    that I can do nothing.

    Many thanks for all your help.

    Julia
    Julia Alveres, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Julia Alveres

    Plato Guest

    Julia Alveres wrote:

    > I am new to computers and my question is I have a quantex laptop and I
    > want to reformat the harddrive but I never got the usual recovery disk
    > with it in the first place.

    What did the Quantex website offer?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Julia Alveres

    Toby Guest

    Which version of Windows are you using? Do you have a Windows CD?

    If you are using Win 9x (98, 98se or ME) you can use a "Windows Startup"
    floppy disk to boot to DOS, and depending on the OS get access to the CD
    drive so that you can reinstall Windows from CD after you reformat the HDD.
    You can create the boot disk from within Windows, although I don't remember
    where. Nowadays most machines will boot from CD if the BIOS is set to do so,
    and as I remember Win 2K will let you do everything you need including
    reformatting or repartitioning from the Win CD. I assume XP must do as well.

    Drivers could be a problem. Windows might contain some or all the ones you
    need, but you can't count on that, especially if it is an older OS. One
    thing you can do if they are not on the manufacturer's website is check all
    the drivers installed presently (maker, #, etc.) and collect everything you
    need on floppies or on a CD for use after you reinstall. Even without the
    correct drivers for everything (like graphics and sound cards) you will
    still have basic control of mouse, keyboard, floppy, CD, etc. so that you
    can reinstall the drivers after a Windows reinstall. But you may well have
    to do everything piecemeal and you should have everything you need at hand
    so that, for instance, you are not stuck needing a driver for a network card
    that you can only get online after you have the driver for the network card
    installed...

    I'm no expert, so if I have said anything inaccurate I hope one of the
    wizards out there will correct me.

    Toby

    Toby, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Julia Alveres

    philo Guest

    > hello
    >
    > I am new to computers and my question is I have a quantex laptop and I
    > want to reformat the harddrive but I never got the usual recovery disk
    > with it in the first place.
    >
    > I have put in an IBM disk but it refused ( ibm) to work as it is not
    > an ibm computer)
    >
    > Can I buy a general recovery cd ? that will wipe this pc and
    > re-install with just basic windows?
    >
    > The man at Circuit city said no as I would ned drivers for the pc and
    > that I can do nothing.

    although you will need to contact the mfg to see if they have a recovery
    disk

    i advise you to repair your installation rather than just reformat

    if you post what your problem is

    someone may be able to help you
    philo, Oct 23, 2003