    d/top. will this work or do i need to get an xp disk?and is there a way of
    getting one for free.
    thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me...
    richard, May 9, 2006

  2. richard

    Gordon Guest

    richard wrote:

    > i have an old pentium2 desktop running win98
    > i want to format the h/d and put xp on but have no xp disk.i have another
    > desktop with xp on but still no xp disk.i made a recovery disk for my xp
    > d/top. will this work or do i need to get an xp disk?and is there a way of
    > getting one for free.
    > thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me...

    I would be VERY suprised if your old Pentium 2 has the oomph required to run
    XP.......

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, May 9, 2006

  3. Gordon rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> i have an old pentium2 desktop running win98
    >> i want to format the h/d and put xp on but have no xp disk.i have
    >> another desktop with xp on but still no xp disk.i made a recovery
    >> disk for my xp d/top. will this work or do i need to get an xp
    >> disk?and is there a way of getting one for free.
    >> thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me...

    > I would be VERY suprised if your old Pentium 2 has the oomph required
    > to run XP.......

    It *might* run it if the OP has enough RAM, but you'd probably have to fire
    it up on Thursday in order to have it running by the weekend.
    :p

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things.
    The Old Sourdough, May 9, 2006
  4. richard

    Gordon Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > Gordon rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> i have an old pentium2 desktop running win98
    >>> i want to format the h/d and put xp on but have no xp disk.i have
    >>> another desktop with xp on but still no xp disk.i made a recovery
    >>> disk for my xp d/top. will this work or do i need to get an xp
    >>> disk?and is there a way of getting one for free.
    >>> thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me...

    >> I would be VERY suprised if your old Pentium 2 has the oomph required
    >> to run XP.......
    >>

    > It *might* run it if the OP has enough RAM, but you'd probably have to
    > fire it up on Thursday in order to have it running by the weekend.
    > :p

    ROTFL!

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, May 9, 2006
  5. richard

    Duane Arnold Guest

    richard wrote:
    > i have an old pentium2 desktop running win98
    > i want to format the h/d and put xp on but have no xp disk.i have another
    > desktop with xp on but still no xp disk.i made a recovery disk for my xp
    > d/top. will this work or do i need to get an xp disk?and is there a way of
    > getting one for free.
    > thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me...

    You should forget about doing this with XP, as you'll double-click on a
    desktop Icon at 8:00 am but it won't start the application until 8:00 pm.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, May 9, 2006
  6. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 06:08:11 -0500, The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > Gordon rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> i have an old pentium2 desktop running win98 i want to format the h/d
    >>> and put xp on but have no xp disk.i have another desktop with xp on but
    >>> still no xp disk.i made a recovery disk for my xp d/top. will this work
    >>> or do i need to get an xp disk?and is there a way of getting one for
    >>> free. thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me...

    >> I would be VERY suprised if your old Pentium 2 has the oomph required to
    >> run XP.......
    >>

    > It *might* run it if the OP has enough RAM, but you'd probably have to
    > fire it up on Thursday in order to have it running by the weekend.
    > :p

    I installed NT4 Terminal Server on a Compaq Prosignia 300 (Pentium, 120
    mhz 32 megs of ram, 4.7 gig Seagate Barracuda SCSI.) It took 5 minutes to
    boot into the login screen.

    Meat Plow, May 9, 2006
  7. richard

    Mark S. Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    >i have an old pentium2 desktop running win98
    > i want to format the h/d and put xp on but have no xp disk.i have another
    > desktop with xp on but still no xp disk.i made a recovery disk for my xp
    > d/top. will this work or do i need to get an xp disk?and is there a way of
    > getting one for free.
    > thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me...

    You will get an XP disk when you purchase a copy of Microsoft Windows XP.
    Mark S., May 9, 2006
  8. richard

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-09, richard <> wrote:
    > i have an old pentium2 desktop running win98
    > i want to format the h/d and put xp on but have no xp disk.i have another
    > desktop with xp on but still no xp disk.i made a recovery disk for my xp
    > d/top. will this work

    If you're careful and lucky, the recovery disc will work to get that
    particular machime running again if/when Windows screws up mightily. It
    will have little or no effect on any other machime.

    > or do i need to get an xp disk?

    If you want to install windows XP for th first time on that conmputer,
    then yes, you do need to get XP installation discs for it.

    > and is there a way of getting one for free.

    Ask Microsoft. The probable answer is "No".

    If you ask your local friendly software pirate, the answer will still be
    "No", but he may sell you whatever it is he passes off as Windows XP, for
    less than Microsoft charge for their genuine product. You are on your own
    if you try to install or use pirated software, and you should be prepared
    to take whatever consequences arise.

    > thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me...

    The P2 machine will struggle to run XP, even if you manage to get it
    installed. You're stuck with Windows 98 or 98SE on that one, unless you
    want to try some of the excellent Linux distros intended for old or
    low-powered computers, that will probably run nicely on it and which can
    be legally copied and given away free or at a low price. "Puppy Linux" or
    "Damn Small Linux" would be worth a try, for starters.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 9, 2006