    nothing looks wrong.

    I'm not understanding what has happened that UNC is being blocked locally on
    this Server 2003 PC. What gives?

    Keith Chilton, Jul 11, 2007

  2. Keith Chilton

    John R Guest

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I can not figure out why on a Windows Server 2003 PC that I can run a
    >program using the local path ... C:/Programs/Lexstar.exe
    > but I can NOT run it using UNC //MyServerName/Programs/Lexstar.exe
    >
    > The weird thing is other PCs can access this program over the network, but
    > I can not access it from the console using the UNC like I said.
    > My shared and NTFS permissions look fine. I've looked at them a ton now
    > and nothing looks wrong.
    >
    > I'm not understanding what has happened that UNC is being blocked locally
    > on this Server 2003 PC. What gives?

    Assuming that the "C:\Programs" folder is shared using the share name
    "Programs", and that the netbios name "MyServerName" resolves correctly,
    there should be nothing stopping it from working.

    If you are using the UNC, you must have both NTFS permissions for
    Read+Execute, and you must have Share permissions for Change. (Be certain
    you don't have any 'deny' situations in any of your permissions).

    What exactly is the error message you receive when you type in the UNC path?
    Can you open the UNC in an explorer window and see the executable?

    Try mapping a drive letter to the "Programs" share and see if that works...

    C:>\ net use M: \\MyServerName\Programs
    C:> M:\Lexstar.exe

    John R

    John R, Jul 11, 2007

  3. Keith Chilton

    > Here are some screenshots of the situation... The error screenshot, The
    > shortcut I'm trying to use via UNC and then me accessing this folder via
    > UNC
    > and the console (or hard drive. it's the H drive I know.. long story)
    >
    > I made up the paths and names in the original post for security issues. I
    > don't think it's an issue though really now. (The Imagestar2006 folder is
    > real shared folder and prowin32.exe is the real file i'm having problems
    > with, not Lexstar.exe) The user account logged in is a member of Data
    > Processing and has FULL CONTROL over this folder as shown by "security
    > settings.JPG")
    >
    > Any help is appreciated. I tried mapping it. That didn't help.
    > --

    Looking at the UNC jpg file that you sent, once you can actually view that
    executable, what happens when you just double click on prowin32.exe ? I am
    assuming you will get the same error that you don't have permission.

    Now, looking at the security settings jpg, click on the 'sharing' tab, and
    click on the permissions button. Do you have permission through there? If
    you are accessing it using the unc, you must have both share permissions and
    ntfs permissions.

    John R

    John R, Jul 11, 2007
  4. "keith chilton" <> wrote in news:Okp0zB8wHHA.4612
    @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

    > UNC screenshot

    Check your windows firewall settings. Often this can cause seeming
    inexplicable behavior like this.

    Red Swingline Stapler, Jul 11, 2007
  5. There is no firewall on on this machine.. It is disabled by group policy.

    It has the same error when you click the prowin32.exe file using UNC...

    The sharing tab has the Everyone Group with full control.....I always have
    Everyone full control and then use NTFS to control permissions for users...

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
    and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
    my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
    representative independent of this message. All Securities are offered
    through Money Concepts Capital Corp., 7828 East 88th Street, Indianapolis,
    Indiana 46256, 317-841-0370. Member NASD/SIPC. Not FDIC Insured, No Bank
    Guarantees, May Lose Value.

    keith chilton, Jul 11, 2007
  6. Keith Chilton

    > There is no firewall on on this machine.. It is disabled by group policy.
    >
    > It has the same error when you click the prowin32.exe file using UNC...
    >
    > The sharing tab has the Everyone Group with full control.....I always have
    > Everyone full control and then use NTFS to control permissions for
    > users...

    I tried it here on both 2003 and XP and had no problems. Can you do this on
    other machines on your network or is this machine the only one? Does it
    work if you log on as a domain admin?

    The only other thing I would recommend is that you disable IPv6 if you have
    it enabled. I've seen other file access issues when IPv6 is enabled and you
    access local resources via UNC, (although they were corruption issues when
    copying files, not permission issues accessing it).

    John R

    John R, Jul 11, 2007
  7. Add Remove Programs -> Windows Componenents:

    Remove the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration

    MG

    Mostly Gizzards, Jul 11, 2007
  8. I can't do this on other machines, this is our application server pc for
    this program. I changed group membership to domain admin. Error. I don't
    think i have IPv6 on this machine. I checked the LAN properties box and it
    just has TCP/IP there.. v6 will show up separately in there (I think) The
    only other thing I know to tell you that I haven't is I did update all the
    way to Service Pack 2 and this is 2003 server standard edition. Maybe SP2 is
    at fault and this will be fixed in the future?

    This is crazy. Why do I get the weird stuff? I dont want it. It just comes
    to me! Well off to the event logs to see if I can figure anything
    out...........................

    thanks John. If you have any other ideas let me know

    keith chilton, Jul 11, 2007
  9. Mostly Gizzards is the MAN!

    I checked out the IE Sec Config and added that path to my trusted sites
    list.... It worked! Makes perfect sense now... It wasnt a trusted site on
    the intranet..

    Thanks for all the help guys

    keith chilton, Jul 11, 2007
  10. Keith Chilton

    > Mostly Gizzards is the MAN!
    >
    > Makes perfect sense now

    It always does once you find the right answer.
    That's what I love most about this field.

    (Files this one away under things to watch for)

    John R

    John R, Jul 11, 2007
  11. I R glad to help.

    MG