    non-media files. Does anyone have any suggestion on how best to
    proceed, or could recommend recovery programs (ideally freeware) that
    work effectively on overwritten files on thumb drives? Thanks!

    Sentler, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Sentler

    Rock Guest

    Sentler wrote:

    > I had an unfortunate mishap the other night on my XP machine, and
    > accidentally overwrote some important files (mostly .txt, .doc, and
    > .xls files) on my 64mb USB Thumb Drive. My attempts at file recovery
    > (RecoverNT, Search and Recover, File Rescue Plus, Active Undelete,
    > eImage, PC Inspector Smart Recovery, etc) have, at best, correctly
    > identified the overwritten file names, but recovered garbage. While
    > I’ve found many freeware flash picture recovery programs, I
    > haven’t found anything that correctly restores overwritten
    > non-media files. Does anyone have any suggestion on how best to
    > proceed, or could recommend recovery programs (ideally freeware) that
    > work effectively on overwritten files on thumb drives? Thanks!

    Executive Software “Undelete”:
    http://www.execsoft.com/undelete/undelete.asp

    Also:

    http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html

    Recover and Restore Deleted Files (Line 36)

    File Saver Pro - Recover Deleted Files
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

    www.recovermyfiles.com

    Rock, Sep 1, 2004

  3. Sentler

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Sentler <> wrote:
    > I had an unfortunate mishap the other night on my XP machine, and
    > accidentally overwrote some important files (mostly .txt, .doc, and
    > .xls files) on my 64mb USB Thumb Drive. My attempts at file recovery
    > (RecoverNT, Search and Recover, File Rescue Plus, Active Undelete,
    > eImage, PC Inspector Smart Recovery, etc) have, at best, correctly
    > identified the overwritten file names, but recovered garbage. While
    > I’ve found many freeware flash picture recovery programs, I
    > haven’t found anything that correctly restores overwritten
    > non-media files. Does anyone have any suggestion on how best to
    > proceed, or could recommend recovery programs (ideally freeware) that
    > work effectively on overwritten files on thumb drives? Thanks!

    What do you mean by overwritten? Any truly overwritten data
    (i.e. new data in the sectors the old data was in) cannot be
    recoverd by software and may also be unrecoverable by any
    other means.

    It is possible that you will not get more than the
    software you cited already gave you. You could also try
    a professional data recovery company, they have experience
    with puzzeling files together from fragments. However even
    they will not recover anythign that was overwritten.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 1, 2004
  4. Sentler

    Bryce Guest

    Does anyone have any suggestion on how best to
    > proceed, or could recommend recovery programs (ideally freeware) that
    > work effectively on overwritten files on thumb drives? Thanks!

    Freeware?

    Must be some really important files you are looking for.

    Bryce, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Sentler

    Kelly Guest

    Hi,

    What works, having done this today for an external USB drive:

    1. Do a search for the file and check the recycle bin. If nothing....
    2. Do a system restore, then run: Restorer2000: http://www.bitmart.net/
    Note: There is a limitation to the size of recovery for the free
    version.
    Note: Do not save the recovery files to the same drive they were
    deleted from.
    3. Register the Pro Version for full recovery.
    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    Kelly, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Sentler

    Sentler Guest

    > Freeware?
    >
    > Must be some really important files you are looking for.

    Nope. Unapologetically really cheap.

    Sentler, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Sentler

    Sentler Guest

    > What works, having done this today for an external USB drive:
    >
    > 1. Do a search for the file and check the recycle bin. If nothing....
    > 2. Do a system restore, then run: Restorer2000: http://www.bitmart.net/
    > Note: There is a limitation to the size of recovery for the free
    > version.
    > Note: Do not save the recovery files to the same drive they were
    > deleted from.
    > 3. Register the Pro Version for full recovery.
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly

    Cool! I'm going to try again this evening with your suggestions- Thank
    you all for your help!

    Sentler, Sep 2, 2004
  8. On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 04:32:01 -0500, "Kelly" <> wrote:

    >Hi,

    As I can't find the original post and you didn't include anything I'm
    going strictly by the subject line.

    >What works, having done this today for an external USB drive:

    I seriously doubt you recovered "over written files", it is not
    normally possible. Files can be recovered when deleted and even
    from reformatted drives, but not if that drive space has been over
    written, at least not with normal recovery techniques. Even with
    advanced techniques it's typical to only recover fragments.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Sep 2, 2004