HELP! poor DVD playback quality on television

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by David Brooks, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. David Brooks

    David Brooks Guest

    Hello All!

    I am attempting to produce a DVD disc to be played by a PAL dvd player
    set-top box which is connected to my Multi-System television. The raw
    footage was filmed using Panasonic MiniDV PalmCorder model PV-DC152D
    (NTSC). I am using Adobe Premier 6.5 with Adobe MPEG encoder 1.2
    (MainConcept) and DVD Architect 1.0d. My editing computer is a Dell
    P4-2.8/512MB/Firewire 1394 adapter running WindowsXP sp1.

    My problem is that after burning a muxed mpeg-2 stream and attempting
    to play back the DVD disc on my television using my LG set-top dvd
    player - most of the scenes, especially those with moderate camera
    movements, are shown pixilated.

    Please note the following:

    1. The mpeg file produced by Adobe MPEG encoder plays back perfectly
    on my computer when using InterVideo's WinDVD 5 player.

    2. The raw footage playback perfectly when connecting my camera
    directly to the TV

    3. The mpeg file plays back perfectly when previewing in "DVD
    Architect" ("Best" – quality mode) however, switching to "High"
    produces downgraded quality that is similar to what happens on my TV.

    4. I have encoded the AVI stream numerous times using different bit
    rates with no success in improving the video quality.

    Here the last settings that I used:

    Video settings:
    video stream type: DVD
    frame size: 720 x 576
    frame rate: 25.000
    aspect ratio: 4:3 Display
    bitrate: variable, avg 8.32, max 8.32

    Audio settings (PCM):
    frequency: 48.0 kHz

    Multiplexer settings:
    program stream type: DVD
    bitrate: variable, 10.08 Mbps maximum
    max file size: off

    DVD Architect is configured to "Override default bitrate: 9.800 Mbps"

    I thank anyone in advance for advice on how to overcome this VERY
    frustrating issue.

    Sincerely,

    David

    p.s

    Please CC me with your response.

    David Brooks, Dec 24, 2003

  2. David Brooks

    Impmon Guest

    "David Brooks" <> wrote in message
    [snip]
    > Multiplexer settings:
    > program stream type: DVD
    > bitrate: variable, 10.08 Mbps maximum
    > max file size: off
    >
    > DVD Architect is configured to "Override default bitrate: 9.800 Mbps"

    Maybe the bitrate is too high? Most commercial DVD are like 5-6 Mbit per
    sec.

    Impmon, Dec 24, 2003