    I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
    I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come first.
    Raine.
    Raine, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Raine

    Rob Guest

    I wouldn't recomend just deleting stuff.
    You can delete your temporary internet cache & cookies. Clean out the
    recycle bin. Check out your add&remove programs in the control panel. You
    can get rid of programs like office, games, en such safely.

    --
    Rob B
    http://www.techhowto.org

    Rob, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Raine

    Raine Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > I wouldn't recomend just deleting stuff.
    > You can delete your temporary internet cache & cookies. Clean out the
    > recycle bin. Check out your add&remove programs in the control panel.

    You
    > can get rid of programs like office, games, en such safely.
    >
    > --
    > Rob B
    > http://www.techhowto.org
    >

    > "Raine" <> wrote in message
    > > Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
    > >
    > > How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer

    without
    > > upsetting the Operating System, please?
    > > I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
    > > I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
    > > I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come

    first.
    > > Raine.

    I've done all of that. TIFs' etc are cleared out daily, as is history
    files and recycle bin is also, don't have games on the comp, office
    isn't installed.
    Add/Remove holds the programs I need, and the Microsoft updates, only.
    I'm thinking more on the lines of Microsoft Frontpage, and Real Player.
    But thanks, I'll go look in the Registry see if there's anything there I
    can delete safely.
    Raine.
    Raine, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Raine

    Ionizer Guest

    "Raine" <> wrote in message

    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > > I wouldn't recomend just deleting stuff.
    > > You can delete your temporary internet cache & cookies. Clean out the
    > > recycle bin. Check out your add&remove programs in the control panel.

    > You
    > > can get rid of programs like office, games, en such safely.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rob B
    > > http://www.techhowto.org
    > >

    > > "Raine" <> wrote in message
    > > > Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
    > > >
    > > > How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer

    > without
    > > > upsetting the Operating System, please?
    > > > I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
    > > > I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
    > > > I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come

    > first.
    > > > Raine.
    > > >

    > I've done all of that. TIFs' etc are cleared out daily, as is history
    > files and recycle bin is also, don't have games on the comp, office
    > isn't installed.
    > Add/Remove holds the programs I need, and the Microsoft updates, only.
    > I'm thinking more on the lines of Microsoft Frontpage, and Real Player.
    > But thanks, I'll go look in the Registry see if there's anything there I
    > can delete safely.
    > Raine.

    I don't think that deleting registry entries will free any disc space, and
    you could really screw things up in there. Do you have an mp3 or movie or
    large picture collection that you could offload to CD to free up some space?
    How much space do you need to create, by the way?

    --
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Raine

    Raine Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    "Raine" <> wrote in message

    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > > I wouldn't recomend just deleting stuff.
    > > You can delete your temporary internet cache & cookies. Clean out

    the
    > > recycle bin. Check out your add&remove programs in the control

    panel.
    > You
    > > can get rid of programs like office, games, en such safely.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rob B
    > > http://www.techhowto.org
    > >

    > > "Raine" <> wrote in message
    > > > Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
    > > >
    > > > How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer

    > without
    > > > upsetting the Operating System, please?
    > > > I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
    > > > I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
    > > > I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come

    > first.
    > > > Raine.
    > > >

    > I've done all of that. TIFs' etc are cleared out daily, as is history
    > files and recycle bin is also, don't have games on the comp, office
    > isn't installed.
    > Add/Remove holds the programs I need, and the Microsoft updates, only.
    > I'm thinking more on the lines of Microsoft Frontpage, and Real

    Player.
    > But thanks, I'll go look in the Registry see if there's anything there

    > can delete safely.
    > Raine.

    I don't think that deleting registry entries will free any disc space,
    and
    you could really screw things up in there. Do you have an mp3 or movie
    or
    large picture collection that you could offload to CD to free up some
    space?
    How much space do you need to create, by the way?

    --
    Ian.

    Hi Ian,
    No mp3, and I didn't think removing any of the pics I have would give me
    the space I need, lol, I only have 10 bits of clipart. I don't even know
    if I can remove the shared files safely.
    I want to clear 2 gigs if I can. I'm looking at a re-install, I think!
    Raine.
    Raine, Sep 27, 2003
  6. Raine

    HamMan Guest

    "Raine" <> wrote in message
    > Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
    >
    > How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer without
    > upsetting the Operating System, please?
    > I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
    > I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
    > I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come first.
    > Raine.

    How big is the hard disk?
    HamMan, Sep 27, 2003
  7. Raine

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:25:31 +0100, in
    <HZhdb.610$>
    Raine scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  8. Raine

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:01:09 +0100, in
    <5vidb.1155$>
    Raine scrawled:

    <snip>

    >I want to clear 2 gigs if I can. I'm looking at a re-install, I think!
    >Raine.

    Control Panel / Add\Remove Programs - uninstall *anything* that
    you don't use/want.

    If you have a *folder* called "Windows Update Setup Files", delete
    it.

    Add more RAM, so that (in theory) your swap file should be smaller.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  9. Raine

    Raine Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:01:09 +0100, in
    <5vidb.1155$>
    Raine scrawled:

    <snip>

    >I want to clear 2 gigs if I can. I'm looking at a re-install, I think!
    >Raine.

    Control Panel / Add\Remove Programs - uninstall *anything* that
    you don't use/want.

    If you have a *folder* called "Windows Update Setup Files", delete
    it.

    Add more RAM, so that (in theory) your swap file should be smaller.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance

    I've already got plenty of RAM installed, I've been told any more might
    cause problems.(about 512mb - if thats the right term?)
    There is nothing in Add/Remove I don't use/need. Been to re-check Mike,
    the main fault is a tiny HD, so I might just have to bear with it a
    while longer.
    Raine.
    Raine, Sep 27, 2003
  10. Raine

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:03:16 +0100, in
    <jpjdb.43$>
    Raine scrawled:

    <snip>

    >I've already got plenty of RAM installed, I've been told any more might
    >cause problems.(about 512mb - if thats the right term?)
    >There is nothing in Add/Remove I don't use/need. Been to re-check Mike,
    >the main fault is a tiny HD, so I might just have to bear with it a
    >while longer.
    >Raine.

    If that's the case, then a larger hard drive is probably your
    only option.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  11. Raine

    Raine Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:03:16 +0100, in
    <jpjdb.43$>
    Raine scrawled:

    <snip>

    >I've already got plenty of RAM installed, I've been told any more might
    >cause problems.(about 512mb - if thats the right term?)
    >There is nothing in Add/Remove I don't use/need. Been to re-check Mike,
    >the main fault is a tiny HD, so I might just have to bear with it a
    >while longer.
    >Raine.

    If that's the case, then a larger hard drive is probably your
    only option.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    Thanks, sweety, when I DO get my new HD, can I transfer the info from
    this one on to it? Is that what they call ghosting? And, will I need to
    do those dratted Microsoft Updates again?
    Raine
    Raine, Sep 27, 2003
  12. Raine

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:06:52 +0100, in
    <Xkkdb.327$>
    Raine scrawled:

    >From: "Raine" <>
    >Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:03:16 +0100, in
    > <jpjdb.43$>
    > Raine scrawled:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >>I've already got plenty of RAM installed, I've been told any more might
    >>cause problems.(about 512mb - if thats the right term?)
    >>There is nothing in Add/Remove I don't use/need. Been to re-check Mike,
    >>the main fault is a tiny HD, so I might just have to bear with it a
    >>while longer.
    >>Raine.

    >If that's the case, then a larger hard drive is probably your
    >only option.
    >

    >Thanks, sweety, when I DO get my new HD, can I transfer the info from
    >this one on to it? Is that what they call ghosting? And, will I need to
    >do those dratted Microsoft Updates again?
    >Raine

    You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
    Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  13. Raine

    Raine Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:06:52 +0100, in
    <Xkkdb.327$>
    Raine scrawled:

    >From: "Raine" <>
    >Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:03:16 +0100, in
    > <jpjdb.43$>
    > Raine scrawled:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >>I've already got plenty of RAM installed, I've been told any more

    might
    >>cause problems.(about 512mb - if thats the right term?)
    >>There is nothing in Add/Remove I don't use/need. Been to re-check

    Mike,
    >>the main fault is a tiny HD, so I might just have to bear with it a
    >>while longer.
    >>Raine.

    >If that's the case, then a larger hard drive is probably your
    >only option.
    >

    >Thanks, sweety, when I DO get my new HD, can I transfer the info from
    >this one on to it? Is that what they call ghosting? And, will I need to
    >do those dratted Microsoft Updates again?
    >Raine

    You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
    Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    Groooooooooooan, lol, thanks a bunch, another question then? So I start
    from scratch, can I save the Fonts Folder I have now to disc, to
    re-install on the new HD? Or will I get new Fonts with the new HD?
    Crazy question maybe, but I've installed several new Fonts on here and I
    really don't want to have to sift through the huge file (6000 +) I have
    on CD to find them all again. I wouldn't know the OS Fonts from Adam
    now, lol.
    Raine.
    Raine, Sep 27, 2003
  14. Raine

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:46:37 +0100, in
    <J_ldb.1$>
    Raine scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
    >Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.
    >
    >Groooooooooooan, lol, thanks a bunch, another question then? So I start
    >from scratch, can I save the Fonts Folder I have now to disc, to
    >re-install on the new HD? Or will I get new Fonts with the new HD?
    >Crazy question maybe, but I've installed several new Fonts on here and I
    >really don't want to have to sift through the huge file (6000 +) I have
    >on CD to find them all again. I wouldn't know the OS Fonts from Adam
    >now, lol.
    >Raine.

    Absolutely, you can save it. I hope you don't have all 6000+ fonts
    installed - this can cause problems. There is no limit to the amount
    of fonts installed in XP, but it WILL slow the bootup process.

    Windows 9x/ME has a limit of (approx.) 1000 fonts, depending on
    font name lengths and font filename lengths.

    Generally, you should only install those fonts that you need or
    use regularly. Should you need a specific font at a later time,
    it can easily be installed.

    You can also save any other important data that you have,
    such as address book, blocked senders, favorites, and other
    data that you might not want to lose, such as music or
    image files, databases, work documents etc.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  15. Raine

    Raine Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:46:37 +0100, in
    <J_ldb.1$>
    Raine scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
    >Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.
    >
    >Groooooooooooan, lol, thanks a bunch, another question then? So I start
    >from scratch, can I save the Fonts Folder I have now to disc, to
    >re-install on the new HD? Or will I get new Fonts with the new HD?
    >Crazy question maybe, but I've installed several new Fonts on here and

    >really don't want to have to sift through the huge file (6000 +) I have
    >on CD to find them all again. I wouldn't know the OS Fonts from Adam
    >now, lol.
    >Raine.

    Absolutely, you can save it. I hope you don't have all 6000+ fonts
    installed - this can cause problems. There is no limit to the amount
    of fonts installed in XP, but it WILL slow the bootup process.

    Windows 9x/ME has a limit of (approx.) 1000 fonts, depending on
    font name lengths and font filename lengths.

    Generally, you should only install those fonts that you need or
    use regularly. Should you need a specific font at a later time,
    it can easily be installed.

    You can also save any other important data that you have,
    such as address book, blocked senders, favorites, and other
    data that you might not want to lose, such as music or
    image files, databases, work documents etc.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    No, Mike, haven't got all 6000 installed, but do have the CD with them
    all on it.
    But I do believe you have hit on my mini problem!
    The Fonts I DID install are taking up space I sure could use right now!
    All I need now is to find out the XP OS Fonts originally installed.
    Thanks sweety, for the help.
    Raine.
    Raine, Sep 27, 2003
  16. Raine

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:49:48 +0100, in
    <GJmdb.374$>
    Raine scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:46:37 +0100, in
    > <J_ldb.1$>
    > Raine scrawled:
    >

    >>"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    ><snip>
    >
    >>You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
    >>Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.
    >>
    >>Groooooooooooan, lol, thanks a bunch, another question then? So I start
    >>from scratch, can I save the Fonts Folder I have now to disc, to
    >>re-install on the new HD? Or will I get new Fonts with the new HD?
    >>Crazy question maybe, but I've installed several new Fonts on here and

    >>really don't want to have to sift through the huge file (6000 +) I have
    >>on CD to find them all again. I wouldn't know the OS Fonts from Adam
    >>now, lol.
    >>Raine.

    >Absolutely, you can save it. I hope you don't have all 6000+ fonts
    >installed - this can cause problems. There is no limit to the amount
    >of fonts installed in XP, but it WILL slow the bootup process.
    >
    >Windows 9x/ME has a limit of (approx.) 1000 fonts, depending on
    >font name lengths and font filename lengths.
    >
    >Generally, you should only install those fonts that you need or
    >use regularly. Should you need a specific font at a later time,
    >it can easily be installed.
    >
    >You can also save any other important data that you have,
    >such as address book, blocked senders, favorites, and other
    >data that you might not want to lose, such as music or
    >image files, databases, work documents etc.
    >
    >--
    >Basic computer maintenance
    >http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    >

    >No, Mike, haven't got all 6000 installed, but do have the CD with them
    >all on it.
    >But I do believe you have hit on my mini problem!
    >The Fonts I DID install are taking up space I sure could use right now!
    >All I need now is to find out the XP OS Fonts originally installed.
    >Thanks sweety, for the help.
    >Raine.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  17. Raine

    Patrick Guest

    My 'uninstall' folders amount to 265MB (>1/4GB)
    (just thought I'd tell you ! :) )

    Patrick, Sep 27, 2003
  18. Raine

    Raine Guest

    Thank you Patrick, had already deleted it.
    Found my problem, now thanks, but unable to put it right, as yet.
    Raine

    Raine, Sep 27, 2003
  19. Raine

    anthonyberet Guest

    Raine wrote:
    > Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
    >
    > How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer without
    > upsetting the Operating System, please?
    > I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
    > I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
    > I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come
    > first. Raine.

    Dont forget to compact your email data in outlook express (and your
    newsgroups). This can really bloat if you leave it for a long time.
    Certainly you should get rid of Realplayer, as that would still suck even if
    it wasn't so bloated.
    bounce.
    Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:
    http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/780772
    anthonyberet
    anthonyberet, Sep 27, 2003
  20. Raine

    Raine Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    Raine wrote:
    > Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
    >
    > How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer without
    > upsetting the Operating System, please?
    > I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
    > I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
    > I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come
    > first. Raine.

    Dont forget to compact your email data in outlook express (and your
    newsgroups). This can really bloat if you leave it for a long time.
    Certainly you should get rid of Realplayer, as that would still suck
    even if
    it wasn't so bloated.
    --
    Put "usenet" in the subject-line if you want to mail me, otherwise it
    will
    bounce.
    Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:
    http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/780772
    anthonyberet

    Thank-you, will delete Real Player, with the greatest of pleasure!
    Thanks for the compact tip, too.
    Raine.
    Raine, Sep 28, 2003