Help please: replacing/upgrading modem in Vaio desktop; other ideas?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Theo, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. Theo

    Theo Guest

    Apologies in advance if this is not an appropriate forum; didn't find
    anything more specific (and browsing is hard, per below). Sony is not
    being helpful.

    I have a VGC-RA840G, WinXP-MCE, Thunderbird/Firefox, ZoneLabs AV and
    firewall, AT&T Worldnet dial-up Internet. Everything worked OK for about
    a year. Then networking got very slow - about 3kB/minute, most of the
    time. This is indicated in Win Performance Monitor as occasional bursts
    of activity, with long network silences. Worldnet logon indicates normal
    speeds in the range of 40-50 kb/sec. I ran an on-line bandwidth speed
    test, which indicated 31 kb/sec. IE browser runs just as slowly, so it's
    not Mozilla.

    So I'm assuming that the problem is internal. I cleared all .tmp files
    and everything else the clean-up utility didn't like, defragged the HD
    (though only half full), and upgraded ZoneAlarm, WNet Connection
    Manager, and both Mozilla programs. No improvement. Only thing left I
    can think of is the modem: according to Device Manager it's "HDAudio
    SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP" with driver CXT 7.12.5.52.

    1. Is it safe for a relatively unsophisticated user to download and
    install a replacement?

    2. If so, should I get a different one? I can't seem to find an update,
    through Sony, the PC's own updater, or Web searching.

    3. Any other suggestions as to what might be wrong?

    Thanks very much in advance. I'd be happy to pay for help, if I could
    just find it here in the woods!

    -Theo
    Theo, Feb 8, 2007

  2. Theo

    Guest

    Theo <> wrote:

    >Apologies in advance if this is not an appropriate forum; didn't find
    >anything more specific (and browsing is hard, per below). Sony is not
    >being helpful.
    >
    >I have a VGC-RA840G, WinXP-MCE, Thunderbird/Firefox, ZoneLabs AV and
    >firewall, AT&T Worldnet dial-up Internet. Everything worked OK for about
    >a year. Then networking got very slow - about 3kB/minute, most of the
    >time. This is indicated in Win Performance Monitor as occasional bursts
    >of activity, with long network silences. Worldnet logon indicates normal
    >speeds in the range of 40-50 kb/sec. I ran an on-line bandwidth speed
    >test, which indicated 31 kb/sec. IE browser runs just as slowly, so it's
    >not Mozilla.
    >
    >So I'm assuming that the problem is internal. I cleared all .tmp files
    >and everything else the clean-up utility didn't like, defragged the HD
    >(though only half full), and upgraded ZoneAlarm, WNet Connection
    >Manager, and both Mozilla programs. No improvement. Only thing left I
    >can think of is the modem: according to Device Manager it's "HDAudio
    >SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP" with driver CXT 7.12.5.52.
    >
    >1. Is it safe for a relatively unsophisticated user to download and
    >install a replacement?
    >
    >2. If so, should I get a different one? I can't seem to find an update,
    >through Sony, the PC's own updater, or Web searching.
    >
    >3. Any other suggestions as to what might be wrong?
    >
    >Thanks very much in advance. I'd be happy to pay for help, if I could
    >just find it here in the woods!
    >
    >-Theo

    First reset the modem
    Start | Run <type in>
    hypertrm
    <enter>

    type/click anything to get to a blank screen type in: ATZ <enter>
    you might not see what you typed. but you will see OK if accepted.
    -this resets the modem.

    Replacement? go external, you have visual indication to what's going
    on (Lights) and can be unplug - reset the power if need be.
    --
    http://nynerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/ohsnap.gif
    , Feb 8, 2007

  3. Theo

    Theo Guest

    Re: Help please: replacing/upgrading modem in Vaio desktop; otherideas?

    wrote:
    > First reset the modem
    > Start | Run <type in>
    > hypertrm
    > <enter>
    >
    > type/click anything to get to a blank screen type in: ATZ <enter>
    > you might not see what you typed. but you will see OK if accepted.
    > -this resets the modem.
    >
    > Replacement? go external, you have visual indication to what's going
    > on (Lights) and can be unplug - reset the power if need be.

    Much obliged for the thought, Pennywise. I just tried that, but it
    didn't help.

    On my last PC, I used an external modem, and it was much better than the
    internal one. When I bought this new Vaio, the salesman said that
    current softmodems are just as fast as externals, so I gave it to
    Goodwill. (And got good results, until now.) Maybe I'll try that.

    What about replacing that HDAudio SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
    CXT 7.12.5.52 with a downloaded copy of same if I can find it, or a
    newer one? Is that very risky?

    Thanks again-

    Theo
    Theo, Feb 8, 2007
  4. Theo

    Guest

    Theo <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> First reset the modem
    >> Start | Run <type in>
    >> hypertrm
    >> <enter>
    >>
    >> type/click anything to get to a blank screen type in: ATZ <enter>
    >> you might not see what you typed. but you will see OK if accepted.
    >> -this resets the modem.
    >>
    >> Replacement? go external, you have visual indication to what's going
    >> on (Lights) and can be unplug - reset the power if need be.

    >Much obliged for the thought, Pennywise. I just tried that, but it
    >didn't help.
    >
    >On my last PC, I used an external modem, and it was much better than the
    >internal one. When I bought this new Vaio, the salesman said that
    >current softmodems are just as fast as externals, so I gave it to
    >Goodwill. (And got good results, until now.) Maybe I'll try that.
    >
    >What about replacing that HDAudio SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
    >CXT 7.12.5.52 with a downloaded copy of same if I can find it, or a
    >newer one? Is that very risky?

    Don't know anything about them, I wouldn't buy anything other than a
    Supra external, and never ever mess with a Winmodem.

    --
    Bunch of drunks...
    http://www.dr.dk/p3/monkey_old/stablinger.asp
  5. Theo

    Guest

    , Feb 8, 2007
  6. Theo

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I wouldn't buy anything other than a
    >> Supra external

    > I ment Robotics external brand.

    Did that, and re-did all the drivers and a few other things, plus
    re-reinstalled ZoneAlarm AV. Don't know which did it, but it's all OK
    now (I think).

    Thanks!

    -Theo
    Theo, Feb 10, 2007
  7. Theo

    Guest

    Theo <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I wouldn't buy anything other than a
    >>> Supra external

    >> I ment Robotics external brand.

    >Did that, and re-did all the drivers and a few other things, plus
    >re-reinstalled ZoneAlarm AV. Don't know which did it, but it's all OK
    >now (I think).
    >
    >Thanks!

    An external modem is the only way to go, I've had two worms in my
    time, and both I caught by the modem lights dialup/DSL.

    I have nothing that updates other than NOD32, and that ask if it can
    call out; So if there is any activity on the modem that I can't
    explain, I'll look into it.

    --
    Two Lake Erie UFO's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QZxsM8xWFA