HELP REQ: getting rid of cached webpage

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Jan 2, 2010.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    OS: WinXPpro
    ISP: Telecom Xtra
    ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
    Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110

    It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
    changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
    usual.

    But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
    page loaded without any changes.

    Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.

    Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
    luck.

    Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
    from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
    directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
    and IE.

    Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
    European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
    that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
    suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
    cache.

    After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
    Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
    But no such luck.

    Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
    Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
    well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
    page didn't exist.

    So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
    (without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
    wireless connection).

    I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
    LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
    computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
    out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.

    The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm

    TIA
    Donchano, Jan 2, 2010

  2. Donchano

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...

    > OS: WinXPpro
    > ISP: Telecom Xtra
    > ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
    > Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110
    >
    > It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
    > changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
    > usual.
    >
    > But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
    > page loaded without any changes.
    >
    > Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.
    >
    > Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
    > luck.
    >
    > Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
    > from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
    > directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
    > and IE.
    >
    > Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
    > European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
    > that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
    > suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
    > cache.
    >
    > After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
    > Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
    > But no such luck.
    >
    > Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
    > Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
    > well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
    > page didn't exist.
    >
    > So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
    > (without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
    > wireless connection).
    >
    > I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
    > LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
    > computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
    > out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
    >
    > The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm

    I don't think there's a lot you can do about it (Telecom's cache).

    I get no page BTW (Telstraclear cable, Otautahi (chch)).

    One would expect an ISP cache to expire every 24hrs or so - and it seems
    that's working (from the guff above re the Telecom folk trying it).

    Perhaps it is a cache stored by your modem or router - but I assume
    you've checked that quite thoroughly.

    What do you get if you use IE (8) - and then press F12 - and check
    through some of the menu's - see if you can find out where the html it
    actually coming from. Try the various clear cache options while in
    developer mode.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 2, 2010

  3. Donchano

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...

    > OS: WinXPpro
    > ISP: Telecom Xtra
    > ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
    > Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110
    >
    > It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
    > changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
    > usual.
    >
    > But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
    > page loaded without any changes.
    >
    > Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.
    >
    > Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
    > luck.
    >
    > Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
    > from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
    > directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
    > and IE.
    >
    > Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
    > European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
    > that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
    > suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
    > cache.
    >
    > After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
    > Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
    > But no such luck.
    >
    > Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
    > Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
    > well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
    > page didn't exist.
    >
    > So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
    > (without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
    > wireless connection).
    >
    > I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
    > LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
    > computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
    > out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
    >
    > The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm

    And if some of my suggestions dont' help - try a tracing tool like
    Wireshark - it should identify any cache being used.

    http://www.wireshark.org/

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 2, 2010
  4. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:01:35 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >Perhaps it is a cache stored by your modem or router - but I assume
    >you've checked that quite thoroughly.

    I've not been able to find any information about clearing/flushing the
    caches on either the modem or the router on the net. But I've already
    downloaded firmware updates for both so I'll go back and see if I can
    also download manuals for them.

    >What do you get if you use IE (8) - and then press F12 - and check
    >through some of the menu's - see if you can find out where the html it
    >actually coming from. Try the various clear cache options while in
    >developer mode.

    Strangely, when I opened IE to check on the page it was no longer
    there! But two other pages I've removed from the web root directory at
    the same time are:

    http://www.surfwriter.net/reviews.htm

    http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm

    I wonder if you're checking http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm had
    anything to do with it finally not loading? Probably not, but if you
    would be kind enough to check those other two links to see if they
    load for you, I'd be grateful.
    Donchano, Jan 2, 2010
  5. Donchano

    Squiggle Guest

    Donchano threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > OS: WinXPpro
    > ISP: Telecom Xtra
    > ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
    > Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110
    >
    > It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
    > changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
    > usual.
    >
    > But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
    > page loaded without any changes.
    >
    > Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.
    >
    > Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
    > luck.
    >
    > Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
    > from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
    > directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
    > and IE.
    >
    > Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
    > European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
    > that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
    > suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
    > cache.
    >
    > After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
    > Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
    > But no such luck.
    >
    > Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
    > Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
    > well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
    > page didn't exist.
    >
    > So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
    > (without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
    > wireless connection).
    >
    > I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
    > LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
    > computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
    > out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
    >
    > The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm
    >
    > TIA

    I think it's _extremely_ unlikely that a router like the d-link would be
    running a web cache. It doesn't have enough ram or a hard disk to cache
    the information to.

    If i'm wrong, it would be easy enough the determine, reboot the router,
    that would flush the ram in the router and clear anything it had cached.

    Your browser isn't in offline mode by chance is it? Or an entry in your
    hosts file pointing at a test server? No local "web-accelator software"
    installed?

    If its none of the above then my money is on Xtra (or somebody in
    their upstream) not expiring it out of their cache. You need to find
    out what someone else on an Xtra connection sees when they access
    that page. Possibly the "Complex Technical issues" team have their
    connection routed differently and avoid the web-cache.
    Squiggle, Jan 2, 2010
  6. Donchano

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 2, 5:32 pm, Donchano <> wrote:

    > I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
    > LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
    > computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
    > out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
    >
    > The page:http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm
    >
    > TIA

    The problem could be at the web host end especially if multiple
    mahines are used to serve the site.
    peterwn, Jan 2, 2010
  7. Donchano

    Richard Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > OS: WinXPpro
    > ISP: Telecom Xtra
    > ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
    > Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110
    >
    > It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
    > changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
    > usual.
    >
    > But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
    > page loaded without any changes.
    >
    > Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.
    >
    > Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
    > luck.
    >
    > Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
    > from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
    > directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
    > and IE.
    >
    > Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
    > European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
    > that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
    > suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
    > cache.
    >
    > After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
    > Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
    > But no such luck.
    >
    > Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
    > Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
    > well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
    > page didn't exist.
    >
    > So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
    > (without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
    > wireless connection).
    >
    > I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
    > LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
    > computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
    > out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
    >
    > The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm

    What expiry directive were the pages served with? If xtra are caching
    beyond what was authorized by the server when they retrieved the page
    then they are no better than a p2p bittorrent user with generating
    unlicensed copied of your copyrighted work.

    If you dont know what expiration directives the server is set up with,
    you could try putting in some meta equiv headers which often work, but
    only for html content, not images naturally.

    I have not had xtra serve cached pages if I did a ctrl F5 to request a
    non cached item, but I dont get to use xtra connections very often since
    I dont know anyone with one now.
    Richard, Jan 2, 2010
  8. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:32:08 +1300, Donchano
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    PROBLEM SOLVED: I applied a simple suggestion offered on another
    computer newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

    The poster suggested that I simply add an "/" (without the quotes) at
    the end of the URL and "that will force a refresh from the site."

    It worked!

    Donchano, Jan 2, 2010
  9. In message <>, Donchano wrote:

    > But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
    > page loaded without any changes.

    A client of mine had a similar problem a few weeks earlier. I dimly
    remembered a tip from the Netscape days, of holding down the shift key while
    clicking Refresh. He tried it in Firefox, and it worked.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 2, 2010
  10. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:22:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >In message <>, Donchano wrote:
    >
    >> But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
    >> page loaded without any changes.

    >A client of mine had a similar problem a few weeks earlier. I dimly
    >remembered a tip from the Netscape days, of holding down the shift key while
    >clicking Refresh. He tried it in Firefox, and it worked.

    Thanks for replying. Tried that, but it didn't work. What I'm still
    seeing is the page before I changed and updated it. Although I removed
    the page entirely from the root directory of my webhost's server I
    have now re-uploaded the changed/updated page. If I use the following
    URL my browsers load the old, unchanged page (without a link to an
    interview on the upper right of the page).

    http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm

    But if I add "/" to the URL the page comes up as "Page Not Found."

    http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm/
    Donchano, Jan 2, 2010
  11. In message <>, Donchano wrote:

    > If I use the following URL my browsers load the old, unchanged page
    > (without a link to an interview on the upper right of the page).
    >
    > http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm

    I see an interview link mentioning LiquidSalt.Net, and wget returns headers
    indicating the page was last modified this morning NZ time:

    Last-Modified: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 19:36:29 GMT

    Are you still seeing the old page? If so, there must be caching happening
    somewhere else for you.

    Here’s another tip: try sticking a question mark on the end:

    http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm?

    That makes it look like you’re going to pass CGI parameters, without
    actualaly specifying any, but it still makes for a different URL.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 2, 2010
  12. Donchano

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...

    > On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:01:35 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >Perhaps it is a cache stored by your modem or router - but I assume
    > >you've checked that quite thoroughly.

    > I've not been able to find any information about clearing/flushing the
    > caches on either the modem or the router on the net. But I've already
    > downloaded firmware updates for both so I'll go back and see if I can
    > also download manuals for them.
    >
    > >What do you get if you use IE (8) - and then press F12 - and check
    > >through some of the menu's - see if you can find out where the html it
    > >actually coming from. Try the various clear cache options while in
    > >developer mode.

    > Strangely, when I opened IE to check on the page it was no longer
    > there! But two other pages I've removed from the web root directory at
    > the same time are:
    >
    > http://www.surfwriter.net/reviews.htm
    >
    > http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm
    >
    > I wonder if you're checking http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm had
    > anything to do with it finally not loading? Probably not, but if you
    > would be kind enough to check those other two links to see if they
    > load for you, I'd be grateful.

    Both working.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 2, 2010
  13. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:57:57 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:01:35 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    >> from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >> >Perhaps it is a cache stored by your modem or router - but I assume
    >> >you've checked that quite thoroughly.

    >> I've not been able to find any information about clearing/flushing the
    >> caches on either the modem or the router on the net. But I've already
    >> downloaded firmware updates for both so I'll go back and see if I can
    >> also download manuals for them.
    >>
    >> >What do you get if you use IE (8) - and then press F12 - and check
    >> >through some of the menu's - see if you can find out where the html it
    >> >actually coming from. Try the various clear cache options while in
    >> >developer mode.

    >> Strangely, when I opened IE to check on the page it was no longer
    >> there! But two other pages I've removed from the web root directory at
    >> the same time are:
    >>
    >> http://www.surfwriter.net/reviews.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm
    >>
    >> I wonder if you're checking http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm had
    >> anything to do with it finally not loading? Probably not, but if you
    >> would be kind enough to check those other two links to see if they
    >> load for you, I'd be grateful.

    >Both working.

    Thank you. Do you remember if the change I made to The Living Curl
    review has a link in the upper right of the page that reads: You can
    catch an excellent interview with filmmaker, Jamie Budge on Liquid
    Salt.Net ?

    My browsers are still showing the old, unchanged version when I use
    http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm and "Page Not Found"
    when I use http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm/ .

    Could my Firefox-Google toolbar be caching them somewhere?
    Donchano, Jan 2, 2010
  14. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:22:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> In message <>, Donchano wrote:
    >>
    >>> But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
    >>> page loaded without any changes.

    >> A client of mine had a similar problem a few weeks earlier. I dimly
    >> remembered a tip from the Netscape days, of holding down the shift key while
    >> clicking Refresh. He tried it in Firefox, and it worked.

    > Thanks for replying. Tried that, but it didn't work. What I'm still
    > seeing is the page before I changed and updated it. Although I removed
    > the page entirely from the root directory of my webhost's server I
    > have now re-uploaded the changed/updated page. If I use the following
    > URL my browsers load the old, unchanged page (without a link to an
    > interview on the upper right of the page).
    >
    > http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm
    >
    > But if I add "/" to the URL the page comes up as "Page Not Found."
    >
    > http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm/

    As it should. Adding the / at the end of the URL tells the webserver
    that you are looking for a page in a *directory* called
    'the_living_curl.htm', (specifically, the default page in that
    directory) and there isn't any such directory.

    As of 2:15pm on Sunday I see the page with the link.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 3, 2010
  15. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    Well the explanation is rubbish, but I'm glad it works. The / at the end
    tells the web browser that you are looking for the default page in the
    directory that you appended the / to, and forces it to look it up, if
    you haven't looked up that directory before. Nothing to do with a refresh.

    So, if you have a URL http://mysite.com/directory it will first look for
    a file called 'directory' (and fail) then a directory called 'directory'
    (and succeed) and then for a default page in the directory called
    'directory' called (usually) 'index.htm' or 'index.html'.

    My first thought on reading the OP was "TelstraClear" whose caching was
    notorious. However my guess is that it was Telecom Xtra's fault, if you
    had managed to clear all the caches on your machines. It's unlikely that
    the routers or modems had cached it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 3, 2010
  16. Donchano

    EMB Guest

    On 3/01/2010 11:46 a.m., Donchano wrote:

    > Thanks for replying. Tried that, but it didn't work. What I'm still
    > seeing is the page before I changed and updated it. Although I removed
    > the page entirely from the root directory of my webhost's server I
    > have now re-uploaded the changed/updated page. If I use the following
    > URL my browsers load the old, unchanged page (without a link to an
    > interview on the upper right of the page).
    >
    > http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm

    Works ok for me on an xtra connection so it's unlikely to be their
    caching (or they are running several different caches one of which is
    borked).

    NB - also worked faultlessly for me yesterday too.
    EMB, Jan 3, 2010
  17. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 14:26:13 +1300, Enkidu <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    In retrrospect I'm inclined to believe that the reason the explanation
    worked had little to do with me finding that the cached pages had
    finally stopped loading this morning and that the new, updated pages
    had taken their place.

    But the problem persists. I've just updated another page (just to test
    things out) and all I can load in FF and IE is the page as it looked
    before I updated.

    I'm wondering if my Firefox-Google toolbar add-on might have anything
    to do with it. I see that Google does cache frequently visited pages
    and haven't been able to discover how to disable this feature.

    OTOH I've uninstalled Google Toolbar from Firefox on my laptop and it
    hasn't made a scrap of difference.

    In addition to adding DNS Cache to CCleaner's list I've also manually
    cleaned it using "ipconfig /flushcache" in "Run."

    Donchano, Jan 3, 2010
  18. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    If you have access to the server logs, you could see how many 304
    the content in cache since <time> and the page has not changed since
    then". If you install the "Live HTTP headers" plugin in Firefox that
    might tell you something.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 3, 2010
  19. In message <>, Donchano wrote:

    > But the problem persists. I've just updated another page (just to test
    > things out) and all I can load in FF and IE is the page as it looked
    > before I updated.

    Does the problem also show with wget? Worth trying that, because it takes
    browser peculiarities completely out of the equation.

    And does the question-mark trick work?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 3, 2010
  20. Donchano

    Max Burke Guest

    On 2/01/2010 5:32 p.m., Donchano wrote:
    > OS: WinXPpro
    > ISP: Telecom Xtra
    > ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
    > Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110
    > It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
    > changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
    > usual.

    > But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
    > page loaded without any changes.

    > Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.
    >
    > Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
    > luck.

    I get the new page on Telstra Clear/Paradise cable in Wellington

    <Quote>
    THIS PAGE IS UPDATED REGULARLY
    and was last updated on 03 January 2010

    Please email new links to: Bob Feigel