    All available software updates have been installed, as have all device
    drivers.

    Please can one of you great wizards suggest something to fix this. Thanks.
    Pickles, May 22, 2005

  2. Pickles

    joe_90 Guest

    Pickles wrote:
    > A friend's pc with W XP Pro Service Pack 2 keeps changing the colour of the
    > desktop taskbar from blue to a beige colour and the only way it can be
    > changed back to blue is with system restore. It has a Leadtek Winfast A170
    > DDR agp video card, with the most recent drivers.
    > The picture seems ok apart from the sudden colour change, usually after the
    > pc has been turned off for an hour or more. The cmos battery is new and the
    > pc boots ok.
    >
    > All available software updates have been installed, as have all device
    > drivers.
    >
    > Please can one of you great wizards suggest something to fix this. Thanks.

    No idea, but a quick Google found someone else with a very similar
    problem - it may give you some ideas.

    http://www.mcse.ms/message1602584.html

    (strange how Google ads completely screw this page under Firefox)
    joe_90, May 22, 2005

  3. Pickles

    Impossible Guest

    "Pickles" <> wrote in message
    >A friend's pc with W XP Pro Service Pack 2 keeps changing the colour
    >of the desktop taskbar from blue to a beige colour and the only way
    >it can be changed back to blue is with system restore. It has a
    >Leadtek Winfast A170 DDR agp video card, with the most recent
    >drivers.
    > The picture seems ok apart from the sudden colour change, usually
    > after the pc has been turned off for an hour or more. The cmos
    > battery is new and the pc boots ok.
    >
    > All available software updates have been installed, as have all
    > device drivers.
    >
    > Please can one of you great wizards suggest something to fix this.
    > Thanks.

    If the problem goes away with a System Restore, then it shouldn't be
    too difficult to pin down the source of the trouble. Ask your friend
    what (if anything) was installed/downloaded on the machine since the
    restore point was created -- or what websites were visted.
    Impossible, May 22, 2005
  4. Pickles

    Pickles Guest

    "Impossible" <> wrote in message

    > If the problem goes away with a System Restore, then it shouldn't be too
    > difficult to pin down the source of the trouble. Ask your friend what (if
    > anything) was installed/downloaded on the machine since the restore point
    > was created -- or what websites were visted.

    It does the same thing with only Windows XP Pro sp1 installed
    without any updates, and before any other software is installed.

    We tried a fresh install of Win XP Pro sp1 after a low level disk
    format, intending to install one thing at a time until the cause of
    the problem was found, but it happened as soon as W XP alone
    was installed.
    Pickles, May 22, 2005
  5. Pickles

    Pickles Guest

    "joe_90" <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote in message
    > Pickles wrote:
    >> A friend's pc with W XP Pro Service Pack 2 keeps changing the colour of
    >> the desktop taskbar from blue to a beige colour and the only way it can
    >> be changed back to blue is with system restore. It has a Leadtek Winfast
    >> A170 DDR agp video card, with the most recent drivers.
    >> The picture seems ok apart from the sudden colour change, usually after
    >> the pc has been turned off for an hour or more. The cmos battery is new
    >> and the pc boots ok.
    >>
    >> All available software updates have been installed, as have all device
    >> drivers.
    >>
    >> Please can one of you great wizards suggest something to fix this.
    >> Thanks.

    > No idea, but a quick Google found someone else with a very similar
    > problem - it may give you some ideas.
    >
    > http://www.mcse.ms/message1602584.html
    >
    > (strange how Google ads completely screw this page under Firefox)

    Cheers joe_90 I'd already tried that first off.
    Pickles, May 22, 2005
  6. Pickles

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Pickles" <> wrote in news:RkWje.2032$U4.252849
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > We tried a fresh install of Win XP Pro sp1 after a low level disk
    > format, intending to install one thing at a time until the cause of
    > the problem was found, but it happened as soon as W XP alone
    > was installed.

    So I would think that this points to a Video Card problem. Drivers? Try
    latest or not so latest, try diff card? Open a support ticket?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 22, 2005
  7. Pickles

    Impossible Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "Pickles" <> wrote in
    > @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    >> We tried a fresh install of Win XP Pro sp1 after a low level disk
    >> format, intending to install one thing at a time until the cause of
    >> the problem was found, but it happened as soon as W XP alone
    >> was installed.

    > So I would think that this points to a Video Card problem. Drivers?
    > Try
    > latest or not so latest, try diff card? Open a support ticket?

    In your OP, you said that the problem was fixed in XP "Service Pack 2"
    when you did a System Restore. I'm not sure then why you reinstalled
    SP1 -- or why you haven't reinstalled SP2. I agree, bad/out-of-date
    drivers may be the problem. But Service Packs are intended to fix
    previous bugs/incompatabilities with hardware, and even update some
    generic drivers. At this stage, I would first install SP2 over what
    you have. Then search online for all the latest XP-certified
    manufacturer drivers for your existing hardware -- especially for your
    graphics card and motherboard.
    Impossible, May 22, 2005
  8. Pickles

    Pickles Guest

    Thanks for your help guys. Will try a new video card.

    Pickles, May 22, 2005
  9. Pickles

    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> "Pickles" <> wrote in news:RkWje.2032$U4.252849
    >> @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >>
    >>> We tried a fresh install of Win XP Pro sp1 after a low level disk
    >>> format, intending to install one thing at a time until the cause of
    >>> the problem was found, but it happened as soon as W XP alone
    >>> was installed.

    >> So I would think that this points to a Video Card problem. Drivers? Try
    >> latest or not so latest, try diff card? Open a support ticket?
    >>

    > In your OP, you said that the problem was fixed in XP "Service Pack 2"
    > when you did a System Restore. I'm not sure then why you reinstalled
    > SP1 -- or why you haven't reinstalled SP2. I agree, bad/out-of-date
    > drivers may be the problem. But Service Packs are intended to fix previous
    > bugs/incompatabilities with hardware, and even update some generic
    > drivers. At this stage, I would first install SP2 over what you have. Then
    > search online for all the latest XP-certified manufacturer drivers for
    > your existing hardware -- especially for your graphics card and
    > motherboard.

    Guess I should explain further. We've reformatted, reinstalled, etc so
    many times that we've lost count. A restore does get the blue taskbar
    back, but it goes back to beige if the pc is turned off for a while and
    restarted. I made sure themes were saved, in case I'd missed that. heh

    New vid card methinks. Thanks for your help.
    Pickles, May 22, 2005