HELP PLEASE - re Sony digital camera...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David_Hyams, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. David_Hyams

    David_Hyams Guest

    I am hoping that someone here can help me.

    My wife and I are completely new to digital photography and while in New
    York recently, to run in the marathon, we were tempted to buy the Sony DSC
    P32 digital camera. Now that we are home, we are looking at it and wondering
    just what we have bought. It has a 16mb memory stick but I cannot understand
    how many pictures that allows us to store on the camera. There is a table in
    the accompanying booklet which states the number of images that can be saved
    in the memory stick.It quotes for "fine" and "standard" images and also
    quotes for various image sizes(3.1m,2.8m,2.0m,1.2m and something called VGA
    whatever that is). What does all this mean? I basically want to take a load
    of pictures (say, 100 or so), on holidays etc, and decide which ones I want
    to keep when I get home. Do I need to get a larger memory stick?

    Any assistance would be appreciated. Perhaps there is a website somewhere
    that can be of help. I didn't realise all this digital stuff was so complex!

    Thanks

    David Hyams
    David_Hyams, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Welcome to the (sometimes confusing) world of digital photography. In most
    simple terms, your camera allows you to chose from several different
    "resolutions" to suite your needs. Higher resolution will generally produce
    better pics for printing. A 16mb memory stick will get you started, but if
    you shoot at highest resolution and each pic is 3.1 mb, you can't get many
    on a 16 mb stick. Most likely you will want to get a higher capacity stick.
    Good news is that the 128 and 256 mb sticks have come down in price quite a
    bit (I recently bought several 128 mb sticks for 39.95 each). Best place to
    start your research is here:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscp32.asp

    and here:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=sony_dscp32

    and also in the Sony forums here:

    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009

    Good luck, have patience and don't be discouraged.

    gilbert grape, Nov 26, 2003