Help requested concerning adding a wireless unit to a 4 port linksys wired router.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by buddyb@yippy.ti.ye, Feb 11, 2008.

  1. Guest

    The current setup is that the 4 port router(Linksys) is connected to the
    incoming fiber optics cable via the WAN jack. This is DSL but uses no
    modem.
    2 computers are hard-wired to the router.

    I want to provide a wireless feature for the house. What linksys product
    do I need to add to the router?
    How would it connect to the wired router?

    I tried to use a 4 port wireless router that requires a modem but I
    never could get it to find the router.

    I had plugged the incoming cable into the WAN jack of the new wireless
    router.
    Perhaps it might have worked if I had tried longer.

    Appreciate any help.

    Regards
    buddy b

    , Feb 11, 2008

  2. Guest

    Re: Help requested concerning adding a wireless unit to a 4 port linksys wired router. added

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 04:49:08 GMT, wrote:

    >The current setup is that the 4 port router(Linksys) is connected to

    the
    >incoming fiber optics cable via the WAN jack. This is DSL but uses no
    >modem.
    >2 computers are hard-wired to the router.
    >
    >I want to provide a wireless feature for the house. What linksys

    product
    >do I need to add to the router?
    >How would it connect to the wired router?
    >
    >I tried to use a 4 port wireless router that requires a modem but I
    >never could get it to find the router.
    >
    >I had plugged the incoming cable into the WAN jack of the new wireless
    >router.
    >Perhaps it might have worked if I had tried longer.
    >
    >Appreciate any help.
    >
    > Regards
    > buddy b

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=3978991233B01

    I don`t want the N version, at least not now, as all of the laptop
    wireless cards are b or g.
    The url above shows linksys wireless routers.
    Regards
    buddy b

    , Feb 11, 2008

  3. Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: Help requested concerning adding a wireless unit to a 4 port linksys wired router. added

    N is backwards compatible with b/g (but it is Draft 2.0N). a WAP54G
    would do what you want, however.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Feb 11, 2008
  4. Hi
    The least expensive method would be to find a good Wireless Cable/DSL Router
    and use it as a Switch with an Access Point.
    Due to market volume Wireless Routerd are less expensive than comparable
    Access Points and there is much bigger selection.
    You can use any Wireless Router (Linksys WRT54G, or others),
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 11, 2008
  5. Guest

    Re: Help requested concerning adding a wireless unit to a 4 port linksys wired router. Thanks Barb & jack

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:00:12 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >The least expensive method would be to find a good Wireless Cable/DSL

    Router
    >and use it as a Switch with an Access Point.
    >Due to market volume Wireless Routerd are less expensive than

    comparable
    >Access Points and there is much bigger selection.
    >You can use any Wireless Router (Linksys WRT54G, or others),
    >http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >> The current setup is that the 4 port router(Linksys) is connected to

    the
    >> incoming fiber optics cable via the WAN jack. This is DSL but uses no
    >> modem.
    >> 2 computers are hard-wired to the router.
    >>
    >> I want to provide a wireless feature for the house. What linksys

    product
    >> do I need to add to the router?
    >> How would it connect to the wired router?
    >>
    >> I tried to use a 4 port wireless router that requires a modem but I
    >> never could get it to find the router.
    >>
    >> I had plugged the incoming cable into the WAN jack of the new

    wireless
    >> router.
    >> Perhaps it might have worked if I had tried longer.
    >>
    >> Appreciate any help.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> buddy b

    Haven`t worked on the problems, yet. Hope to Monday.

    Maybe you can answer this: Can I use the WRT54GS Instead of the old
    wired router?
    Thanks

    Regards
    buddy b