Category. I have also
    > tried 'Permit All." If I turn off the firewall, I am able to download and
    > send e-mail.

    then clearly the problem is the firewall blocking your email application or
    the ports that it uses regardless of the setting you have chosen. Try
    uninstalling Norton Internet Security and then re-install it, going through
    the program access validation routine again to have NIS re-learn which
    programs are allowed access.
    Thor, Jan 7, 2005

  3. "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> Two weeks ago I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. Everything
    >> worked great, including my e-mail. After the Norton Live Update on
    >> Wednesday, I can no longer download and send e-mail. I am on Windows XP
    >> and use Outlook 2002 for e-mail. The e-mail is on a POP3 server (access
    >> is needed to ports 465 and 995). Outlook was set in Norton Internet
    >> Security Programs Control with 'Automatic' Internet Access and 'Multiple'
    >> for Category. I have also tried 'Permit All." If I turn off the firewall,
    >> I am able to download and send e-mail.

    > then clearly the problem is the firewall blocking your email application
    > or the ports that it uses regardless of the setting you have chosen. Try
    > uninstalling Norton Internet Security and then re-install it, going
    > through the program access validation routine again to have NIS re-learn
    > which programs are allowed access.

    You were correct. I tried everything to not have to uninstall and
    re-install, but to no avail. I then reluctantly did it, went through 33 MG
    of Live Updates and am now up and running. I did find one workaround of
    making the IP a trusted site, but did not really want the security hole. I
    heard a lot of good things about NIS 2005 and PC Magazine rated it very
    high. I have only had it two weeks and boom. In working the issue today,
    it also ended up hanging number of times when I was trying to make simple
    changes in the various options. It would be interesting if others are
    having similar challenges or if this was just a fluke.

    Thank you for your help and advice!
    Mark Williams, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Mark Williams

    Wizard Guest

    It is the norm. NIS is the most bloated, erratic and crummy piece of
    software I have come across in a long time.

    Wizard, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Mark Williams

    Thor Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > It is the norm. NIS is the most bloated, erratic and crummy piece of
    > software I have come across in a long time.

    IMHO, he got off easy with just a reinstall. You know as well as I do that
    NIS has a tendancy to completely screw up the TCP/IP connectivity of a
    machine, and even uninstalling Norton often doesn't help. :)
    Thor, Jan 8, 2005