    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Jenn
    =?Utf-8?B?SmVubg==?=, Jan 12, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmVubg==?=

    Ben Guest

    Firstly, your IT guy needs sacking! It's exactly this kind of incompetence
    that spreads viruses! :)

    Secondly, to assign the Desktop/Server an IP open control panel, go to
    network connection, select your LAN/Wireless connect and right click select
    properties in the properties dialogue box that comes up select TCP/IP double
    click or hit properties, then in the TCP/IP properties box select the radio
    button that says use the following IP address then enter an IP from your
    networks range finally click ok, then ok. Remember you need to be member of
    local admins group to do this.

    Finally, use a god firewall product like zone labs, or Symantec client
    firewall. If you can't afford to buy one, use the XP built in one if you
    have to, all you have to do is configure it to allow the correct protocols
    from the correct clients!
    Ben

    Ben, Jan 12, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmVubg==?=

    Lem Guest

    Jenn wrote:

    > I have a linksys wireless network setup for 3 laptops and 1 desktop. The
    > desktop has a Linksys wireless adapter on it. Currently, they are all set up
    > to be on the network without firewalls (horrible, I know). Way back when we
    > started a wireless network 2 years ago, an IT guy told us that we could not
    > have firewalls up because you would not be able to share files. I am pretty
    > certain that Windows added something in SP2 to fix this issue,but agian I am
    > not sure.
    >
    > So 1st, I need to set up my network with firewalls, I think...but I don't
    > know how to do this.
    >
    > 2nd, I need to enable the desktop to be a "server" so to speak for 1
    > software application. I know that I need to configure that computer to have
    > a designated IP address in order to do this, but I am not sure how to do this
    > either.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Jenn

    First of all, your Linksys wireless router provides you with firewall (or at
    least firewall-like) protection from the Internet. Although there certainly is
    no consensus in these newsgroups, there are more than a few experienced folks who
    take the position that you don't really need an additional software firewall if
    you are behind such a router. On the other hand, there are those who would
    strongly disagree with that position.

    In SP2, Win XP added the Windows Firewall (and more importantly, turned it on by
    default). WinXP sp1 had the "Windows Internet Connection Firewall," but it was
    turned off by default. Thus, you may actually be running with the firewall
    turned on. The major difference between Windows Firewall and commercial (if
    free) firewalls like ZoneAlarm is that WF only looks at traffic coming in to your
    system, rather than traffic going both in and out. The reason why some -- but
    not all -- folks think outbound firewall checking is necessary is to deal with
    the case where you may have installed a trojan horse or other malware, which is
    not recognized by your antivirus or anti-spyware apps, and which "phones home,"
    possibly sending who knows what of your private information to who knows who.

    Take a look here for more info about "Understanding Windows Firewall"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

    If you want to be able to share files among the computers on your LAN, you will
    have to check the "File and printer sharing" exception on WF on all of them.
    There are various other "Permissions" that you will also have to set, depending
    on whether you have XP Home or XP Pro. See http://www.ezlan.net/wshare.html and
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm [XPHome Simple
    File Sharing]

    Finally, I think that actually running an application that is installed on
    another computer on your network involves more than setting a static IP for that
    computer. A friend of mine does this regularly using Windows Remote Desktop. If
    you do set a static IP, make sure that it is (a) in the same subnet as the IP
    addresses assigned by your router, and (b) outside the range of addresses
    assigned. If I remember correctly, the default for Linksys wireless routers is
    192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.150. Same subnet means use a fixed IP address of
    the form 192.168.1.xxx. Outside the range means pick a number greater than 150
    and less than 255.
    Lem, Jan 12, 2006