HELP Rock show photos with Olympus Camedia E-20N

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by unclemantis@gmail.com, Mar 24, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I need to know if this camera is capable of doing high speed low light
    applications. I will be attending a rock show this coming Monday and I
    have a photo-pit pass. First 3 songs no flash allowed.

    I am borrowing this camera from my grandfather and he normaly uses it
    for family photos and outdoor scenes. I was looking at the ISO and it
    only goes up to not even 400.

    Looking for suggestions here. I would like to use the digital if at all
    possible. Will the tungstun lights mess with the auto focus? Should I
    stick with manaual? Will enough light be able to get to the CCD? Will
    the action on stage blur? How far can I push this camera and still get
    shots good enough for the web and possibly print?

    Hey if I need to go with a 3200 speed film I will but I want to save
    that for a last resort!

    Thanks guys!

    , Mar 24, 2005

  2. Eddy Vortex Guest

    I've taken 1000's of band/club/concert photos with my Oly C2100UZ IS. I
    shoot mostly in very dimly lite clubs with bad stage lighting and I start
    out at ISO 200, F5.6, 1/30 sec. I never use flash. Most of my photos come
    out fine. If you're going to be shooting at a professionally lite concert,
    the E-20 will certainly have no problem with insufficient light. Digital
    camera are very sensitive to light and a dream to use at musical events.
    It's like shooting fish in a barrel:>) MM

    Eddy Vortex, Mar 24, 2005

  3. ecm Guest

    Eddy Vortex wrote:
    > I've taken 1000's of band/club/concert photos with my Oly C2100UZ IS.

    > shoot mostly in very dimly lite clubs with bad stage lighting and I

    start
    > out at ISO 200, F5.6, 1/30 sec. I never use flash. Most of my photos

    come
    > out fine. If you're going to be shooting at a professionally lite

    concert,
    > the E-20 will certainly have no problem with insufficient light.

    Digital
    > camera are very sensitive to light and a dream to use at musical

    events.
    > It's like shooting fish in a barrel:>) MM

    You're talking apples and oranges here - the C-2100 ("UZI") has image
    stabilization - it's like you're shooting at 2 full stops brighter when
    you use stabilization. The E-20 doesn't have stabilization, so if you
    tried to use F/5.6 and ISO 200 in a dim club you'll just get blur;
    especially if the band is very animated - moving a lot.

    The E-20 is a nice camera, though - it should do OK. At ISO 320 the
    noise is very low with this camera, and the lens is nice and bright -
    F/2.0 at wide, F/2.8 at full telephoto. If the stage is professionally
    lit with spotlights, it'll be fine; it'll be like shooting in a
    brightly lit room actually. Use spot metering rather than digital ESP
    so that you get the band properly exposed.

    Good Luck!
    ECM

    ecm, Mar 24, 2005
  4. Guest

    Well my grandfather is letting me borrow his film SLR with a lens of
    50mm and f/1.4. I should probably bring both of them. 10 minutes for a
    chance to get a handful of great shots. Should be fun!

    For the film, what should I get? Brand, ISO, Flavor, etc.. What are you
    guys using? Talking about what one would use to get those killer photos
    one sees in rock magazines.

    , Mar 25, 2005
  5. Crownfield Guest

    wrote:

    > Well my grandfather is letting me borrow his film SLR with a lens of
    > 50mm and f/1.4. I should probably bring both of them. 10 minutes for a
    > chance to get a handful of great shots. Should be fun!
    >
    > For the film, what should I get? Brand, ISO, Flavor, etc.. What are you
    > guys using? Talking about what one would use to get those killer photos
    > one sees in rock magazines.

    at least 512 mb, and even better, 1 gb.
    stick with names like lexar, or sandisk.

    Crownfield, Mar 25, 2005
  6. Guest

    That is not film, that is memory! I am going to be using Fuji 1600. I
    used it at a test session the other night and the pictures came out
    decent. The lighting was darker than what I will be expecting tonight
    so things should be OK.

    Thanks for the feedback guys! I will let you know when the photos are
    taken and posted if you are curious and want to give me some pointers.

    , Mar 28, 2005
  7. Guest

    Rock show? What kind of rocks are they showing? Quartz?

    wrote:
    > I need to know if this camera is capable of doing high speed low

    light
    > applications. I will be attending a rock show this coming Monday and

    > have a photo-pit pass. First 3 songs no flash allowed.
    >
    > I am borrowing this camera from my grandfather and he normaly uses it
    > for family photos and outdoor scenes. I was looking at the ISO and it
    > only goes up to not even 400.
    >
    > Looking for suggestions here. I would like to use the digital if at

    all
    > possible. Will the tungstun lights mess with the auto focus? Should I
    > stick with manaual? Will enough light be able to get to the CCD? Will
    > the action on stage blur? How far can I push this camera and still

    get
    > shots good enough for the web and possibly print?
    >
    > Hey if I need to go with a 3200 speed film I will but I want to save
    > that for a last resort!
    >
    > Thanks guys!

    , Mar 28, 2005