    Is there a utility that will provide simple editing of AVI
    files? Any help anyone cares to give me will be greatly
    appreciated.

    Bob Cunningham, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Bob Cunningham

    Paul H. Guest

    "Bob Cunningham" <> wrote in message
    news:p...

    > I have a Canon S45 that takes both stills and movies. While
    > the video clips are in the camera I can do a little editing
    > on them; that is, I can cut stuff from either the beginning
    > or the end and either overwrite the original file or write
    > the changed version into a new file.
    >
    > After I upload the video clips to my computer I have no way
    > to do any editing. I would like to be able to do front-end
    > and back-end snipping, but I would also like to be able to
    > combine two AVI files into one movie and to snip segments
    > from the middle of a file.
    >
    > Is there a utility that will provide simple editing of AVI
    > files? Any help anyone cares to give me will be greatly
    > appreciated.

    Here are three places to go to get you started

    1) www.virtualdub.org
    2) www.radgametools.com
    3) www.tmpgenc.com

    1) and 3) are fairly serious tools and have a slight learning curve. It may
    be, though, that VirtualDub is the only program you really need for your own
    purposes.

    Here's an example of what you can do with these tools: About a year ago I
    shot a series of small video clips in .MOV (QuickTime) format with my
    Olympus C-2100UZ at various locations around the Berkeley, CA hills during a
    major Pacific storm. Using RAD Video Tools, I converted the .MOV files to
    ..AVI format, then merged them into a single .AVI using VirtualDub. I
    deleted the audio tracks for all movies and, again using VirtualDub, I
    replaced the old sound tracks with a .WAV file of Chris Rea's song "The Road
    to Hell". The whole thing came out very nice and I encoded it as a DiVX
    file, burned it, and sent it to a friend back east.

    All that with free tools.

    Good luck!

    Paul H., Jul 23, 2003

  3. Bob Cunningham

    Abrasha Guest

    Bob Cunningham wrote:

    > I have a Canon S45 that takes both stills and movies. While
    > the video clips are in the camera I can do a little editing
    > on them; that is, I can cut stuff from either the beginning
    > or the end and either overwrite the original file or write
    > the changed version into a new file.
    >
    > After I upload the video clips to my computer I have no way
    > to do any editing. I would like to be able to do front-end
    > and back-end snipping, but I would also like to be able to
    > combine two AVI files into one movie and to snip segments
    > from the middle of a file.
    >
    > Is there a utility that will provide simple editing of AVI
    > files? Any help anyone cares to give me will be greatly
    > appreciated.

    There are many programs available for that.

    Ask around in rec.video.desktop.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Bob Cunningham

    Abrasha Guest

    "Paul H." wrote:

    > "Bob Cunningham" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > I have a Canon S45 that takes both stills and movies. While
    > > the video clips are in the camera I can do a little editing
    > > on them; that is, I can cut stuff from either the beginning
    > > or the end and either overwrite the original file or write
    > > the changed version into a new file.
    > >
    > > After I upload the video clips to my computer I have no way
    > > to do any editing. I would like to be able to do front-end
    > > and back-end snipping, but I would also like to be able to
    > > combine two AVI files into one movie and to snip segments
    > > from the middle of a file.
    > >
    > > Is there a utility that will provide simple editing of AVI
    > > files? Any help anyone cares to give me will be greatly
    > > appreciated.

    > Here are three places to go to get you started
    >
    > 1) www.virtualdub.org
    > 2) www.radgametools.com
    > 3) www.tmpgenc.com

    None of these programs are "editing" programs. The last one is an "encoder"

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Bob Cunningham

    Paul H. Guest

    "Abrasha" <> wrote in message
    > "Paul H." wrote:
    > >

    > appreciated.
    > >
    > > Here are three places to go to get you started
    > >
    > > 1) www.virtualdub.org
    > > 2) www.radgametools.com
    > > 3) www.tmpgenc.com
    > >

    > None of these programs are "editing" programs. The last one is an

    "encoder"

    > Abrasha
    > http://www.abrasha.com

    Wrong. Tmpgenc provides mpeg cut-and-paste capability from within the
    program and VirtualDUB lets one join AVI clips and dub audio to create large
    AVI files from a series of smaller ones. No, they are not full-function
    video editing programs but they are more than sufficient to meet the needs
    of the original poster. And they are free.

    Get your facts straight before "correcting" others.

    Paul H., Jul 23, 2003
  6. Bob Cunningham

    Abrasha Guest

    "Paul H." wrote:

    > "Abrasha" <> wrote in message
    > > "Paul H." wrote:
    > > >

    > > appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Here are three places to go to get you started
    > > >
    > > > 1) www.virtualdub.org
    > > > 2) www.radgametools.com
    > > > 3) www.tmpgenc.com
    > > >

    > > None of these programs are "editing" programs. The last one is an

    > "encoder"
    > >
    > > Abrasha
    > > http://www.abrasha.com

    > Wrong. Tmpgenc provides mpeg cut-and-paste capability from within the
    > program and VirtualDUB lets one join AVI clips and dub audio to create large
    > AVI files from a series of smaller ones. No, they are not full-function
    > video editing programs but they are more than sufficient to meet the needs
    > of the original poster. And they are free.
    >
    > Get your facts straight before "correcting" others.

    You don't know what you are talking about!

    From http://www.virtualdub.org:

    Welcome to virtualdub.org!
    What is VirtualDub?
    VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows platforms

    From http://www.tmpgenc.com/

    With TMPGEnc DVD Author you can change (author) you MPEG-1 / MPEG-2 files to
    DVD-Video structured files. Using high quality MPEG files made by the "TMPGEnc
    Plus 2.5 series" or captured by an MPEG capture device, it is possible to
    perform your own DVD authoring quick and easy.

    In fact the "enc" in Tmpgenc stands for "encoder" And as they say themselves,
    it is a DVD authoring program, not an editor.

    Both of these programs are not video editors by any stretch of the imagination.
    Joining AVI clips is not editing. Neither is cutting and pasting.

    Get your facts straight, period.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Jul 28, 2003
  7. Bob Cunningham

    Paul H. Guest

    "Abrasha" <> wrote in message
    > You don't know what you are talking about!
    >
    > From http://www.virtualdub.org:
    >
    > Welcome to virtualdub.org!
    > What is VirtualDub?
    > VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows

    platforms

    > From http://www.tmpgenc.com/
    >
    > With TMPGEnc DVD Author you can change (author) you MPEG-1 / MPEG-2 files

    > DVD-Video structured files. Using high quality MPEG files made by the

    "TMPGEnc
    > Plus 2.5 series" or captured by an MPEG capture device, it is possible to
    > perform your own DVD authoring quick and easy.
    >
    > In fact the "enc" in Tmpgenc stands for "encoder" And as they say

    themselves,
    > it is a DVD authoring program, not an editor.
    >
    > Both of these programs are not video editors by any stretch of the

    imagination.
    > Joining AVI clips is not editing. Neither is cutting and pasting.
    >
    > Get your facts straight, period.
    >
    > Abrasha
    > http://www.abrasha.com

    \
    You are a complete and utter moron. Here's the original request to which I
    responded:

    > After I upload the video clips to my computer I have no way
    > to do any editing. I would like to be able to do front-end
    > and back-end snipping, but I would also like to be able to
    > combine two AVI files into one movie and to snip segments
    > from the middle of a file.
    >
    > Is there a utility that will provide simple editing of AVI
    > files? Any help anyone cares to give me will be greatly
    > appreciated.

    Understand? He did not want a full-fledged video editor, just one which
    would do basic cut, paste, and join operations. Understand? And at no
    point did I ever claim any of the apps I mentioned were full video editors.
    Now, since you like URLS, try these:

    http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_history.html

    QUOTE

    There is a tool called "MPEG Tools" in TMPGEnc. This tool enables to
    de/multiplex audio and video or to cut/merge movies. These operations are
    done in binary level, thus there is no re-compression.

    END QUOTE.

    Since MPEG Tools, requires mpeg's I also suggest the use of "Rad Tools"
    which would let the poster converted from .avi to .mpg.

    By the way, you went to the wrong site--it's .NET, not .COM which holds and
    describes the program to which I referred. I could care less about the DVD
    encoder.

    Regarding Virtual Dub, from http://www.virtualdub.org/features

    QUOTE

    Reads and writes AVI2 (OpenDML) and multi-segment AVI clips.
    Integrated MPEG-1 and Motion-JPEG decoders.
    Remove and replace audio tracks without touching the video.
    Extensive video filter set, including blur, sharpen, emboss, smooth, 3x3
    convolution, flip, resize rotate, brightness/contrast, levels, deinterlace,
    and threshold.
    Bilinear and bicubic resampling -- no blocky resizes or rotates here.
    Decompress and recompress both audio and video.
    Remove segments of a video clip and save the rest, without recompressing.
    Adjust frame rate, decimate frames, and 3:2 pulldown removal.
    Preview the results, with live audio.
    You can take a captured clip, trim the ends, clean up some of the noise,
    convert it to the proper frame size, and write out a better one. Don't see
    a video filter you want? Write your own, with the filter SDK

    END QUOTE

    =============================

    While these programs are not complete video editors (a claim I never made,
    anyway!), they can indeed perform limited video editing functions of the
    type requested by the original poster. It is obvious from your responses
    you have never used either of these programs and you seem NOT to have even
    read the original post to which I responded. Did you even note the part
    where I told the requester "These programs will get you STARTED?" No, of
    course not. You were so focussed on being a smug, know-it-all jerk, you
    just took the barest opportunity to pounce and show off your limited
    "knowledge".

    So now go screw yourself--you are now, and will always be, in my killfile.
    I have no patience for quibbling idiots who are intent on sowing discord and
    boosting their own frail egos, rather than helping anyone. People like you
    are ruining usenet.

    Paul H., Jul 28, 2003