    connect
    Can anyone help me with this little problem
    Thanks

    John, Nov 17, 2003

  2. John

    Todd Howard Guest

    Could be some sort of spyware.....go to downloads.com and download a program
    called Spybot-Search and Destroy....
    Also make sure your Antivirus is up to date....
    TH

    Todd Howard, Nov 18, 2003

  3. John

    Thor Guest

    could even be a pesky 3rd party toolbar that was installed online. Since
    folder windows can contain many of the same toolbars as the browser, it
    could be a toolbar with spyware attached that is invoking the dialup.

    Thor, Nov 18, 2003
  4. John

    Pepperoni Guest

    I'm not sure of your OS. In win98, go to control panel/Internet Properties/
    connections tab. Select "never dial a connection", click "APPLY", then "OK"
    then reboot. Make a shortcut to your preferred dialup connection for your
    program list or desktop for future use. This should stop the prompts.

    There is also a problem with Outlook Express if you have preferences set to
    check for mail on a timed interval. You may have it set to connect if a
    connection is not present. Tools/Options/general; under send/receive
    messages, uncheck "check for new messages every [ ] minutes" and/or select
    "do not dial a connection" (if a connection is not present)

    Since OE shares preferences with IE, you may need to modify both settings.

    Pepperoni, Nov 18, 2003
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:27:18 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >could even be a pesky 3rd party toolbar that was installed online. Since
    >folder windows can contain many of the same toolbars as the browser, it
    >could be a toolbar with spyware attached that is invoking the dialup.

    I do have one of those 3 party tool bars I cant get rid of
    this is what it says in view/ toolbars youcstqixmb
    I have spybot and have ran it 3 times did the 3rd today
    498 spywares it is immunized me from
    I had a shit load of them
    cool program but didnt fix my problem
    the only way I know how to fix is to format and start again and I
    really dont want to go that route
    I have tryed to remove a program in add and remove thinking it is the
    tool bar one but it wont remove it locks up and says its not there
    so I reboot in safe mode and still wont remove it
    would you know how I can remove that tool bar
    anyways thanks for you help

    ..

    John, Nov 18, 2003
  6. John

    Thor Guest

    try Adaware then. Spybot, and Adaware each often find stuff the the other
    one misses.

    Thor, Nov 18, 2003
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:58:51 -0500, "Pepperoni"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm not sure of your OS. In win98, go to control panel/Internet Properties/
    >connections tab. Select "never dial a connection", click "APPLY", then "OK"
    >then reboot. Make a shortcut to your preferred dialup connection for your
    >program list or desktop for future use. This should stop the prompts.
    >
    >There is also a problem with Outlook Express if you have preferences set to
    >check for mail on a timed interval. You may have it set to connect if a
    >connection is not present. Tools/Options/general; under send/receive
    >messages, uncheck "check for new messages every [ ] minutes" and/or select
    >"do not dial a connection" (if a connection is not present)
    >
    >Since OE shares preferences with IE, you may need to modify both settings.

    I have xp I download 3 different spy/add ware programs this morning
    and they all found more spy and add ware but failed to remove the
    the one in in toolbar but did susceed in it not working any more
    I did as you said and put never dial a connection in controlpannel/int
    properties and its not opening the dial box no more but opening
    another box that says the web page is not avable do you want to work
    off line or try again.im opening a folder on desk top not web page!
    anymore ideas would be apreasheated
    thanks to all for reading and helping

    John, Nov 18, 2003
  8. John