    This is a newly reinstalled windows XP, my previous installation crashed
    recently.

    Thanks a million!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlyb24=?=, Jun 4, 2007

  2. First, you should direct this to the proper group:

    windows.xp.general

    Next, consider why your installation failed, the reason may be related to
    this issue - check the relevant temperatures on your system, check the
    flat-cables to the drive, clean the drive AND the CD.

    I would put the machine on a well lit table and carefully disconnect
    everything inside, memory and cards too, and then put it all back where it
    was, check your fans and look for excessive build-up of dust.

    If error messages pop up still, copy them verbatim and check your 'Event
    Viewer', it will usually be very helpful.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2007