Help! Rebel 300D won't turn on

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by madhobbit.geo@yahoo.com, May 16, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hey everyone,

    I'm in a bit of a bind, and hope someone can help me out. I just
    turned my faithful Canon Digital Rebel (the original 300D) on...except
    it didn't turn on. I'm planning to take pictures at a big family party
    in...about 15 hours, so I'm looking for advice...hopefully someone
    else has seen this before and has a suggestion.

    The details:
    - When I turn the power switch to "On", nothing at all happens. No
    lights, nothing on the LCD.
    - It worked perfectly a week ago, and has been sitting in my camera
    bag since, completely undisturbed.
    - The camera's never given me any trouble in the past whatsoever; it's
    always worked perfectly.
    - I've tried it with two different batteries, both freshly charged. A
    voltmeter reads the batteries as 8.0v and 8.4v.
    - I've tried it with and without the battery grip.
    - I've tried it with and without a CF card installed, as well as with
    and without a lens.
    - The CF door is closed properly, and there doesn't appear to be any
    damage to the interlock.

    I'll be taking it down to the local camera shop tomorrow to see if
    they have any ideas (or can try a new battery, or something), and I
    may be able to borrow a camera from a friend in time for the party,
    but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciative!

    (If it's given up the ghost completely, it's not the end of the world
    -- might be a good excuse to upgrade. But the timing sucks.)

    - Darryl

    , May 16, 2008

  2. OldBoy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > I'm in a bit of a bind, and hope someone can help me out. I just
    > turned my faithful Canon Digital Rebel (the original 300D) on...except
    > it didn't turn on. I'm planning to take pictures at a big family party
    > in...about 15 hours, so I'm looking for advice...hopefully someone
    > else has seen this before and has a suggestion.
    >
    > The details:
    > - When I turn the power switch to "On", nothing at all happens. No
    > lights, nothing on the LCD.
    > - It worked perfectly a week ago, and has been sitting in my camera
    > bag since, completely undisturbed.
    > - The camera's never given me any trouble in the past whatsoever; it's
    > always worked perfectly.
    > - I've tried it with two different batteries, both freshly charged. A
    > voltmeter reads the batteries as 8.0v and 8.4v.
    > - I've tried it with and without the battery grip.
    > - I've tried it with and without a CF card installed, as well as with
    > and without a lens.
    > - The CF door is closed properly, and there doesn't appear to be any
    > damage to the interlock.
    >
    > I'll be taking it down to the local camera shop tomorrow to see if
    > they have any ideas (or can try a new battery, or something), and I
    > may be able to borrow a camera from a friend in time for the party,
    > but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciative!

    Page 33 of the manual :)
    Replace the CR2016 lithium battery

    OldBoy, May 16, 2008

  3. OldBoy Guest

    "Focus" <> wrote in message

    > "OldBoy" <> wrote in message
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Hey everyone,
    >>>
    >>> I'm in a bit of a bind, and hope someone can help me out. I just
    >>> turned my faithful Canon Digital Rebel (the original 300D) on...except
    >>> it didn't turn on. I'm planning to take pictures at a big family party
    >>> in...about 15 hours, so I'm looking for advice...hopefully someone
    >>> else has seen this before and has a suggestion.
    >>>
    >>> The details:
    >>> - When I turn the power switch to "On", nothing at all happens. No
    >>> lights, nothing on the LCD.
    >>> - It worked perfectly a week ago, and has been sitting in my camera
    >>> bag since, completely undisturbed.
    >>> - The camera's never given me any trouble in the past whatsoever; it's
    >>> always worked perfectly.
    >>> - I've tried it with two different batteries, both freshly charged. A
    >>> voltmeter reads the batteries as 8.0v and 8.4v.
    >>> - I've tried it with and without the battery grip.
    >>> - I've tried it with and without a CF card installed, as well as with
    >>> and without a lens.
    >>> - The CF door is closed properly, and there doesn't appear to be any
    >>> damage to the interlock.
    >>>
    >>> I'll be taking it down to the local camera shop tomorrow to see if
    >>> they have any ideas (or can try a new battery, or something), and I
    >>> may be able to borrow a camera from a friend in time for the party,
    >>> but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciative!

    >> Page 33 of the manual :)
    >> Replace the CR2016 lithium battery

    > You've got to be kidding me!
    > If you've got juice in the main battery, why doesn't it warn you for that?

    Up to the point the CR2016 has gone (every 2 tot 3 years or so).
    It's the same as with the boot process of a PC, no CR2016 power, no boot.

    OldBoy, May 16, 2008
  4. N Guest

    "OldBoy" <> wrote in message

    > Up to the point the CR2016 has gone (every 2 tot 3 years or so).
    > It's the same as with the boot process of a PC, no CR2016 power, no boot.

    Not in my experience with PCs. MB battery goes flat and you lose the time,
    that's all.

    N, May 16, 2008
  5. OldBoy <> wrote:

    > It's the same as with the boot process of a PC, no CR2016 power, no boot.

    I have booted a lot of PCs with flat batteries. No problems
    there, just an unset hardware clock ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 16, 2008
  6. Guest

    On May 16, 2:24 am, "OldBoy" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hey everyone,

    > > I'm in a bit of a bind, and hope someone can help me out. I just
    > > turned my faithful Canon Digital Rebel (the original 300D) on...except
    > > it didn't turn on. I'm planning to take pictures at a big family party
    > > in...about 15 hours, so I'm looking for advice...hopefully someone
    > > else has seen this before and has a suggestion.

    > > The details:
    > > - When I turn the power switch to "On", nothing at all happens. No
    > > lights, nothing on the LCD.
    > > - It worked perfectly a week ago, and has been sitting in my camera
    > > bag since, completely undisturbed.
    > > - The camera's never given me any trouble in the past whatsoever; it's
    > > always worked perfectly.
    > > - I've tried it with two different batteries, both freshly charged. A
    > > voltmeter reads the batteries as 8.0v and 8.4v.
    > > - I've tried it with and without the battery grip.
    > > - I've tried it with and without a CF card installed, as well as with
    > > and without a lens.
    > > - The CF door is closed properly, and there doesn't appear to be any
    > > damage to the interlock.

    > > I'll be taking it down to the local camera shop tomorrow to see if
    > > they have any ideas (or can try a new battery, or something), and I
    > > may be able to borrow a camera from a friend in time for the party,
    > > but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciative!

    > Page 33 of the manual :)
    > Replace the CR2016 lithium battery

    Hmm, that seems plausible. The camera's the right age. I haven't had
    the "C bC" in the LCD panel (at least, not that I've noticed), but
    that doesn't mean anything.

    I didn't check the manual, but I did check Canon's support pages for
    "Camera will not power on or will not power on correctly", and their
    tips are:
    - Clean the battery contacts
    - Try a new battery
    - Send the camera for servicing

    No mention of the CR2016 :)

    I actually left the camera overnight, stuck a battery back in it this
    morning, and it now works perfectly. Of course, I don't trust it at -
    all- anymore. I'll see if I can replace the battery today, and if not,
    I'll cross my fingers and hope (and try to borrow a backup camera).

    Many thanks!

    - Darryl

    , May 16, 2008
  7. Walter Banks Guest

    wrote:

    > I actually left the camera overnight, stuck a battery back in it this
    > morning, and it now works perfectly. Of course, I don't trust it at -
    > all- anymore. I'll see if I can replace the battery today, and if not,
    > I'll cross my fingers and hope (and try to borrow a backup camera).

    You probably achieved a full reset. It still might be a good idea to
    check or replace the CR2016. This might be being used to retain
    some RAM needed for quick start up. I believe that the
    Rebel 300D is running Windows CE inside. The 350D is using an
    ARM processor and 300D may be as well.

    Walter..

    Walter Banks, May 16, 2008
  8. Walter Banks <> wrote:

    > some RAM needed for quick start up. I believe that the
    > Rebel 300D is running Windows CE inside. The 350D is using an
    > ARM processor and 300D may be as well.

    Why you think that the camera is running Windows CE?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 16, 2008
  9. Guest

    On May 16, 8:03 am, Walter Banks <> wrote:

    > You probably achieved a full reset. It still might be a good idea to
    > check or replace the CR2016. This might be being used to retain
    > some RAM needed for quick start up. I believe that the
    > Rebel 300D is running Windows CE inside. The 350D is using an
    > ARM processor and 300D may be as well.

    Well, I figured out part of the problem, anyway: I didn't know that
    the battery cover needed to be closed for the camera to function. I
    got the battery grip with the camera, and almost never take it off. So
    during some of my testing, I didn't have the battery door on the
    camera, which means it wouldn't have worked anyway.

    I'm beginning to suspect that the battery grip wasn't mounted right,
    so it wasn't engaging the battery cover interlock. The camera seems to
    be working fine now. I bought a replacement CR2016 anyway, because it
    was only $1.50.

    Thanks to all who responded!

    - Darryl

    , May 17, 2008
  10. Pete D Guest

    "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <> wrote in message
    > Walter Banks <> wrote:
    >
    >> some RAM needed for quick start up. I believe that the
    >> Rebel 300D is running Windows CE inside. The 350D is using an
    >> ARM processor and 300D may be as well.

    > Why you think that the camera is running Windows CE?
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    No way no how they would use WinCE, just would not need the features offered
    by CE, mind you in my GPS/SATNAV unit CE is excellent.

    Pete D, May 17, 2008
  11. Walter Banks Guest

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    > Walter Banks <> wrote:
    >
    > > some RAM needed for quick start up. I believe that the
    > > Rebel 300D is running Windows CE inside. The 350D is using an
    > > ARM processor and 300D may be as well.

    > Why you think that the camera is running Windows CE?

    The 350D that I have is and most of the Canon camera's
    are running Windows CE. I don't have first hand experience
    with the 300D.

    w..

    Walter Banks, May 17, 2008
  12. Pat Guest

    On May 17, 5:37 am, Walter Banks <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > > Walter Banks <> wrote:

    > > > some RAM needed for quick start up. I believe that the
    > > > Rebel 300D is running Windows CE inside. The 350D is using an
    > > > ARM processor and 300D may be as well.

    > > Why you think that the camera is running Windows CE?

    > The 350D that I have is and most of the Canon camera's
    > are running Windows CE. I don't have first hand experience
    > with the 300D.
    >
    > w..

    I don't know what version of Win it's running, but yes, it does run
    some version of Win. That's how the hacked it and gave it more
    functionality. IIRC, there is some info on the "Russian Operating
    System" that discussed the operating systym.

    Pat, May 17, 2008
  13. Ray Fischer Guest

    Pat <> wrote:
    >On May 17, 5:37 am, Walter Banks <> wrote:
    >> Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    >> > Why you think that the camera is running Windows CE?

    >> The 350D that I have is and most of the Canon camera's
    >> are running Windows CE. I don't have first hand experience
    >> with the 300D.
    >>
    >> w..

    >I don't know what version of Win it's running, but yes, it does run
    >some version of Win.

    Because...?

    > That's how the hacked it and gave it more
    >functionality.

    And you assume that it's not possible to hack anything else?

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, May 18, 2008
  14. Walter Banks <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    >> Walter Banks <> wrote:

    >> > I believe that the
    >> > Rebel 300D is running Windows CE inside. The 350D is using an
    >> > ARM processor and 300D may be as well.

    >> Why you think that the camera is running Windows CE?

    > The 350D that I have is and most of the Canon camera's
    > are running Windows CE.

    Aha. And you know this because the WinCE logo shows on every
    boot? Or because you can switch to the task manager by
    pressing all buttons simultaneously and there it says WinCD?
    Or because you actually programmed the 350D for Canon?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 19, 2008
  15. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Walter Banks <> wrote:

    > Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    >> Walter Banks <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > some RAM needed for quick start up. I believe that the
    >> > Rebel 300D is running Windows CE inside. The 350D is using an
    >> > ARM processor and 300D may be as well.

    >> Why you think that the camera is running Windows CE?

    > The 350D that I have is and most of the Canon camera's
    > are running Windows CE. I don't have first hand experience
    > with the 300D.

    What an extraordinarily stupid and ignorant design decision! And a
    very good reason to avoid cameras made by Canon.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, May 19, 2008
  16. Walter Banks Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:

    > > The 350D that I have is and most of the Canon camera's
    > > are running Windows CE. I don't have first hand experience
    > > with the 300D.

    > What an extraordinarily stupid and ignorant design decision! And a
    > very good reason to avoid cameras made by Canon.

    Why would that be? I am not baiting you this is a serious question.

    For a camera company in the photography business licensing
    an OS in a product that needs to be file compatible with PC's
    and MAC's that their customers use makes sense.

    There are lots of supported software tools out there to enable
    Window's development. From what I can see with most
    digital camera's bugs are application design and not OS related.

    w..

    Walter Banks, May 19, 2008
  17. Matt Ion Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    > Pat <> wrote:
    >>> The 350D that I have is and most of the Canon camera's
    >>> are running Windows CE. I don't have first hand experience
    >>> with the 300D.
    >>>
    >>> w..

    >> I don't know what version of Win it's running, but yes, it does run
    >> some version of Win.

    > Because...?
    >
    >> That's how the hacked it and gave it more
    >> functionality.

    > And you assume that it's not possible to hack anything else?

    If memory serves, when I was researching the "Russian hack" for my 300D,
    there was a discussion on a board somewhere that suggested the 10D and
    300D actually ran an embedded form of DOS (Datalight's ROM-DOS,
    probably, same as they used in many of their other digital cameras).

    I've been unable to find that exact thread again...

    Matt Ion, May 19, 2008
  18. Matt Ion Guest

    Walter Banks wrote:

    > Chris Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >>> The 350D that I have is and most of the Canon camera's
    >>> are running Windows CE. I don't have first hand experience
    >>> with the 300D.

    >> What an extraordinarily stupid and ignorant design decision! And a
    >> very good reason to avoid cameras made by Canon.

    > Why would that be? I am not baiting you this is a serious question.
    >
    > For a camera company in the photography business licensing
    > an OS in a product that needs to be file compatible with PC's
    > and MAC's that their customers use makes sense.

    File compatibility has nothing to do with the embedded OS used. The
    camera could run on any number of DOS implementations, MacOS, Linux (or
    any other Unix variant), or just about anything that supports FAT/FAT32.
    All that matters is the ability to read/write a FAT32-formatted flash
    card. It could have an embedded Commodore-64 and the user would never
    know the difference as long as there's FAT32 support.

    Matt Ion, May 19, 2008
  19. Walter Banks Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:

    > Walter Banks wrote:

    > >> What an extraordinarily stupid and ignorant design decision! And a
    > >> very good reason to avoid cameras made by Canon.

    > > Why would that be? I am not baiting you this is a serious question.
    > >
    > > For a camera company in the photography business licensing
    > > an OS in a product that needs to be file compatible with PC's
    > > and MAC's that their customers use makes sense.

    > File compatibility has nothing to do with the embedded OS used. The
    > camera could run on any number of DOS implementations, MacOS, Linux (or
    > any other Unix variant), or just about anything that supports FAT/FAT32.
    > All that matters is the ability to read/write a FAT32-formatted flash
    > card. It could have an embedded Commodore-64 and the user would never
    > know the difference as long as there's FAT32 support.

    Your point is well taken, but some of the file formats will probably need
    to be licensed a license that is part of OS. I am not sure when they started

    to use Window's variations in camera's as opposed to DOS or a propriety
    OS. It is a lot less development effort when the tools that being used are
    compatible with the target. My real point is Window's have a well supported
    set of tools and camera companies are not in the OS development and
    maintain business.

    The OS license and tools are a very small part of the development cost
    of Camera software. The development focus should be camera
    application code. I would like to see more open access to the camera
    functions especially some of the tools that the "Russian hack" provided
    in the form of programmable sequences.

    w..

    Walter Banks, May 19, 2008
  20. Matt Ion Guest

    Walter Banks wrote:

    > Matt Ion wrote:
    >
    >> Walter Banks wrote:

    >>> Why would that be? I am not baiting you this is a serious question.
    >>>
    >>> For a camera company in the photography business licensing
    >>> an OS in a product that needs to be file compatible with PC's
    >>> and MAC's that their customers use makes sense.

    >> File compatibility has nothing to do with the embedded OS used. The
    >> camera could run on any number of DOS implementations, MacOS, Linux (or
    >> any other Unix variant), or just about anything that supports FAT/FAT32.
    >> All that matters is the ability to read/write a FAT32-formatted flash
    >> card. It could have an embedded Commodore-64 and the user would never
    >> know the difference as long as there's FAT32 support.

    > Your point is well taken, but some of the file formats will probably need
    > to be licensed a license that is part of OS.

    Now wait a minute, are we talking file FORMATS, or file SYSTEMS?

    FAT/FAT32 are file SYSTEMS, and are widely supported by every modern
    OS., including open-source ones such as Linux. FAT is *not*
    Microsoft-proprietary, and I don't know to what extent FAT32 is
    controlled by M$, since it's just an extension of the FAT structure.

    > I am not sure when they started
    > to use Window's variations in camera's as opposed to DOS or a propriety
    > OS. It is a lot less development effort when the tools that being used are
    > compatible with the target.

    But that's my point: the OS used in the camera is completely irrelevant
    when it comes to compatibility with the OS on the target computer.

    > My real point is Window's have a well supported
    > set of tools and camera companies are not in the OS development and
    > maintain business.
    >
    > The OS license and tools are a very small part of the development cost
    > of Camera software. The development focus should be camera
    > application code. I would like to see more open access to the camera
    > functions especially some of the tools that the "Russian hack" provided
    > in the form of programmable sequences.

    That's an entirely different criteria for what OS is used in a camera,
    though. Manufacturers will use whatever dev kits they're comfortable
    with... or those whose licensing fit their budget... or whatever other
    business case they decide to apply. Compatibility with the end user's
    computer has no bearing on it, outside of the OS and dev kit of choice
    having support for a common file system.

    FAT is about the most universal, non-proprietary file system ever used,
    with its 2GB limit really being the only stumbling block; FAT32 gets
    around that limitation, and is almost as widely supported. Users with
    Macs, Linux, Windoze, and any other number of platforms will be able to
    read FAT/FAT32-formatted cards without a problem and it make absolutely
    NO difference what system was running on the system that wrote the cards.

    Matt Ion, May 20, 2008