HELP PLS! Using Partition Magic 2 Try 2 Install WinXP x64 on Top of XP 32

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by MadMax75th, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. MadMax75th

    MadMax75th Guest

    PLEASE HELP!! Trying for months & give up, retry again etc. OK, I have
    XP Home 32 originally installed on puter. I Used Partition Magic 8.0
    to try installing a 2nd OS (XPx64) on a newly created partition. First
    partition is 110 GBs my new partition is 30 GBs. Hard-drive 160 GBs. I
    follow the printed directions & I boot to new partition, it tells me its
    the wrong disk but when I press any key to boot from CD, all starts
    well. I get the blue setup screen & it starts installing the various
    drivers etc & finally gets to a place that informs me that "Windows
    will now restart" but it never does. It just sits there waiting to
    reboot or restart. I try restarting manually but it just re-installs
    drivers until it gets to "Windows will restart" again!! I am going
    nuts! I contacted Symantic Support but they said I have to have x64
    installed first to add XP32 but I have read here & been told that "NO,
    it's XP 32 first & then u can load a partition with XP 64." So Symantic
    is misinformed!
    My specs if it helps are:

    Board: ASUSTeK A8N-SLI DELUXE 1.XX
    AMD 4800+ Dual Core Processor
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 160.03 GB 89.88 GB free
    SONY DVD RW DW-D26A [CD-ROM drive]
    SONY DVD RW DW-D26A [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removable media [Floppy drive]
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    2816 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'A2' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'A3' has 1024 MB

    If you need any more info about anything, I will gladly comply. I am
    NOT very knowledgeable about computers so please be specific & basic
    about what I need to do to install this correctly.

    Thank you very much for your assistance!
    Max

    --
    MadMax75th
    MadMax75th's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=17511

    http://forums.techarena.in
    MadMax75th, Mar 23, 2007

  2. MadMax75th

    Theo Guest

    Re: HELP PLS! Using Partition Magic 2 Try 2 Install WinXP x64 onTop of XP 32

    Try just resizing your 32-bit partition down to the size you
    want, make sure that OS boots up and functions properly.
    Then boot from the Win x64 CD and create the partition from
    there. You will get a logical drive in an extended
    partition, but x64 works fine in that situation. Although I
    did everything from a clean start, I have XP 32-bit on the
    1st 1/2 half as C: on my primary drive and Win x64 ended up
    as E: on the 2nd 1/2 half. I have no problems with either
    system.

    Theo, Mar 23, 2007

  3. MadMax75th

    Guest

    On Mar 23, 7:31 am, MadMax75th <>
    wrote:
    > PLEASE HELP!! Trying for months & give up, retry again etc. OK, I have
    > XP Home 32 originally installed on puter. I Used Partition Magic 8.0
    > to try installing a 2nd OS (XPx64) on a newly created partition. First
    > partition is 110 GBs my new partition is 30 GBs. Hard-drive 160 GBs. I
    > follow the printed directions & I boot to new partition, it tells me its
    > the wrong disk but when I press any key to boot from CD, all starts
    > well. I get the blue setup screen & it starts installing the various
    > drivers etc & finally gets to a place that informs me that "Windows
    > will now restart" but it never does. It just sits there waiting to
    > reboot or restart. I try restarting manually but it just re-installs
    > drivers until it gets to "Windows will restart" again!! I am going
    > nuts! I contacted Symantic Support but they said I have to have x64
    > installed first to add XP32 but I have read here & been told that "NO,
    > it's XP 32 first & then u can load a partition with XP 64." So Symantic
    > is misinformed!
    > My specs if it helps are:
    >
    > Board: ASUSTeK A8N-SLI DELUXE 1.XX
    > AMD 4800+ Dual Core Processor
    > c: (NTFS on drive 0) 160.03 GB 89.88 GB free
    > SONY DVD RW DW-D26A [CD-ROM drive]
    > SONY DVD RW DW-D26A [CD-ROM drive]
    > 3.5" format removable media [Floppy drive]
    > Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    > 2816 Megabytes Installed Memory
    > Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
    > Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB
    > Slot 'A2' has 1024 MB
    > Slot 'A3' has 1024 MB
    >
    > If you need any more info about anything, I will gladly comply. I am
    > NOT very knowledgeable about computers so please be specific & basic
    > about what I need to do to install this correctly.
    >
    > Thank you very much for your assistance!
    > Max
    >
    > --
    > MadMax75th
    > MadMax75th's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=17511
    > View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=711850
    >
    > http://forums.techarena.in

    I prefer "partition commander". Just boot from the partition commander
    CDROM. It has the features similar to Partition Magic, i.e. you set it
    up in windows then it boots your PC, but I find it simpler just to
    load the CDROM and start from there.

    I had Partition Magic crash under X64.
    , Mar 23, 2007
  4. MadMax75th

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I think Theo's suggestions are sound; however, I would add a couple of
    PSs.

    1. If you boot to your 32 bit system that now runs on the box, go to
    Disk Management and reassign the CD or DVD device lower in the alphabet
    (I use U and V), the new drive letter will be D when you have finished
    creating it and installing XP 64.

    2. You can create the partition for the 64 bit system from PM. I would
    boot from the floppies, shrink the present partition as needed or
    desired and then reboot to assure everything is working. Then I would
    create an extended partition with an NTFS-formatted logical drive.

    Now you can install the XP 64 system.

    You might prefer Theo's plan as being simpler.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Tom Ferguson, Mar 23, 2007
  5. MadMax75th

    MadMax75th Guest

    Re: STOP MAKING 32bit VISTA

    Tom Ferguson;2691629 Wrote:
> [...]

    > > it's XP 32 first & then u can load a partition with XP 64." So
    > > Symantic
    > > is misinformed!
    > > My specs if it helps are:
    > >
    > > Board: ASUSTeK A8N-SLI DELUXE 1.XX
    > > AMD 4800+ Dual Core Processor
    > > c: (NTFS on drive 0) 160.03 GB 89.88 GB free
    > > SONY DVD RW DW-D26A [CD-ROM drive]
    > > SONY DVD RW DW-D26A [CD-ROM drive]
    > > 3.5" format removable media [Floppy drive]
    > > Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    > > 2816 Megabytes Installed Memory
    > > Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
    > > Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB
    > > Slot 'A2' has 1024 MB
    > > Slot 'A3' has 1024 MB
    > >
    > > If you need any more info about anything, I will gladly comply. I am
    > > NOT very knowledgeable about computers so please be specific & basic
    > > about what I need to do to install this correctly.
    > >
    > > Thank you very much for your assistance!

    Thank you very much for the advice. If I understand it, you are
    suggesting I reduce the size of the frst partition in oreder to enlarge
    the second. Unfortunately, my first partition is getting pretty full,
    only about 30 GBs unused & I am nervous about having a semi full
    partition. However, I will try what y'all suggest, lord knows my way
    has not worked. I believe partition magic has the ability to reasign
    drive letters but I have never used it b4.

    Does anyone have any idea why my x64 is not restarting itself?
    Thank you so very much for the replies.
    Max
    PS- somehow, this got sent to a string I had made a comment on. I wil
    copy this to the original string or request I made & hopefully that
    will make replies less confusing.

    --
    View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=709434

    http://forums.techarena.in
    MadMax75th, Mar 24, 2007
  6. MadMax75th

    Bill Guest

    Are you also using BootMagic to manage your boots. The following may help
    if you are. It was posted during the build 5270 timeframe on Vista. I'm
    still using this method but you must have a floppy drive that you can boot
    from. My versions of PM/BM are the PowerQuest versions, I beta tested for
    them for a number of years, but the Symantec versions are identical except
    for the branding. Also, make sure you have either the ver 8.01/8.02 patch
    installed and have created the boot floppies from both BM/PM AFTER the patch
    is installed. The patch you need depends on the ver you have installed.
    The 8.01/2 patches are available at

    ftp://updates:/PartitionMagic

    On this page you will see two folders. The next step will depend on the
    version of PartitionMagic you have installed.

    --If you have PartitionMagic 8.01, double-click on the folder labeled PM801,
    then download the file ENPM801_H1.ZIP to your desktop.
    --If you have PartitionMagic 8.02, double-click on the folder labeled PM802,
    then download the file ENPM802_H1.ZIP to your desktop.

    The downloaded file is password protected. To extract its contents, use the
    password "pm1513" (without the quotation marks.)

    To install the patch, follow the instructions in the text file "PM 1513 -
    Readme file.txt," which is included in download file.

    BullDawg

    Bill, Mar 24, 2007
  7. MadMax75th

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Re: STOP MAKING 32bit VISTA

    If your drive is getting that full, it is probably a good idea to add a
    second hard drive and install XP 64 to that.

    Which boot manager are you using?

    Tom Ferguson, Mar 24, 2007
  8. MadMax75th

    bean123

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    i like EASEUS Partition Manager better. It has the similar functions with Partition Magic, and it works well on my computer.:driver:
    bean123, Sep 2, 2008