Help PLS: NewBie--VB-6 or jumpstart to VB.Net??!

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by SM, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. SM

    SM Guest

    Dear Newsgroup,

    Good day!

    Please don't be pissed.. I'm a newbie.. even though I've been in the industry for 3years now!(?)

    Just like to get advise.

    I'm currently planning to have a month-long self-study on VB-6..and progress on advancement...
    I got background already, though I haven't practiced programming since it not much necessary for my current work.
    But I would love to improve my programming skills since I think this is the only way to move UP!!!

    Please advise, do I need to be an advance VB-6 programmer or I should jump-start on VB.Net?
    A friend informed me that the program code of VB-6 and VB.Net is totally different.

    I would really love to update myself and so far improved more on my programming skills specially on databases.

    Either ways, VB-6 or VB.Net ... what's the best book to invest and study with...
    Currently, I'm searching Amit Kalani books round the bookstores here in our place .. but so far no luck at all...

    Hope anyone here in can advise me...

    Appreciate your immediate reply...

    Thank you very much!

    --
    Best regards,

    Shiela

    SM, Mar 28, 2005

  2. SM

    Saga Guest

    Please do not multipost, if absolutely necessary, then cross post.

    Don't know the difference? Ask - I'll post reply.

    Saga

    Saga, Mar 28, 2005

  3. SM

    Guest Guest

    If you are wanting to learn a language, and have no strong preference between VB6 and VB.NET, then it would seem to me that VB.NET would be the best choice, since that is the most recent version. However, it also depends on what tool is used in the organization for which you wish to move up in. If you love database programming, then perhaps T-SQL would also be a better fit. There is a lot of demand for SQL Server developers.

    Guest, Mar 28, 2005
  4. SM

    emr Guest

    C#

    emr, Mar 28, 2005
  5. SM

    FYI-Geek101 Guest

    I also recommend the following microsoft press books for
    training.
    Microsoft Press Books About Microsoft Products and
    Technologies at
    NOTE: These press books can be acquired cheaper at
    http://www.ebay.com.

    An excellent compliment to your training is to
    use the free Microsoft Skills Assessments at
    and its always free.

    VERY IMPORTANT:
    Industry use these assessments to measure your skill sets,
    so completing them successfully is in your best interest.

    If you need help, you can also get free detailed Q&A
    support for skills assessments at
    http://disnetinc.com/

    Also:
    To support training get "101 Visual Basic and C# Code
    Samples" at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/samples/default.
    aspx

    FYI-Geek101