Help Please! Partition Has Vanished!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by madlove@optonline.net, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi:
    I have a G4 / OS X and my music hard drive partition has vanished. I
    run Protools on OS 9 and I partitioned my hard drive for music files.
    Can my partition be recovered? Do I have any options? There's no
    drives visible to re-mount either. Chris
     
    , Dec 3, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mitch Guest

    [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
    the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Hi:
    > I have a G4 / OS X and my music hard drive partition has vanished. I
    > run Protools on OS 9 and I partitioned my hard drive for music files.
    > Can my partition be recovered? Do I have any options? There's no
    > drives visible to re-mount either. Chris
    >


    Open Disk Utility.
    On the left, you will see an icon for the hard drive (with partitions
    below it)
    select the partition icon that isn't mounted, and click Mount.

    If you don't see it, restart.
    Hold shift down, so you can Safe Boot.
    Use Disk Utility again.
    Always look for the partition you are missing, and don't do anything
    drastic yet. Also, don't write anything to that partition.
     
    Mitch, Dec 3, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Hi Mitch:
    I did a safe boot... and the partition didnt appear in disk utility.
    Any other suggestions? or is there recovery software you'd recc? Chris
     
    , Dec 4, 2005
    #3
  4. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Hi Mitch:
    > I did a safe boot... and the partition didnt appear in disk utility.
    > Any other suggestions? or is there recovery software you'd recc? Chris
    >

    Next step is starting up from CD, and checking what Disk Utility finds
    there.
    Just to check, start up with the command-option-p-r keys held down;
    this will force the machine to reset some hardware parameters.

    Failing that seeing the second partition, I'd use Disk Warrior.
    Tech Tool Pro is also good.
    I no longer like Norton tools as much.
     
    Mitch, Dec 4, 2005
    #4
  5. Guest

    Mitch,

    We started up with the CD, no partition in disk utility, also started
    up holding down command-option-p-r. Ran Apple's Hardware Test from the
    cd and it detected an error in the Mass Storage. Error Code:
    2STF/2/3:ATA-100 ata-6-Slave. It recommended sending to Apple care for
    repairs. Do you know what this error code means? Should I send to Apple
    or purchase Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro. Also - I can't afford both
    and it seems like they are slightly different, with reviews saying that
    Tech Tool Pro is better for general maintainence. Which would you
    reccommend as being better for partition recovery if I can only get
    one?

    Thanks for your help.
    Chris.
     
    , Dec 4, 2005
    #5
  6. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Mitch,
    >
    > We started up with the CD, no partition in disk utility, also started
    > up holding down command-option-p-r. Ran Apple's Hardware Test from the
    > cd and it detected an error in the Mass Storage. Error Code:
    > 2STF/2/3:ATA-100 ata-6-Slave. It recommended sending to Apple care for
    > repairs. Do you know what this error code means? Should I send to Apple
    > or purchase Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro. Also - I can't afford both
    > and it seems like they are slightly different, with reviews saying that
    > Tech Tool Pro is better for general maintainence. Which would you
    > reccommend as being better for partition recovery if I can only get
    > one?


    No, I don't know that error.
    You didn't install any new drives?

    I'm afraid I've haven't had a serious problem for either one to solve.
    Disk Warrior seems to get higher marks for fixing this kind of drive
    problem.

    I'd suggest talking to Apple first; or at least using one of their user
    forums. If they say it might be solved with repair software, I'd get
    Disk Warrior.
    Let me ask, though; do you have nothing wrong with the other partition?
    I mean, it has always been recognized as the startup volume, and no
    files disappeared? That's a good thing; it gives you better options.

    Let's check it's SMART status. Open Disk Utility.
    At the bottom, it should say 'verified' -- other notes would warn of a
    potential problem with the drive, and I'd suggest getting a new hard
    drive, connecting it inside, installing OS X, and let the installer
    migrate your files.

    I'm guessing you have just one user set up? If so, is it known that no
    one deleted the partition in Disk Utility (or some third-party
    program)?

    Did you verify that the current partition is only part of the whole
    drive? It isn't showing the full drive capacity?

    There are third-party tools for managing partitions, of course, but
    until we have everything backed up from the missing partition, I'd just
    as soon avoid them. You'd be risking losing the contents of the
    partition.

    I'd love to suggest more tricks, but I always want to have a repair
    tool around, and I am guessing Disk Warrior will be able to help.
    One tip, if you go for that -- when you start up with it, it might take
    a while to work. Let it -- you don't want to force it out of the
    repair.
     
    Mitch, Dec 4, 2005
    #6
  7. Guest

    thanks for all the time & help Mitch. Unfort, nothing worked, ill have
    to figure out what im going to do next. Chris
     
    , Dec 5, 2005
    #7
  8. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > thanks for all the time & help Mitch. Unfort, nothing worked, ill have
    > to figure out what im going to do next. Chris
    >

    Dammit. Good news is that if you are not having any trouble with the
    other partition, so it's probably just a minor drive corruption or
    catalog corruption, and very likely recoverable.
    But you'll want to do a really solid check of the drive after you get
    everything off, to see if it might have a problem. I suggest making
    backups of the other files (your home directory, mainly) right now.

    Did you get a look at Disk Warrior yet?
     
    Mitch, Dec 5, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. KC
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    8,858
  2. *playaz*
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    4,460
    Malcolm William Mason
    Sep 7, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?QWx2aW4gU2FsZGFuaGE=?=

    Speech recognition has vanished suddenly

    =?Utf-8?B?QWx2aW4gU2FsZGFuaGE=?=, Feb 4, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    345
    =?Utf-8?B?QWx2aW4gU2FsZGFuaGE=?=
    Feb 4, 2007
  4. sabera61

    Erased file has vanished ?

    sabera61, Sep 25, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    621
    VanguardLH
    Sep 25, 2007
  5. Lilaceve

    Desktop has vanished - Hijackthis log included

    Lilaceve, Jul 2, 2008, in forum: General Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    777
    BohemianGeek
    Jul 5, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page