help please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by eugene, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. eugene

    eugene Guest

    hi. I wonder can anybody help me. I am using OE but have not been able to
    send mail for the past month or so. I get the following error message;

    The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
    e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was ''.
    Subject 'x', Account: '', Server:
    'mail.btopenworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication
    required - Your email could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple
    change to your email (known as SMTP authentication). For advice visit
    www.btyahoo.com/smtp or call 0800 328 9968', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
    Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

    This used to happen way back but I cannot remember how it was fixed. I have
    a notion that I took out some sort of subscription but as my credit card was
    stolen during the summer, it was cancelled so if I was paying a monthly fee,
    it hasn't been paid. However, I thought that OE was completely free of
    charge. Please, can anybody tell me how to fix this as I have an urgent
    e-mail to send someone.

    Would I be better advised to switch to HotMail? If so, can I keep my current
    mail addresses?

    thanks
    eugene, Oct 4, 2006

  2. eugene

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:03:09 +0100, eugene Has Frothed:

    > hi. I wonder can anybody help me. I am using OE but have not been able to
    > send mail for the past month or so. I get the following error message;
    >
    > The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
    > e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was
    > ''. Subject 'x', Account:
    > '', Server: 'mail.btopenworld.com', Protocol:
    > SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - Your email could not
    > be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your email (known as
    > SMTP authentication). For advice visit www.btyahoo.com/smtp or call 0800
    > 328 9968', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number:
    > 0x800CCC78
    >
    > This used to happen way back but I cannot remember how it was fixed. I
    > have a notion that I took out some sort of subscription but as my credit
    > card was stolen during the summer, it was cancelled so if I was paying a
    > monthly fee, it hasn't been paid. However, I thought that OE was
    > completely free of charge. Please, can anybody tell me how to fix this as
    > I have an urgent e-mail to send someone.
    >
    > Would I be better advised to switch to HotMail? If so, can I keep my
    > current mail addresses?
    >
    > thanks

    Send me some email and I'll help.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Oct 4, 2006

  3. eugene

    Gordon Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in message
    > hi. I wonder can anybody help me. I am using OE but have not been able to
    > send mail for the past month or so. I get the following error message;
    >
    > The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
    > e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was
    > ''. Subject 'x', Account:
    > '', Server: 'mail.btopenworld.com', Protocol:
    > SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - Your email could not
    > be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your email (known as
    > SMTP authentication). For advice visit www.btyahoo.com/smtp or call 0800
    > 328 9968', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number:
    > 0x800CCC78
    >
    > This used to happen way back but I cannot remember how it was fixed. I
    > have a notion that I took out some sort of subscription but as my credit
    > card was stolen during the summer, it was cancelled so if I was paying a
    > monthly fee, it hasn't been paid. However, I thought that OE was
    > completely free of charge. Please, can anybody tell me how to fix this as
    > I have an urgent e-mail to send someone.
    >
    > Would I be better advised to switch to HotMail? If so, can I keep my
    > current mail addresses?
    >
    > thanks

    the error message tells you all - you are obviously trying to send using the
    ntlworld smtp server while connected to the internet through BT Yahoo.
    Either authenticate the NTLworld smtp server in your email client, or
    replace it with that of BT Yahoo.
    Gordon, Oct 4, 2006
  4. eugene wrote:

    > hi. I wonder can anybody help me. I am using OE but have not been able
    > to send mail for the past month or so. I get the following error
    > message;

    Why did you wait a month?

    > The message could not be sent because the server rejected the
    > sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was
    > ''. Subject 'x', Account:
    > '', Server: 'mail.btopenworld.com', Protocol:
    > SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - Your email
    > could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your
    > email (known as SMTP authentication). For advice visit
    > www.btyahoo.com/smtp or call 0800 328 9968', Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
    > No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

    Did you visit the supplied link in your error message?

    http://www.btyahoo.com/smtp

    ...which seems to give you the answer. There is a button on that page to
    "install software". Personally, I would not let it do that; I would
    change the setting myself. Also, I don't use Outlook Distress.

    > This used to happen way back but I cannot remember how it was fixed.
    > I have a notion that I took out some sort of subscription but as my
    > credit card was stolen during the summer, it was cancelled so if I
    > was paying a monthly fee, it hasn't been paid. However, I thought
    > that OE was completely free of charge. Please, can anybody tell me
    > how to fix this as I have an urgent e-mail to send someone.

    Apparently, this has nothing to do with how you pay for your account.
    Read the link.

    > Would I be better advised to switch to HotMail?

    It is always good to have a throw-away address, *in addition* to your
    ISP address(es).

    > If so, can I keep my current mail addresses?

    Sure, if you don't give up the btopenworld account.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 4, 2006
  5. eugene

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-10-04, eugene <> wrote:
    > hi. I wonder can anybody help me. I am using OE but have not been able to
    > send mail for the past month or so. I get the following error message;
    >
    > The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
    > e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was ''.
    > Subject 'x', Account: '', Server:
    > 'mail.btopenworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication
    > required - Your email could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple
    > change to your email (known as SMTP authentication). For advice visit
    > www.btyahoo.com/smtp or call 0800 328 9968', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
    > Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

    Can you see the web-site address in amongst all that?
    <http://www.btyahoo.com/smtp>. There is an explanation on that page, and
    instructions, and even a button to click and make it happen automatically
    with a bit of luck.

    > This used to happen way back but I cannot remember how it was fixed. I have
    > a notion that I took out some sort of subscription but as my credit card was
    > stolen during the summer, it was cancelled so if I was paying a monthly fee,
    > it hasn't been paid.

    You may have a paid-in-advance ISP account with BT Openworld (or BT Yahoo!
    as it now is); that seems to be the mail server you are trying to use, and
    is also the internet account you used for posting your question here. That
    apparently has /not/ been cancelled, or you wouldn't be seeing this. So I
    don't think your credit card has anything to do with it; just the change
    in the settings required for your email program.

    > However, I thought that OE was completely free of
    > charge. Please, can anybody tell me how to fix this as I have an urgent
    > e-mail to send someone.

    You do know that you can send and receive emails from the BT Openworld (or
    as it now is, BT Yahoo!) web site, don't you, as well as from your email
    program?

    "Outlook Express" is an email (and newsgroups) program. It is "free" in
    the sense that it comes as part of Windows, which you probably paid for as
    part of the price for your computer. That has nothing to do with your
    email service; you can use any email service with any email program, more
    or less - as long as you pay for anything that needs paying for. Your BT
    Openworld email service is paid for as part of your ISP service from BT
    Yahoo, in whatever way you pay for that. You just need to set up the
    email program correctly. The settings required have recently changed, to
    improve 'security'.

    Go to the web page the error message tells you to go to, or call the
    telephone number also mentioned.

    > Would I be better advised to switch to HotMail?

    Probably not. You would have to set that up too. Unless you want an
    additional email address, seperate from those you get from your ISP, it
    doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. In any case, there are hundreds of
    alternatives - and they all need to be set up one way or another.

    > If so, can I keep my current mail addresses?

    That is entirely up to you and whatever email service providers provide
    them, and the way you set up your email program(s).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 4, 2006
  6. eugene

    Mike Easter Guest

    eugene wrote:

    > The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
    > e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was
    > ''. Subject 'x', Account:
    > '', Server: 'mail.btopenworld.com',

    This part is telling you what a/your provider's mail server said when
    your OE tried to email with it. You have an account that you named with
    a haronstudios address and which uses the server mail.btopenworld.com.
    That server requires your OE to be configured for smtp authenticate as
    described on this page http://btyahoo.com/smtpnonbt Setting up a non-BT
    Yahoo! email account for SMTP authentication

    -- which information was also given in this part below

    > Protocol:
    > SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - Your email
    > could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your
    > email (known as SMTP authentication). For advice visit
    > www.btyahoo.com/smtp or call 0800 328 9968', Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
    > No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

    There is also an audio-visual guide to manual setup shown here
    http://www.btyahoo.com/mailtutorial/stepbystep/oe_setup

    However the AV guide demonstrates a new account, but the 2nd half of the
    demonstration shows how to amend the created new account.

    Basically smtp authentication requires that you access the sending
    server with a username + password the same way you access the popserver
    to receive mail with a username + password.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 4, 2006
  7. eugene

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-10-04, Gordon <> wrote:
    > "eugene" <> wrote in message

    snip

    > the error message tells you all - you are obviously trying to send using the
    > ntlworld smtp server while connected to the internet through BT Yahoo.
    > Either authenticate the NTLworld smtp server in your email client, or
    > replace it with that of BT Yahoo.

    Believe it or not, I don't think NTL has any involvement in this one at
    all <G>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 4, 2006
  8. eugene

    eugene Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:03:09 +0100, eugene Has Frothed:
    >
    >> hi. I wonder can anybody help me. I am using OE but have not been able to
    >> send mail for the past month or so. I get the following error message;
    >>
    >> The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
    >> e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was
    >> ''. Subject 'x', Account:
    >> '', Server: 'mail.btopenworld.com', Protocol:
    >> SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - Your email could
    >> not
    >> be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your email (known
    >> as
    >> SMTP authentication). For advice visit www.btyahoo.com/smtp or call 0800
    >> 328 9968', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number:
    >> 0x800CCC78
    >>
    >> This used to happen way back but I cannot remember how it was fixed. I
    >> have a notion that I took out some sort of subscription but as my credit
    >> card was stolen during the summer, it was cancelled so if I was paying a
    >> monthly fee, it hasn't been paid. However, I thought that OE was
    >> completely free of charge. Please, can anybody tell me how to fix this as
    >> I have an urgent e-mail to send someone.
    >>
    >> Would I be better advised to switch to HotMail? If so, can I keep my
    >> current mail addresses?
    >>
    >> thanks

    > Send me some email and I'll help.

    > COOSN-266-06-25794

    hahahah you are so funny!
    eugene, Oct 4, 2006
  9. eugene

    Gordon Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-10-04, Gordon <> wrote:
    >> "eugene" <> wrote in message

    > snip
    >
    >> the error message tells you all - you are obviously trying to send using
    >> the
    >> ntlworld smtp server while connected to the internet through BT Yahoo.
    >> Either authenticate the NTLworld smtp server in your email client, or
    >> replace it with that of BT Yahoo.

    > Believe it or not, I don't think NTL has any involvement in this one at
    > all <G>

    I realised that after I'd posted......
    Gordon, Oct 4, 2006
  10. eugene

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-10-04, Gordon <> wrote:
    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-10-04, Gordon <> wrote:
    >>> "eugene" <> wrote in message

    >> snip
    >>
    >>> the error message tells you all - you are obviously trying to send using
    >>> the
    >>> ntlworld smtp server while connected to the internet through BT Yahoo.
    >>> Either authenticate the NTLworld smtp server in your email client, or
    >>> replace it with that of BT Yahoo.

    >> Believe it or not, I don't think NTL has any involvement in this one at
    >> all <G>
    >>

    > I realised that after I'd posted......

    It's an understandable mistake.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 4, 2006
  11. eugene

    eugene Guest

    > eugene wrote:
    >
    >> hi. I wonder can anybody help me. I am using OE but have not been able
    >> to send mail for the past month or so. I get the following error
    >> message;

    > Did you visit the supplied link in your error message?
    >
    > http://www.btyahoo.com/smtp
    >
    > ..which seems to give you the answer. There is a button on that page to
    > "install software". Personally, I would not let it do that; I would
    > change the setting myself. Also, I don't use Outlook Distress.

    > Apparently, this has nothing to do with how you pay for your account.
    > Read the link.

    The reason I haven't tried to fix it before now is that I haven't needed to
    send any mail. I had a heart attack six weeks ago and I have been
    recuperating. I did visit the link and I did try to change the settings but
    the same message comes up and I just cannot send mail. I took out a monthly
    payment of £1.50 pm for Premium Mail. The payments have stopped because of
    my cancelled credit card and I suspect that there is a connection there. I
    wonder how I could set up my accounts from scratch!
    eugene, Oct 5, 2006
  12. eugene

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Oct 5, 2006