    computer. That is with around 34 minutes left on the install. Safe reboot
    wouldn't work for an install.

    Any thoughts?

    Joe J., Dec 9, 2009

  2. Joe J.

    Paul Guest

    Joe J. wrote:
    > I need some advice on replacing my hard drive. It is a Dell Dimension 4700
    > with an 80G drive. The Disk Diagnoses program comes up with error 7, so I'm
    > trying to replace it.
    > I bought a WD 250G drive and also bought a Kingwin USI 2525. My thought
    > was I would copy the entire contents of the current HD to the new 250G while
    > I still had it externally, then just pop it in. So much for best laid
    > plans. Copied it, using Drive Image XML and installed it. Win XP couldn't
    > boot from it.
    >
    > Ok, maybe the old one was getting too cluttered anyway and I have backups of
    > everything, so I thought I would do a clean install. Three tries and I
    > couldn't install XP Pro on the new 250G drive. It would get to the reboot
    > procedure on install, have me re-insert the CD, run for a couple more
    > minutes and then I get the warning that it is shutting down to protect my
    > computer. That is with around 34 minutes left on the install. Safe reboot
    > wouldn't work for an install.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    I think you should start by reading up on some of the things known about
    Dell setups. The Goodells site is better than anything you'll find on
    the Dell site itself.

    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

    If I was trying to copy over the Dell 80GB, I'd probably try a sector by
    sector copy, so more of the Dell structure would be preserved. DriveImage XML
    has some kind of raw option, but I don't know if that is the same thing or not.

    I copy disks for my own computer, using a Linux LiveCD and the "dd" disk dump
    program. One reason for doing that, is Windows isn't booted, and there is no
    need for VSS to get around the Windows "busy file" problem. A second benefit,
    is the "dd" does a sector by sector copy, which means any "tricks" used on
    the disk, get copied too.

    The end result of just copying the 80GB to the 250GB like that, would be
    the new drive would continue to look like an 80GB drive. There'd be a
    170GB chunk down near the end which is empty. You can use a Partition Manager
    program to stretch one of the partitions, so that all the space is filled.
    Partition Magic is a commercial program to do that. There is at least one
    free tool for Windows you can download. And in the Linux world, the GParted
    CD (or just the GParted program itself), offer a way of doing it from a Linux
    maintenance environment. In this case, since you'd still have the original
    80GB drive, as well as the new 250GB drive, if the resizing screwed up the
    drive, you could always start the cloning operation over again. Your 80GB
    continues to function as your "backup" against mistakes.

    Usually, the company making the disk, provides a disk copy program. I see
    they offer Acronis True Image for your WD drive here. When you download
    a program like this, it will likely check that at least one of the
    drives is WD branded. I don't know anything about the Acronis products,
    but having seen one of their manuals before, they tend to expose all the
    complexities, so you need time to read the manual.

    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&level1=&prodid=&modelno=&lang=en

    WD seems to have some instructions for Acronis, in their KB. This is an
    example, for cloning with Acronis.

    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3682

    This is going to be more of a learning experience, than a "slam dunk"...

    Just a guess,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 9, 2009

  3. Joe J.

    baron Guest

    Joe J. Inscribed thus:

    > I need some advice on replacing my hard drive. It is a Dell Dimension
    > 4700
    > with an 80G drive. The Disk Diagnoses program comes up with error 7,
    > so I'm trying to replace it.
    > I bought a WD 250G drive and also bought a Kingwin USI 2525. My
    > thought was I would copy the entire contents of the current HD to the
    > new 250G while
    > I still had it externally, then just pop it in. So much for best laid
    > plans. Copied it, using Drive Image XML and installed it. Win XP
    > couldn't boot from it.
    >
    > Ok, maybe the old one was getting too cluttered anyway and I have
    > backups of
    > everything, so I thought I would do a clean install. Three tries and
    > couldn't install XP Pro on the new 250G drive. It would get to the
    > reboot procedure on install, have me re-insert the CD, run for a
    > couple more minutes and then I get the warning that it is shutting
    > down to protect my
    > computer. That is with around 34 minutes left on the install. Safe
    > reboot wouldn't work for an install.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Does the 4700 support a HDD larger than 137Gb !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    baron, Dec 9, 2009
  4. Joe J.

    sandy58 Guest

    On Dec 9, 5:22 am, "Joe J." <> wrote:
    > I need some advice on replacing my hard drive.  It is a Dell Dimension 4700
    > with an 80G drive.  The Disk Diagnoses program comes up with error 7, so I'm
    > trying to replace it.
    > I bought a WD 250G drive and also bought a Kingwin  USI 2525.  My thought
    > was I would copy the entire contents of the current HD to the new 250G while
    > I still had it externally, then just pop it in.  So much for best laid
    > plans.  Copied it, using Drive Image XML and installed it. Win XP couldn't
    > boot from it.
    >
    > Ok, maybe the old one was getting too cluttered anyway and I have backups of
    > everything, so I thought I would do a clean install.  Three tries and I
    > couldn't install XP Pro on the new 250G drive.  It would get to the reboot
    > procedure on install, have me re-insert the CD, run for a couple more
    > minutes and then I get the warning that it is shutting down to protect my
    > computer.  That is with around 34 minutes left on the install.  Safe reboot
    > wouldn't work for an install.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Hope your e-mail works. :)

    sandy58, Dec 9, 2009
  5. Joe J.

    Paul Guest

    baron wrote:
    > Joe J. Inscribed thus:
    >
    >> I need some advice on replacing my hard drive. It is a Dell Dimension
    >> 4700
    >> with an 80G drive. The Disk Diagnoses program comes up with error 7,
    >> so I'm trying to replace it.
    >> I bought a WD 250G drive and also bought a Kingwin USI 2525. My
    >> thought was I would copy the entire contents of the current HD to the
    >> new 250G while
    >> I still had it externally, then just pop it in. So much for best laid
    >> plans. Copied it, using Drive Image XML and installed it. Win XP
    >> couldn't boot from it.
    >>
    >> Ok, maybe the old one was getting too cluttered anyway and I have
    >> backups of
    >> everything, so I thought I would do a clean install. Three tries and
    >> couldn't install XP Pro on the new 250G drive. It would get to the
    >> reboot procedure on install, have me re-insert the CD, run for a
    >> couple more minutes and then I get the warning that it is shutting
    >> down to protect my
    >> computer. That is with around 34 minutes left on the install. Safe
    >> reboot wouldn't work for an install.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > Does the 4700 support a HDD larger than 137Gb !

    One of the original options is a 160GB SATA. This article is
    posted Aug 4, 2004, which is roughly a year after the switchover
    to 48 bit LBA for IDE BIOS support. Even my 875 chipset board
    has 48 bit LBA, and this motherboard is based on Intel 915.
    I suspect it is safe.

    Maybe you could get yourself in trouble, using a
    WinXP Gold (original release) installer CD. If
    a WinXP installer is SP1 or later, chances are it'll be
    OK. That gives you built-in SATA support and 48 bit LBA
    (>137GB) for IDE drives.

    Also, I was lazy before, and didn't look up the "34 minute" thing.
    Those observations are very handy, since you can usually find
    some article which addresses what breaks at a particular minute
    point in the install. This is the KB article for "34 minutes".
    Basically, something is going amiss with respect to device installation.
    There are a couple log files they mention here, that you can
    look at.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828267

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 9, 2009