help please..

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Becky, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Becky

    Becky Guest

    I'm applying for a job and they're asking me to complete this quiz..
    Problem is, I only know the answer to some of the questions; not all..
    And I really want this!!

    Please, if someone could, answer to some or all of the questions, it'd
    be great.. I've marked the ones I already know, though if they are
    incorrect, please do let me know..

    Thank you very much,

    Rebecca.

    Question 1:
    In Windows NT / 2000, what is a SERVICE?

    Answer:
    An application that runs as a service.

    A Back-Office application.

    A process that runs in the background with specific logon credentials.

    A process that runs in the background as the currently logged-on user.

    Need more information to accurately answer this question.

    Question 2:
    What are the THREE primary event logs found on a Windows NT 4.0 server?

    Answer:
    Application, System, Security. <-

    Application, Operations, Security.

    Performance, System, Detection.

    Performance, System, Application.

    Performance, System, Security.

    Question 3:
    How many Event Logs would be found on a standard Windows 2000 Domain
    Controller?

    Answer:
    3. <-?

    5.

    6.

    7.

    8.

    Question 4:
    Which of the following is a good example of a SERVICE that is running
    on a Windows 2000 machine?

    Answer:
    JAVA.

    Internet Explorer.

    Microsoft Office.

    Spooler.

    Task Manager.

    Question 5:
    In device manager, my Network Card has a yellow Question-Mark next to
    it. What does this mean?

    Answer:
    Severe Hardware Failure.

    Driver not installed properly or conflict. <-

    Network Cable unplugged.

    Network Cable is bad.

    BLASTER virus infection.

    Question 6:
    I need to run a task every day on my NT 4.0 server. What command line
    utility can I use to do this?

    Answer:
    NTBLOGGER.

    Autoexec.bat.

    CMD.

    Event Manager.

    AT command. <-

    Question 7:
    Name one difference between a CMD and a BAT file.

    Answer:
    BAT files cannot run under Windows 2000.

    CMD files cannot run under Windows 9X. <-

    CMD files are designed for Windows 2003 only.

    BAT files run at system startup only.

    BAT files cannot be over 64K in size.

    Question 8:
    What is the utility in Windows that I would use to monitor disk space
    in megabytes on my Windows 2000 server?

    Answer:
    Task Manager.

    Performance Monitor.

    Disk Manager.

    DEFRAG.

    Control Panel.

    Question 9:
    What is an example of a class A IP mask?

    Answer:
    255.255.255.0.

    255.255.0.0.

    255.0.0.0. <-

    0.0.0.0.

    Question 10:
    What does the acronym "WMI" stand for?

    Answer:
    Windows MUTEX Implementation.

    Windows MUTEX Instrumentation.

    Windows Manager Illustrator.

    Windows Management Implementation.

    Windows Management Instrumentation. <-

    Question 11:
    Which of the following devices CANNOT be monitored with PERFMON.EXE?

    Answer:
    Windows 2003 Server.

    Windows XP.

    Windows NT 4.0. <-

    Windows 98.

    PERFMON is not a valid command.

    Question 12:
    Approximately how many services would you normally see on a Windows
    2000 Server?

    Answer:
    1.

    5.

    11.

    50000.

    150.

    Question 13:
    About how many local groups are installed by default when you configure
    a Windows 2000 Professional machine?

    Answer:
    4.

    10.

    15.

    20.

    1.

    Question 14:
    What is the difference between a global group and a local group in
    Windows networking?

    Answer:
    A local group resides only on domain controllers.

    A global group resides only on member servers.

    Global groups are domain-wide.

    Local groups are domain-wide.

    Local groups only reside on WORKGROUP machines.

    Question 15:
    What is the difference between the local administrator account and the
    domain administrator account?

    Answer:
    The local administrator account resides only on domain controllers.

    The domain administrator account is valid only on domain controllers.

    The local administrator account is valid only on workstations.

    The domain administrator account has rights over every machine in the
    domain.

    The local administrator account has rights over every machine in the
    domain.

    Question 16:
    What is the maximum amount of physical RAM supported by Windows NT 4.0
    Workstation?

    Answer:
    1 Gigabyte.

    2 Gigabytes.

    4 Gigabytes.

    8 Gigabytes.

    16 Gigabytes.

    Question 17:
    What is a "GIGABYTE"?

    Answer:
    1024 Bytes.

    1024 Kilobytes.

    1024 Megabytes. <-

    1024 Terabytes.

    None of these are correct.

    Question 18:
    New hardware I installed on my server is not functioning at all. Where
    in Windows do I need to look to diagnose this issue?

    Answer:
    Device Manager.

    Driver Manager.

    Start the "Found New Hardware Wizard".

    Hardware Configuration Tools.

    Performance Monitor.

    Question 19:
    What is the difference between a LAN and a WAN?

    Answer:
    LAN is the entire network. WAN is the local network.

    WAN is the Wireless Network.

    Every WAN contains one or more LAN.

    Every LAN contains one or more WAN.

    WAN stands for "Windows Advanced Networking".

    Question 20:
    What is the difference between a HUB and a SWITCH?

    Answer:
    A HUB shares bandwidth among all connected devices. A Switch does not.
    Thus, a SWITCH is usually much faster. <-

    A SWITCH shares bandwidth among all connected devices. A HUB does not.
    Thus, a HUB is usually much faster.

    A HUB only operates at 10MB / Half Duplex.

    A SWITCH only operates at 100MB / Full Duplex.

    A HUB and a SWITCH are the same thing, and both can operate at either
    10MB or 100MB and Half or Full Duplex.

    Becky, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Would that not be like going to college and having someone answer part of
    the test for you? Yes, you got many of the answers right. ...and in one of
    the questions, where a possibility of two answers exists, they included only
    one of the right answers. ...and one of the other questions has two
    possible answers and both are pretty good.

    Google can help you find the answers...
    The google search ' default groups "Windows 2000 Professional" ' :
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=default groups "Windows 2000 Professional"
    returns a few sets of answers, one of which is this:
    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=98119
    ....and about 1/3 of the way down, one of your questions in the quiz below is
    answered. Granted, you will have to count and compare, but it is answere
    nonetheless.

    Bob

    --
    Bob Christian II
    MVP - LCS

    Bob Christian, Oct 26, 2005

  3. That Walmart lady paid $20,000 for someone to do her work. I'll take
    $20USD.

    --
    Famous last words: "Hey, check this out!"

    Bill McPherson, Oct 27, 2005
  4. "Becky" <> wrote in message
    > I'm applying for a job and they're asking me to complete this quiz..
    > Problem is, I only know the answer to some of the questions; not all..
    > And I really want this!!

    So it's an open-book quiz...Consider yourself lucky they didn't ask this in
    an interview ;-)

    They are checking if you are resourceful enough to find answers to these
    questions.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/default.mspx is your friend.

    Most of your answers so far are correct, but some are not. This site is
    really all you need.

    Good luck!
    --
    Leonid S. Knyshov, CEO - Let me know if you are looking for work
    Crashproof Solutions, LLC - http://www.crashproofsolutions.com

    Leonid S. Knyshov, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Becky

    Becky Guest

    Hi..

    Thanks for all your replies.. By far the friendliest group out there..
    You wouldn't believe the crap that some people said to me for asking
    for help..

    Hhmm.. Okay perhaps I should have anticipated it..

    I'm not trying to get someone to do my homework for me. Granted, it's
    what it might seem like. The fact is, I entered what I thought were the
    correct answers and only got 8/20. Pathetic effort, I thought. So, I
    went back and eliminated the answers I had a 'guess' at, and came up
    with the few above that I marked.. Nevertheless, I will go back and
    revise them all, checking my answers with the sites provided..

    Again, thanks for all the help..

    Bec.

    Becky, Oct 27, 2005