    dumb question correct?
    Hmmmm!

    Thankyou for any help.
    mrhangster, Sep 19, 2008

  2. 1. Try to reset wireless router.
    2. Try to use windows WZC.

    Or check this search result.
    Can't access the Internet after a ...
    Try to reset the router to the factory default and re-configure it.
    .... After that happened, I discovered that I could access the server, ...
    www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=777&view=previous&sid=20ac938c197163a0da3467f0ada6658c

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Sep 19, 2008

  3. mrhangster

    Pavel A. Guest

    Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:

    > 2. Try to use windows WZC.

    In this case, probably OP should stay with
    the Lenovo software (Thinkvantage). It is not worse than WZC,
    and contains vendor's plugin for all wi-fi adapters they install.

    Probably fixing the router will be enough.

    Regards,
    --pa

    Pavel A., Sep 19, 2008
  4. mrhangster

    mrhangster Guest

    Thankyou to both Robert & Pavel for the come back.
    I disconnected the cable modem and router and reset them. I have gone into
    the router and reset to factory settings.
    I'm getting good signal from the radio now. However all the connection does
    is "acquiring network address" . In the thinkvantage software I have keyed
    in the ip address, submask, and gateway address. My cable company says set
    to "obtain ip address automatically" that doesn't work either. I'm lost.
    My encryption on the laptop matchs the encryption in the router. I have
    another laptop and 2-other desktops on this wireless network and they work
    just fine. Unbelievable.

    mrhangster, Sep 20, 2008
  5. Hi
    Try first without Encryption.
    Maybe these pages can further Help.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 20, 2008
  6. mrhangster

    mrhangster Guest

    > Hi
    > Try first without Encryption.
    > Maybe these pages can further Help.
    > My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "mrhangster" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thankyou to both Robert & Pavel for the come back.
    >> I disconnected the cable modem and router and reset them. I have gone
    >> into the router and reset to factory settings.
    >> I'm getting good signal from the radio now. However all the connection
    >> does is "acquiring network address" . In the thinkvantage software I
    >> have keyed in the ip address, submask, and gateway address. My cable
    >> company says set to "obtain ip address automatically" that doesn't work
    >> either. I'm lost. My encryption on the laptop matchs the encryption in
    >> the router. I have another laptop and 2-other desktops on this wireless
    >> network and they work just fine. Unbelievable.
    >>

    >> "Pavel A." <> wrote in message

    >>> In this case, probably OP should stay with
    >>> the Lenovo software (Thinkvantage). It is not worse than WZC,
    >>> and contains vendor's plugin for all wi-fi adapters they install.
    >>>
    >>> Probably fixing the router will be enough.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> --pa

    thankyou for all the links Jack. Surely I can figure this out.
    mrhangster, Sep 20, 2008
  7. mrhangster

    mrhangster Guest

    "mrhangster" <> wrote in message

    >> Hi
    >> Try first without Encryption.
    >> Maybe these pages can further Help.
    >> My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "mrhangster" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Thankyou to both Robert & Pavel for the come back.
    >>> I disconnected the cable modem and router and reset them. I have gone
    >>> into the router and reset to factory settings.
    >>> I'm getting good signal from the radio now. However all the connection
    >>> does is "acquiring network address" . In the thinkvantage software I
    >>> have keyed in the ip address, submask, and gateway address. My cable
    >>> company says set to "obtain ip address automatically" that doesn't work
    >>> either. I'm lost. My encryption on the laptop matchs the encryption in
    >>> the router. I have another laptop and 2-other desktops on this wireless
    >>> network and they work just fine. Unbelievable.
    >>>

    >>> "Pavel A." <> wrote in message

    > thankyou for all the links Jack. Surely I can figure this out.

    Well Jack I tried removing the encryption from the router and the laptop
    connection--yes it worked. My wife is surfing again. However when I chg
    back to the WEP encryption --no workee. Really strange. So I'm working on
    that problem now. You sure gave me a bunch of links with a ton of info.
    Thankyou again.
    mrhangster, Sep 20, 2008
  8. Hi
    Try something else (Not WEP).
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 21, 2008
  9. mrhangster

    mrhangster Guest

    > Hi
    > Try something else (Not WEP).
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    > possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max .
    > of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
    > can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace
    > the device with a better one.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "mrhangster" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "mrhangster" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> wrote in message

    >>> thankyou for all the links Jack. Surely I can figure this out.

    >> Well Jack I tried removing the encryption from the router and the laptop
    >> connection--yes it worked. My wife is surfing again. However when I chg
    >> back to the WEP encryption --no workee. Really strange. So I'm working
    >> on that problem now. You sure gave me a bunch of links with a ton of
    >> info. Thankyou again.

    well Jack that did not work. My configuration is 1-desktop wireless to the
    network, 1-laptop wireless to the network, another desktop that is not
    wireless that is connected to the router and modem.

    And this thinkpad laptop I am having this trouble with. The only way I can
    connect to the network with it is to disable the encryption on the router.
    And then I have to of course disable encryption on all the other machines
    also or they won't connect.

    So my network is open unsecured. I've got neighbors all around me with
    severl encrypted wireless networks. I have even chged the channel on mine
    router to a number that the rest of them are not using.

    Anyway thanks for the tips. I'll go thru all those links you sent me.
    mrhangster, Sep 21, 2008
  10. mrhangster

    James Egan Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:59:35 -0400, "mrhangster"
    <> wrote:

    >well Jack that did not work. My configuration is 1-desktop wireless to the
    >network, 1-laptop wireless to the network, another desktop that is not
    >wireless that is connected to the router and modem.

    You will be advised to persist with WPA or WPA2 rather that WEP.

    Apart from more secure encryption, the key exchange and authentication
    are much more user friendly (no entering hex codes etc).

    If you choose WPA-PSK and enter the same pre-shared key on all the
    equipment, you will also have to choose whether the use AES or TKIP
    and ensure this is the same on all the equipment too. Some equipment
    might only have an option for TKIP in which case the decision has been
    made for you but you still have to match these settings on all the
    pc's and router.

    Also ensure IEEE 802.1x authentication is disabled.

    Jim.
    James Egan, Sep 21, 2008
  11. mrhangster

    Pavel A. Guest

    Not sure if this is relevant in this case -
    Someone posted recently about a similar security config issue,
    IIRC this was because of reverted WPA2 patch in XP SP2 or SP3.
    After restoring this patch the problem was solved.

    What SP you have? Have you tried system restore or uninstall some KB
    updates?

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 21, 2008
  12. mrhangster

    mrhangster Guest

    Jack, Pavel--I have xp home sp3 on all machines. I know this is a stupid
    question but I must--How do I disable this thinkvantage software? I have
    spent all morning on this. I have learned though I can not connect to my
    router with anything but just ole wep 64 bit encryption. My wireless
    desktop in our other bedroom does not offer the wpa encryption. No doubt I
    will have to update the card or get a new one. But like before, I can get to
    the router with all machines except this thinkpad. I want to just use the
    windows control thing instead of this thinkvantage access connections
    software.

    Thankyou for your continued support and patience.

    mrhangster, Sep 21, 2008
  13. mrhangster

    Pavel A. Guest

    Tried to get Lenovo tech. support?

    Forum: http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads

    Phone:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4HWSE3

    --pa

    Pavel A., Sep 21, 2008
  14. mrhangster

    mrhangster Guest

    No Pavel I have not--didn't know there was such a thing--thankyou for the
    link.

    I'll give it a try instead of bugging you guys.
    I just disabled encryption on the router and all 3-machines. The network is
    not secure but I can connect to the internet on all of them now. I'll get
    there sooner or later.

    What is the biggest risk in having an unsecured network? I do have windows
    firewall enabled.

    mrhangster, Sep 22, 2008
  15. mrhangster

    James Egan Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:30:38 -0400, "mrhangster"
    <> wrote:

    > My wireless
    >desktop in our other bedroom does not offer the wpa encryption. No doubt I
    >will have to update the card or get a new one.

    Not necessarily.

    An updated driver from the manufacturer's website will usually add
    this functionality if it isn't already present.

    Jim.
    James Egan, Sep 22, 2008
  16. mrhangster

    mrhangster Guest

    "James Egan" <> wrote in message

    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:30:38 -0400, "mrhangster"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> My wireless
    >>desktop in our other bedroom does not offer the wpa encryption. No doubt
    >>will have to update the card or get a new one.

    > Not necessarily.
    >
    > An updated driver from the manufacturer's website will usually add
    > this functionality if it isn't already present.
    >

    > Jim.

    Thankyou Jim--I'll sure give that a try. Looks like the general consensus
    here is that "Wep" just doesn't get it.
    mrhangster, Sep 22, 2008