    where from?

    Many thanks

    Sean

    Sean, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Hi Sean,

    If you go the IT pro's way, MCSE is the top certification you'll get from MSFT. You started with MCP and progress to MCSA before hitting MCSE. Once you're MCSE or MCSA, you might want to spcialize in either messaging or security.

    To learn more about MSFT certifications go to the following link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp
    You should be able to find study materials here as well.

    Hope this help.

    Bobby

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnk=?=, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Sean

    Sean Guest

    Thanks

    Hi Bobby,

    Thanks for the advice, having looked trough the site I
    have chosen the one I would like to & seeing I work in
    networks & have done for nearly 4 years its the
    Preparation Guide for Exam 70-221
    Designing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure

    I have identified this as being close to what I do but
    also giving me a chance to broaden my horizon.

    I look forward to reading your reply & what thoughts you
    have on this.

    Many thanks

    Sean

    Sean, Jul 7, 2004
  4. RE: Thanks

    Hi Sean,

    Basically there are 2 approaches in planning for certification path. The first one is to follow a very specific path. If MCSE is what you are after, then MCSE is what you will be getting. You will not want anything to distort your focus. All exams will be focus solely on MCSE alone.

    However, if you want a broader approach, then you will work towards something smaller before going after the ultimate one. In other words, if MCSE is your ultimate goal, instead of working to get it quick, you will work your way up from something smaller. From MCP, you'll aim for MCSA and then maybe specialization in MCSA. Then from MCSA specialization, you will work your way up to MCSE.

    So these approaches bring us back to some very basic questions. Is this certifiction leans more on the learning process or strickly getting your skills certified? If it is a learning process then the broader approach is more advisable. If you just want to certify your skills, then focus solely on the certification you have in mind.

    Do you have the luxury of time? If time is not a problem, then a broader approach should be okay. You will definately learn a lot more along the way and should be better equiped. However if you need the certification qucikly or badly due to career openings, promotions, etc... then focus solely on the certification that you are after.

    Looking at your choice of 70-221, this is a MCSE exam. MCSA does not include this exam. So if you are working only towards MCSE, then it should be okay. You have also made a good choice of starting with something you are more familiar with. It should be easier to make it through the MCP exam with something that are familiar than something that is not. You will be more motivated to move on when you get through the first exam.

    Plan you certification path by focusing on what you want to achieve, whether you are focusing on your current job or are working on something for the near future. Put into considerations on things like time, finances and appropriateness.

    Hope this help.

    Bobby

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnk=?=, Jul 8, 2004
  5. RE: Thanks

    Hi Sean,

    If you want a learning process in your certification path, then plan your exams to gather as many certs as possible. This is a good motivation though not a necessity. If you are only looking to certified you skills then don't waste time on 'extra' exams. Focus solely to reach your certification of choice in the shortest possible way.

    Looking at your choice of 70-221, this is strickly a MCSE exam. You will not be able to use this exam in your MCSA track. If you have your eyes only on MCSE then MCSA is not important. Anyway MCSE is the higher cert compare to MCSA.

    You have also made a good choice by going for something that you are familiar with. Your confidence and motivation will definately go up if you are able to make it through the first exam quicker. Good luck.

    Hope this help.

    Bobby

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnk=?=, Jul 8, 2004